[possibly] binding brakes

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Hi guys. Just after some thoughts about what could be the problem with my leon... over the last weekend or so my brakes sound like they need changing - firstly squeaking a bit and getting progressively worse so it occaisionally sounds like a grinding noise. I took the wheels off to take a look at the pads though and from what I could see the front pads (where the noise has been coming from) are fine. The n/s/f had over 1 cm of pad inner and outer with neglible lip on the disc, with a slightly bigger lip on the o/s/f. The outer pad on the o/s/f was slightly lower than the n/s, although not enough to be worried about. I couldnt see the inner pad as I couldnt get all the blasted bolts off the hub.

Got to work this morn and the discs were all very hot to touch - all of them, front and back. rear pads were lower than fronts from what I could see this morn, so that may be the grinding noise.

Why would all my brakes be binding? If this is the case. It feels like the engine is pulling well but I'm not accelerating as well - as if the brakes are on slightly. A friend suggested wether the handbrake is attaching itself slightly, which it could be doing in theory I suppose, but wouldnt explain the noise and heat from the front brakes.

I'm going to try to get it in to a friends garage asap, but in the mean time anyone any suggestions as to what to look out for? Or what I could try? I suppose next thing is to take the calipers off and check whether they are all working properly.

Could anything like poor brake fluid be causing the pistons to keep the pads against the discs?

Thanks

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
cool, cheers. The fronts don't seem too bad now so im just going to leave them. Changed the rears as they were awful.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I possibly have a similar issue but i think its just my rear brakes binding...they smell very hot if that makes sense? did you ever find out if you had an issue with your brakes?

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Yeah mine were binding slightly, I had a touch of rust on the inside of the discs were they were corroded, which created the noise and heat. Try taking the wheel off and having a good look at the pads and discs, inside and outside, to see if you can see anything obvious like corroded discs or low pads.

Not sure what happened with the fronts, havent done anything to them and they are fine! Got my MOT next week so will find out then if there's anything wrong but I'm hoping there wont be!

I think I may have a slightly sticky caliper on my handbrake mech, not sure whether I had it before but my cable doesnt hit the stop when fully applied on one side. typical.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members