Pothole on M5 - now noise and vibration at 30mph!

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
Hi All,

I was travelling North on the M5 the other day, about 1 mile before J22 there is a hole in the road in the slow lane, I was cruising at 65mph as I was in no rush, when there was an almighty bang! It hurt my jaw not to mention the car! (I stopped at Sedgmore to have a look, in the dark, all appeared ok on the surface).

Then today I was going around a long sweeping left hander, accelerating from 30mph up to 60 (the limit) in 3rd. Then when I got to the next village..30mph and woah! there is a very odd noise from the same wheel that took a dive a couple of days ago! (drivers side). There is a kinda unhealthy/rubbing/friction kind of noise and vibration at exactly 30mph.

Anyone know what is most likely to have failed?

Cheers!

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Possible cracked alloy.
Maybe even the wheel weights have come off! I shouldn't think that was the case but thats two things to check, A friend of mine hit a small rock someone left in the road. It cracked the alloy made the car practically undriveable.

Those are two cheap things to check.

I imagine it would best to check wheel balancing and alignment.
If you can remember where the pothole was I'd contact the local council I wouldn't be paying for that, It could cause a very serious accident!

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
If you can remember where the pothole was I'd contact the local council I wouldn't be paying for that, It could cause a very serious accident!

My thoughts exactly, whatever it is make sure it comes out of their pockets not yours

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
Thanks for the advice, however as it was on the M5 and it was at night, I was not able to get a picture of the pothole or it's exact location.

About 2 weeks ago another pothole claimed the front passenger side tyre, so it has the spare wheel on it. I really hope I don't have to fork out for a new alloy!

If I do put in a claim, I have no real proof, and the council will say they did not know about it therefore they are not liable.

It's been a good Christmas time for me, over £250 worth of damage due to potholes by the looks of it.

Anyone got any FR alloys for sale?

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Easy enough just go out for a drive round some country lanes till you find a pothole deeper than 6 inches deep. Take a picture note the location and complain to the local council that it occured in.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise