Problem Fitting Polo Wiper

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
Haven't seen anything on the search, so either I'm being a bonehead, or there's something gone wrong here:

Removed the plastic cover no problem.

Unscrewed the bolt no problem.

Prised the old wiper off (jumped off the car and scratched the bumper on the way down...nice)

Put the new wiper on no problem

Tightened the bolt, and to test it.

Swish.... scratch.... swish.... scratch.....

:confused:

For some reason, the bit highlighted below is catching on the screen between say 11 and 1 o' clock.

977a7978.jpg

Should I have received / put on a washer or somethingn to space it out?

If I hold the wiper loosely on the bolt and wave it back and forth, it's fine, but when tightened (even gently), the housing presses on the screen :(

Please help!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The spline stub that the wiper presses onto with the nut is not poking through the hole enough. if you strip the tail gate trimm off you can get to the bolts that mount the wiper motor and adjust it so that it pokes through a bit more.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
The spline stub that the wiper presses onto with the nut is not poking through the hole enough. if you strip the tail gate trimm off you can get to the bolts that mount the wiper motor and adjust it so that it pokes through a bit more.

Awesome, I'll give it a go at the weekend!

Anything to look out for when removing trim? Bearing in mind I'm the guy who managed to scratch his bumper when removing a wiper.... :D

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yep, you will prob snap a few plastic clips as they are a bit strong and you have to pull quite hard.

Do a search for tailgate trim removal guide, that will help you loads.

Loosen the wiper motor mounting screws, push the motor up to poke the stub through the hole a bit more and then tighten the screws.

This problem has prob come from people using the wiper to push down and close the tailgate, this makes the motor drop down a bit and in some cases will bend the mounting bracket for the wiper motor, shoving it up a bit should do the trick.