Problem with Leon 1P (steering wheel is shaking)

Chrismh

Hello, I have a problem with my seat, the car has had periodic tremors since I bought it. It now has run 50,000 km, and I've tried a lot, 2 new sets of tires, one with the other rims, and have had 2 tracking times and balanced the tires a lot of times it has not helped, so it must be something mechanical.

Have tried to run for a seat mechanic, but the error never occurs when they test car.

I am thinking now that it must be something mechanical, it can be a drag axle? Are there any ways in which you want to see the error, or it is impossible when the problem is periodic?

I have tried to analyze the problem as well as I could, and if I run really slowly, really slowly so that even granny would be irritated, and only runs up to 120 km / h, I can avoid the quake.

But if I give much gas it shakes the steering wheel and seat. It can be really felt very at 140 km / h

I really hope some can give me some advice for what to do, it is really annoying to have given so much money for a car that does not work optimally.

Sorry that there may be bad grammar, but I've used google translate.:)

Chrismh

Yes sorry, I just forgot to tell this. Got my Brake discs shift of warranty when I had run 14.xxx km, because they were crooked.

It began to shake again shortly after they were installed.

Again at 23.xxx km, I advertised again, and brake discs were again switched on the guarantee, but Seat has rejected claim, but I got it free anyway.

So I do not think the problem is the brake discs, but they may have been influenced by a second defect.

As the problem is now at 50,000 km, brake discs only shakes when the car shakes and I brake.

During the periods where the car does not shake, the car brakes perfectly and cord straight.

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
I have virtyally the exact same problem.

Had the car 2 weeks and the discs were changed. Wobbling was still there but slightly less. Had it back to the dealers and they can't find the problem.

At low speeds going around corners I can hear a rubbing/grinding noise. Dealer doesnt want to know about it.

Chrismh

That sounds very identical to my problem.

It doesnt seems to give the car any damage, (except from shock absorber, or engine mounts) since the shaking disappear sometimes.

Well, i can avoid the problem, if i accelerate veeeeeery slow, and drive very slow, have you tried that?

But since i'm using the car for work, i drive alot, and sometimes i almost fall asleep, driving 80 km/h on the highway...

Now i really don't care about warranty, i wanna pay, just to get the problem fixed, im like this [:@]:(

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
Its your tyres, they have worn unevenly. Have you swapped back to front recently? Run your hand along the inside edge of both your front tyres, and see if there is any unevenness. If so solution is new tyres ;)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
When you get new brake discs you need to go easy on them for 200 miles or you will warp them very easy. warped discs will cause a wobble unde braking.

You could have worn dampers that mean you have the tyres skipping along the road if you go over a bump, this gives the tyres lots of flat spots. Skipping tyres from worn dampers under braking will cause the ABS to come on very easy.

you could have a strange shaped wheel lip (the bit that they clip the weights to) and the weights are moving. Get the wheels ballanced again and mark where the weights are with a marker pen and see if they move after 100 miles or so.

^^^^^Or get the sticky back weights.

Last edited:

Chrismh

There is no problem with my tyres, i have them balanced yesterday, and tested them with the Hunter GSP9700, they run perfectly.

Chrismh

When you get new brake discs you need to go easy on them for 200 miles or you will warp them very easy. warped discs will cause a wobble unde braking.

You could have worn dampers that mean you have the tyres skipping along the road if you go over a bump, this gives the tyres lots of flat spots. Skipping tyres from worn dampers under braking will cause the ABS to come on very easy.

you could have a strange shaped wheel lip (the bit that they clip the weights to) and the weights are moving. Get the wheels ballanced again and mark where the weights are with a marker pen and see if they move after 100 miles or so.

^^^^^Or get the sticky back weights.

I drove very carefully the first 200 km, after I had changed the brake discs for the second time.

Do not think it has something with my tires / wheels to do all those who have looked at them and balanced, told that they ran perfectly and without any visible defects.

It might be a problem with the brake discs or shock absorber. Would defective shock absorber could affect the car for regular tremors, and shake when you brake down?

And then when the car does not jump / shake, then brake down perfectly without vibration?

It is very annoying if I just knew what the problem was that part could just be changed, but if I need to change everything, shock absorber, brake discs, steering ball, wheel bearings, tower leases, etc. it will be mad expensive, and if it is another thing which is wrong. Then I will have wasted a lot of money unnecessarily

But it is probably also very difficult to sit here and say what is wrong.

I noticed something today on my way to work, the car drew a little to both sides, so I must sit and adjust the direction all the time. It is not so much, but it can feel a little uncomfortable when it happened. Have I not seen this problem before.

Would guess that the problem spreads to more and more complications over time?

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Errm gonna throw an odd ball here, but it ain't the engine misfiring when you floor it is it? Hey i said it was gonna be an odd one didn't I!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.