Problems fitting S3 Lower Arm Bar

Amjad

Oct 26, 2010
Cardiff/Southampton Uni
I did have a look at the guide on the site, but had a lot of problems fitting it! Never used these god-damn rivnuts before and found them to be a right pain in the a**!

This is what I've found on UKMKIVs:

"Take the RN (Rivnut) and find a bunch (about 6-8 depending on thickness), and load them onto the bolt supplied with the brace.
Hold the RN and intert the bolt into it, with the washers loaded.
Once the bolt is tight down onto the washers, get some mole grips, water-pump pliers or similar and grip the collar of the RN whilst inserting it into place.
Holding the pliers tightly, start to turn the bolt with wrench/spanner.
The RN will start to collapse (takes a fair effort to start this), and magically the RN will now grip in place.
BE SURE THAT THE RN IS WELL 'HOME' BEFORE YOU GET TOO FAR ALONG.
Once you can't tighten the bolt any more, undo the bolt and use the washers on the other side.
Finally, Offer the strut and insert/tighten both bolts.
DONE!"

I have a question, does the rivnut have to be flush against the chassis as the bolt is fed in?

Or can I grip it with mole grips on the neck above the "washer" part as I wind the bolt in?

The only problem I can think of with the second metod is that the rivnut won't settle deep enough into the chassis as I screw the bolt in?

Would appreciate any help, I always fit parts to my cars myself and it would annoy me to give up and have to get it done by a mechanic :happy:

Amjad

Oct 26, 2010
Cardiff/Southampton Uni
Hmm it was pretty awkward trying to do it without a ramp!

I was trying to do it with the rivnut/bolts attached to the brace. I haven't tried just doing the rivnuts and bolts alone as I thought the tension of the brace held it all in place!

(The rivnuts are very loose in the holes, I didn't know they were supposed to expand when tightened. I thought the holes in the chassis would be threaded for the bolt!)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members