Problems ???

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
HTC yours should be 330ish at that sort of boost. Less torque with a large port head is rubbish,true more backpressure will result in more torque but i don't think the head makes much difference to torque,should be around 340lb/t.

caveo

not bein sarky i would if i spent out that much money fella

She's booked in on the 27th , im just getting some ideas as when i popped in the other day for an hour they didnt have a clue so all info is ammo if you know what i mean.

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
fair enough but think most people will find it a hard task to decide esp if they had problems mapping your car and they dont know what it is

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
i dont think you will get any "ammo" :rolleyes: off the forum... sight unseen and unlogged by those who mapped it, is so much conjecture and inconclusive.

if it was just a verbal or print out which said the 1.4bar boost, then logs confirm how it is today, and maybe, just maybe that verbal boost level you were told was incorrect.

27th will come soon enough so it can be sorted. like said, you have paid for this and if there's an issue it needs to be identified and rectified.

good luck fella.

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
:) i was told it should be ok but will need regular cleaning. my experience shows mine wasnt ok.

i dont know anyone other than us two that have run panels with bt.

too much of a coincedence for me for the boost to be back immeadialy after switching filters. i did change the dv too but your running a new 007 so cant be that.

if jbs end up scratching there heads try the filter

Hi Pat, I'm still running "standard" airbox. it had a green filter and a couple of large holes in the bottom - courtesy of Jabba - until this weekend when I finally got round to smoothing it and swapping cold feed to 3inch. The filter is starting to look a bit grubby now so will add a cleaning kit to the to do list. There is possibly a little more induction roar since smoothing it but can't say I've noticed much difference TBH.

BTW I had a couple of instances more recently when I got almost no boost until about 5k rpm (happened a couple of times at castle combe too) which I assumed was a sticking DV? In any case I have now fitted an R1 like yourself. Car is running well at the moment :whistle:

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
wasnt stewies actuator related? nothing to do with me7.5 i thought

Yes that's what Jabba reckoned.

TBH when I went to Jabba, it was the young lad Kev that looked at it first and he initially couldn't find a fault. It was only when I showed him the RR plots I had from JKM which showed the boost change over several months that they suspected the actuator (after he spoke to Mike). However they changed the N75 duty cycle settings not the actuator itself.

I must admit the more I think about it the more I struggle to understand exactly how the actuator/N75 control boost so maybe someone can help me out here :help:

My limited understanding is that the actuator spring normally operates to keep the wastgate closed such that boost will rise. When the requested boost is met the ECU operates the N75 which uses vacuum pressure to open the wastegate and reduce boost. The problem with this explanantion is that I CAN see how a week actuator spring can cause low boost but I can't see how N75 duty cycle can increase boost if the spring is week, as it's working against it rather than with it if you see what I mean?? What am I missing?

Secondly another related question is that I've noticed that Forge do uprated actuators for various turbos including the VF34 and they can be ordered with different spring pressures. This begs the question as to whether the likes of Jabba, JBS etc. use a standard spring or uprated spring in the first place? Presumably the standard actuator must have some margin on it otherwise standrad cars couldn't be re-mapped so is there any real advantage in an uprated actuator anyway??

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Hi Pat, I'm still running "standard" airbox. it had a green filter and a couple of large holes in the bottom - courtesy of Jabba - until this weekend when I finally got round to smoothing it and swapping cold feed to 3inch. The filter is starting to look a bit grubby now so will add a cleaning kit to the to do list. There is possibly a little more induction roar since smoothing it but can't say I've noticed much difference TBH.

BTW I had a couple of instances more recently when I got almost no boost until about 5k rpm (happened a couple of times at castle combe too) which I assumed was a sticking DV? In any case I have now fitted an R1 like yourself. Car is running well at the moment :whistle:

glad yours is running well. im finding the R1 as good as anything else if not a little smoother.

other than the cars boost settling soon after bt to 1.1bar, instead of 1.7 spikes and holding 1.4 as it did on the journey back from jabba mines been running fine. mines the smaller vf23 turbo and i didnt really know what to expect other than mike had maxed it out. i had a boost controller fitted but no matter what it would go past 1.1bar. it still felt as fast and torque steered as usual.. almost like torque was unaffected.
1 year on they serviced it and found a cracked manifold , replaced it and journey home was a pleasant 1.4:D

a few weeks later 1.1 again. no spike just 1.1:confused: manifold again? jabbas a march for me so i lived with it.
anyways bought their induction kit and an r1 and magically the car is back to 1.4 and has been for a few weeks.:D
unlike you boost came in everytime at 3.8k so i doubt the bailey was sticking but it was 18months old and due in my eyes for a new one.

the open cone filter has made the car feel more responsive. i can only think it was being air starved to some extent before hand:shrug: jabba service it , replace filter and its going great guns for a few weeks. my green panel filter was only 6 months old but had very uneven wear. a round black patch in the centre and untouched around it. its a large surface area but im not sure it all gets used. maybe smoothing helps this?

i will put my bailey back on and see if my boost drops again. if it dosnt then it has to be the filter change that worked for me

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
well i spoke to the main man of cc for you caveo and reckons you should sell the ihi and go back to the ko3s, keep it for a while then change it again and you'll have more power lol

caveo

Fitted my boost gague the other day and a very supprising result, it seems to be spiking at 1.7-1.8 bar and slowly pulling back to 1.2. If i slowly accelarate it will hold around 1.1-1.2 but if i plant it it shoots up to 1.8 !!!! Does this mean my N75 is shagged?
All the piping around it looks ok but when i fit my new wheels and have her jacked up ill av a look round under there, but still no codes??

caveo

Sorted!

Took car to jbs today and it turns out the problem was as simple as a split hose under the inlet mani ( ???)
I now am boosting a constant 1.4 bar till redline where it drops to 1.2 so all is good in my little world.....for now , to follow is clutch , fw , diff , arb's and some hugh porshe brakes to make the most of the power.:D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise