Question about lambda and block 032

Apr 12, 2008
So i got a code on vagcom..17536 p1128 system too lean..and limp mode..car has 160 000 kilometers and i belive o2 sensors are never changed

17536/P1128/004392 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor faulty
Oxygen Sensor Control faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
Fuel Injector(s) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
Check Oxygen Sensor Control
Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
Check Fuel Injector(s)

It seems that there is no vac leak as gauge is showing -0.8 bar vac. Gauge is connected on a t piece between DV and intake mannifold.
MAF also seems ok..reading around 3.5 g on idle..and 148g on redline.(used to be 153 though)
I checked block 032 and i thing there my problem so i just need confirmation..
Both lambda values were 0%...for 5 min, or 10...then i started to drive and it changed to 0.9 and 0.6%...then, after 5 mins of driving it changed to -2.1 % and 11.7%..
So those values change very slowly..every 5 mins..and i read that it doesnt supose to do over 2%...
Would all this mean that my front O2 sensor is dead?
I also noticed that my coolant temp cant get over 85 celsius...and i also noticed droping even more while going fast..like 75 celsius...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2008
Ok, after 30 km of driving i am in the limp mode again..checked block 032 again...now it is -2.1% and 22%.

Apr 12, 2008
Are u sure that i may have a boost leak? I am suspecting vac leak as i am running lean...
MAF reads 3.5g at idle and 148g at redline so MAF is good.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
idle vac is no guarantee of no leaks..
smoke test will reveal the likly usual PCV pipes leaking from under the manifold.. often the larger middle outlet on the inlet mani. check it, and see if its covered it oil. if it is, thats the clue regarding the leak

Apr 12, 2008
Thanx for the reply.
I have removed PCV valve and hav catch can..
I will check those pipes though..
Smoke test...i am not sure if i can get that done here in my city..i read somwhere that it can be done if a smoker will blow cigarette smoke into the intake..would that be posibble?

Apr 12, 2008
What if i remove air filter, turn the engine on and slowly try to block air intake with my hand just before MAF? IF there is a vac leak, it would be more obvious as engine would try to suck air thru the vac leak holes in order not to die, right?

Apr 12, 2008
Unfortunatley i dont think i am able to do a real smoke test..i am in Croatia, Osijek...
Ah..ill think of someting..

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2008
Yeah, thx for that, i will improvize this using a compressor and a few tools :)
I already tested my boost pipes..all is ok...now i need to test vac lines..

Apr 12, 2008
Just s small update..ive noticed that my engine doesnt want to warm up..while driving in traffic it is ok...as soon as i get on ther open road temp drops...i guess thermostat?
I already got a green top temp sensor.
Is there any way that this could be related to block 032 error?

Apr 12, 2008
For some reason engine temp is just fine for the last week or so....seems that thermostat can be stuck one day, and working ok the other day...
As fas as limp mode and 17536 code goes..seems that my LPG map somehow altered my ECU petrol map...ive heard that sometimes it happenes and that all u have to do is drive on petrol for a few days...i didi that and now everyting is ok....

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.