question for the Cupra R owners

Stuart 528

Oct 8, 2007
R888s are great in the dry, not very good in the wet though, and no they dont last long.

Dont rate the Pirelli's personally

Toyo T1rs are excellent, but again dont have great wear rate.

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
R888s are great in the dry, not very good in the wet though, and no they dont last long.

Dont rate the Pirelli's personally

Toyo T1rs are excellent, but again dont have great wear rate.

These R888's, are they like semi slick road legal tyres?

How much a pop are these?

Stuart 528

Oct 8, 2007
yeh they are mate, dunno how much they are though, dont cost the earth though. Only really for driving to track days though

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
my monies between the Goodyear GSD3's (which I had all round on my mk2 Cupra for 3 years), and Toyo T1r's which I'm currently running. Both are good but lose a lot of their stickiness within a year no matter how much of a careful driver you are.

Toyo's may be quieter due to the pattern compared to the GSD3's from what I've experienced and have worn slightly less.

Need new fronts, dilema time!

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
my monies between the Goodyear GSD3's (which I had all round on my mk2 Cupra for 3 years), and Toyo T1r's which I'm currently running. Both are good but lose a lot of their stickiness within a year no matter how much of a careful driver you are.

Toyo's may be quieter due to the pattern compared to the GSD3's from what I've experienced and have worn slightly less.

Need new fronts, dilema time!

Agree with you on the noise front, the F1's are pretty noisy

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Have you guys never heard of swapping your wheels off the back to the front so you wear out all 4 tyres at the same time so when the fronts are half worn swap them with the backs.

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
goodyear eagle F1 GSD 3's all the way, got 14k on the front on my gti-6 with mixed driving and only paid £35 a corner :)

how on earth did you get them for £35 a corner?!?!?!?

banditmax:

yes swapping front to rear is an option but it just hits you with a huge bill once all 4 tyres are gone

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
Have you guys never heard of swapping your wheels off the back to the front so you wear out all 4 tyres at the same time so when the fronts are half worn swap them with the backs.

Yes but its just a temporary fix, like adam says when all 4 go you pay twice as much;)

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
how on earth did you get them for £35 a corner?!?!?!?

banditmax:

yes swapping front to rear is an option but it just hits you with a huge bill once all 4 tyres are gone

In certain formats, tyres are much much cheaper. I fitted 195's instead of 185's on my mk2 with it's 15" rims, about £20 difference (cost £40 per corner).

On 16"s, they're much dearer

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
R888's on 16" OZ's will smash your arches to pieces, seen it happen before. If you want R888's on the Ibiza need to run 15" Compomotives.

I'd just run some T1R's will last a good 20,000 miles on the 1.4 if not more!

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
R888's on 16" OZ's will smash your arches to pieces, seen it happen before. If you want R888's on the Ibiza need to run 15" Compomotives.

I'd just run some T1R's will last a good 20,000 miles on the 1.4 if not more!

how did that happen then with the R888's ?

just because its a 1.4 does not mean i dont like cornering ;)

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Corner all you like, I did an my 1.6 Sport still got 12,000 to the front and 20,000+ to the rears and that was a car always driven hard.

R888's have a large side wall, it clips the arches and creases them.

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
yea i did think the side walls where pretty huge on those R888's.

well there has been a lot of different tyres used buy some many people. looks like i will need to sit down and read a lot of reviews as well on the recommended tyres stated in here

ian_cupra

i've used toyo t1-r and t1-s, the t1-r are crap compared to t1-s but i've also used the goodyear f1's and there so much better, going bacl to them when the t1-r's have run out! just over £50 a piece in 16's! so not to expensive either

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise