question on induction kit

sloppycupra

Nath.....
Apr 16, 2006
hi guys just a few thorts and advice on induction kits please!

right been thinking of a few ideas and have seen ppl taking cold air feeds to the front fog light holes!! does this not get effected when its raining?

also has nobody tried running an open filter down to the front bumper positioned in a gap? as i have seen some big power turbo cars running open filters poking out of the car!! would this be affected when raining

cheers Nathan

chrisbond69

chris bond
Jun 11, 2005
Cirencester, Glos
it would get wet when raining and the maf probably would fail if you positioned it at the front bumper down low and them jap cars most are fine weather cars. and i see some people who get cold feed from the fog light or the standard position with a feed like you get with the green dynatwist filter

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
ofcourse people have thought about it? are u honestly too lazy to do any research?

actual cold air intakes position the filter down in the bumper so that it is away from the heat of the engine bay and the intake is long and so the sound echoes. BUT first.. problem is the gap space for the intake pipe...its tight, second...the smic is located where u want the filter so again..its tight

and third...there aint many kits out there

but it has been done using kits designed for other models

all u can do is experiment with one

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Does the MAF like the turbelant air thats being forged in, or should it be sucked from an area of ambient pressure, ie, within the wing??

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
dont think it matters tbh...after all its the turbo sucking the air in through the maf and somewhere along the long line of sensors the maf sensor is gonna have some control over the turbo hence why the turbo doesnt boost correctly when u got a fecked maf

so its only going to have a certain amount of air pass through, which the maf should be more than capable of handling

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
The turbo acts as a vacuum sucking the air in through, its just a thought, bill posted a while back about the MAF's not liking turbalent air, and this being a cause of failure.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
i would have thought it would only count if u were truely forcing air through the maf

seems very hard to do though with most of the kits out there as opposed to how some other cars literally point their air flow sensors with a filter on the end or throttle bodies towards the direction that the car drives in, in which case air would be passing through the air flow meter in a way in which its not intended

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
But if the air is being forced up from the bumper up the ducting and then through the filter, and then MAF, thats being forced is it?

May 2, 2006
i wouldnt have thought it was forced though, at the end of the day the filter will only suck whats needed, not wanted air is not forced in??? i done mine purely because iv got a induction and heatsheild, obviously some warm air will get to the filter element when in traffic etc .... so in theory all im doing is blowing that warm air away and replacing it with cold air within the heatsheild/cone area so when the filter sucks its cold air and not cold/warmish air, if you know what i mean ???

didgy2

newbe
Feb 19, 2004
glos
Visit site
i did run it for a while with the ducting at the front,ran very lumpy and didn't like it.Rerouted to the wing and ran much smoother.It was as if it was not getting an even flow of air,more so at higher speed.

i think the am motorsport boys were running open filter actually down in the wing and water didn't bother it:shrug:

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
I think so, as they use metal piping to locate the filter in the wing so it'll be carried along the pipe.

Their website is down at the mo though.

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
I have seen a Pipercross filter like the Carbonia that must sit somewhere under the battery (may need to use relocation brackets on the battery for it to sit right)

I have heard it on a Leon and it sounds awesome but i dont know if can face doing anything that may :censored: my car up with whats been going on this month with her

I just want the real loud suck and dump noise without hurting my car :(

May 2, 2006
Forbez said:
I think so, as they use metal piping to locate the filter in the wing so it'll be carried along the pipe.

Their website is down at the mo though.

Their website is always down, i have never seen it up, ever infact

Do you think il get any benefits from relocating mine to the wing, it might be cooler in their and more stable air, but isnt that why iv got the heatsheild and air feed??? confused now on what to do ............

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members