Quick Favor 16V?!?!?

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Hi guys

Could I ask a quick favor and ask someone with an ABF to pleasde go and start their car and remove the solid black pipe that runs from the throttle body down to the carbon canister in the front arch and see if the manifold sucks like a cheap hooker??

I've had loads of bits off and cleaned up over the weekend and it still boils down to the problem that when I plug this pipe back into the manifold it stalls.

if it's not meant to suck that hard (it's louder then the engine and stainless exhaust.) then I can work from there.

Cheers

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Anyone??

I'm asking as i've been told you can block this off at the inlet manifold but if I do it won't start or just stalls so if it doesn't do this as standard then i know this is my problem.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sorry Grayboy didnt see the post

not in the car at the moment but when i get home ill check it for ya if it helps ?

you on msn at all ?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Yes it does, does it on my 8v too, forgot to put it back on after cleaning the throttle body.

Without it on mine sucked like a hooker and hunted between 500 and 1500rpm!

just been out and same as above as suspected

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Cheers Guys

this means it is down to the pipework around the Carbon canister and valve as that's exactly what it is doing, it searches between 1 & 1.5K without it on but just stalls when I re-attach the pipe.

Found a split pipe to the left of the Mushroom cap that will be replaced this weekend and fingers crossed once the Vacum system is sealed again it'll run properly.

If not it's back to the drwing board :confused:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
mine's home now and sat there doing nothing if you want anything else tested or checked

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
I didn't read it properly did I :doh:

So it needs a vac leak to tick over.

Lol I've been very guilty of that myself fella.

Yeah without it off it won't run off it's lwn back, i can get it started and if i hold the throttle open it runs but as soon as I let it go it stalls. Will try and get a vid up over the weekend once I have the last bits i know sorted.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I'm not sure how the abf controls idle, but if it is through the throttle body then i think this could be your problem, Take the hose off leading too it, spray with carb cleaner brush with toothbrush and wipe clean with rags, keep doing till it's all clean if it is dirty. If there is some other sort of idle air system then i supsect that is blocked instead.

killer205

Jun 2, 2007
hi,

you might want to check your ISV as that is what controls the idile and connecting the pipe shoudent make a difference check that the ISV pipe aint blocked

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
hi,

you might want to check your ISV as that is what controls the idile and connecting the pipe shoudent make a difference check that the ISV pipe aint blocked

Already tried another ISV from IBIZA_95 that he said was working when it was removed.

Will have all the vacum pipes sorted this weekend so hoping that will cure it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.