Quick(ish) VAG-COM Question

Seismic Wave

Mar 12, 2009
Falkirk, Scotland
Hey guys,

Ok so I know there are hundreds of topics crammed with posts about people who cannot connect to their car with VAG-COM but i've never seen my problem listed.

I've got an '06 TDi Sport and I bought this cable from eBay.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/EOBD-OBDII-USB-Tool-Interface-CAN-BUS-Scanner-E2_W0QQitemZ270367102692QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item270367102692&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I didn't want to buy the full version of VAG-COM as I just wanted to do basic stuff and it does say it supports CAN-BUS.

Anyway to my problem. I can connect to my car no problem with ScanTool.Net but when I try to use VAG-COM (409 or 311) I get port ok, interface not found.

I've installed the latest drivers and set the Virtual Com Port to Com1. I've also changed this to match in VAG-COM.

It's probably a lost cause but does anyone have any ideas at all?

Cheers

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
VAG-COM offically only works with proper Ross-tech cables, othewise they wouldnt make any money would they ;)

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
I know that, just wanted to try the freeware version first

Think you v,e wasted your money on that fella?. I know its a lot more for the Ross-tech cable but as said thats why they are market leaders in the field. Iv,e found mine has more than paid for itself in saving wasted journeys to the dealers to sort out the odd error code.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Think you v,e wasted your money on that fella?. I know its a lot more for the Ross-tech cable but as said thats why they are market leaders in the field. Iv,e found mine has more than paid for itself in saving wasted journeys to the dealers to sort out the odd error code.

:yes:

Best thing I ever bought for mine too, and Dan uses his a lot as well. See his guides ;)

Seismic Wave

Mar 12, 2009
Falkirk, Scotland
Yeah, I had a look at the guides and they're excellent.

I've pretty much given up hope. Every post I read tells me that I should set the port to match in device manager but i'm way ahead of that. It's annoying that I can connect with the generic scan tool but not vag.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
There are no aftermarket wires that support CAN and work. The 805 version of VCDS is only compatible with genuine Ross-Tech interfaces made by Ross-Tech or by one of our distributors. Nothing you do will get the eBay goods you were sold to work.

Have you tried calling your seller? I bet he does not respond. They took your money and ran.

Oh, and by the way, where are they in these forums trying to help you?

No, VCDS is not for everybody. You could get a buddy on this forum to help you. VCDS owners are a unique group - they enjoy helping others keep their rides running. They also enjoy using the tool that recently was tested in Germany by DEKRA and received the highest point total of the 10 scan tools tested for any model car. VCDS was ranked #1!

Seismic Wave

Mar 12, 2009
Falkirk, Scotland
Cheers, that clears that up.

No one was trying to help, but all of the posts i've read tell me to check my virtual port settings. I'm pretty handy with a computer and knew the settings were right.

Guess i'll have to buy it or ask if anyone near me has it.

Cheers

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members