quick question on trim levels..advice for my dad!

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
coming over from the mk4 section to ask a quick question about the mk2 leon

My dad is looking at getting new car as his skyline is slowly dying and he kinda lost interest in it, so hopefully im convincing him to come over to the Seat way of life.

He was initally interested in a little MK4 pd130 FR or even the pd160 cupra tdi, but now i think he is settled on the diesel mk2 leon.

His budget is about 11k, He will do about 5-6k a year so not alot of miles, but is convinced he wants a diesel as he loves driving my car, and likes the economy side of it.

We went to our local dealers the other day and he drove a 2.0TDI 140 stylance, he loved it, but im trying to convince him to go for the FR, as he may be able to pick one up with higher milage for around the 11k mark, maybe a touch more.

My question is, what levels of trim are there, having looked on the SEAT website it seems to go...no mention of stylance? is it imbetween the SE and sport levels?

S
S emocion
SE
Sport
FR
Cupra

What are the main differences between the Stylance, Sport and FR leons in terms of trim and extras, i realise the engine goes from a 140 to a CR170 in the FR which is a great engine. Just dont want him to be dissapointed that he went for a lower car to save a few quid, when he could maybe afford to get an older higher milage FR for around the same money as a younger less milage sport or stylance.

Thanks for any input!

The CR170 FR is a new model (one of the facelifted ones this year), so I doubt you'll find one with high mileage / cheap (yet). You should be able to get a PD170 FR with high mileage though.

Both cars have DPFs (particulate filters), but the newer common rail engine is cleaner running and should have fewer issues with its DPF. Have a quick search on the forum if you haven't already read about the DPF problems. Summary: drivers who do only a few city miles for their regular journeys might have to take their FR out for a steady-high-revs blast every now and again, to keep their DPF from needing expensive service.

AFAIK, the PD140 doesn't have a DPF and can be remapped to feel quite nippy. That might be the best option for your dad?

Make sure your dad gets a test drive in an FR, if that's the way he's leaning, before taking the plunge as the ride quality is rather firm/harsh and is not to everyone's tastes.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
The CR170 FR is a new model (one of the facelifted ones this year), so I doubt you'll find one with high mileage / cheap (yet). You should be able to get a PD170 FR with high mileage though.

Both cars have DPFs (particulate filters), but the newer common rail engine is cleaner running and should have fewer issues with its DPF. Have a quick search on the forum if you haven't already read about the DPF problems. Summary: drivers who do only a few city miles for their regular journeys might have to take their FR out for a steady-high-revs blast every now and again, to keep their DPF from needing expensive service.

AFAIK, the PD140 doesn't have a DPF and can be remapped to feel quite nippy. That might be the best option for your dad?

Make sure your dad gets a test drive in an FR, if that's the way he's leaning, before taking the plunge as the ride quality is rather firm/harsh and is not to everyone's tastes.

cheers for the swift reply

yea i thought the CR may be the facelifted type, so doubt he would get one of those.

He tested the 140 stylance and was impressed with it. Im more interested in the trim levels and to see where the stylance fits?

as its not menitoned on the seat website, only the SE and Sport...want him to get the best for his money

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Stylance has, dual zone climate,heated mirrors with park,cruise control and coming home function, 16" alloys esp/abs/traction. Leather steering wheel with controls, electric windows all round. All colour coded too, dark rear tints.

Stylance is the next model down from a fr, sort of luxury version, almost the same spec minus the sports seats, bigger bumpers etc of an fr.
The 140 would be recomended to anyone doing shorter journeys over the 170 dpf, which has been a pain to many (not myself though)
The 140stylance tdi listed at £1000 less than a 170 fr when new

Oh and economy, you will prob get 10 mpg more on the stylance over around 42mpg of an fr

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
The trim levels you listed above have come in with the face lifted car, before that Stylance would have been the Sport AFAIK.

ahhh....i see, so the stylance would of sat below the Fr in the pre facelift version?

What sort of figures would he expect from a standard stage 1 remap?

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Models were essence, reference, reference sport, stylance, fr then cupra. The stylance was the luxury type. !75 bhp with custom code and 275 from 236 torque (min figures)

EoinM

In the pre-facelift version Essence was the lowest spec, Followed by Reference and then Stylance. The Reference Sport was a pack which included leather wheel, 16 inch alloys, red sports seats, sports suspension and black plastics in place of grey ones inside. The Sport is essentially a Stylance with this pack (but it gets 17 inch alloys instead). This was called the Stylance with the Sport-Up pack over here. Then came the FR's and Cupra.

If he does decide on a 140PD, I would go for a Sport spec for the extras. Specwise it's the same as an FR.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
cheers for replies....the stylance he is looking at has 17" 5 spoke alloys and look really nice. Think it has the exterior pack on it, (his words, not mine)...it has elec windows all round etc...and climate control

i told him to ask for a remap to be chucked in with it as well.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
so in the prefacelift it went.....

essence
reference
stylance
reference sport?

and the new leon range
S
emocionS
SE
Sport (same as the stylance but with a sports pack)

sorry for all the questions just getting confused over what order it comes in and what comes with what

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
sport pack is "17" alloys,sports seats/trim and sports suspension" So would be a good choice and better spec than the reference sport:D Not that far off a fr either

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
ah i see, looks like this stylance may well have the sport pack then, as it does have the 17" alloys,

hopefully a remap will be chucked in as well

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
I have just bought an FR TDI PD and am enjoying it so far. No problems yet with the DPF but the daily commute helps with this.

I test drove an Ibiza Cupra TDI160 and was very impressed - was not allowed to purchase as the car is also driven by my wife and 'it just didn't look right'!

Both cars felt good to drive and were much better than my Focus Zetec TDCI, so I would assume the other Leon's will be just as good and will save your dad some money.

Nice Ibiza btw.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
I have just bought an FR TDI PD and am enjoying it so far. No problems yet with the DPF but the daily commute helps with this.

I test drove an Ibiza Cupra TDI160 and was very impressed - was not allowed to purchase as the car is also driven by my wife and 'it just didn't look right'!

Both cars felt good to drive and were much better than my Focus Zetec TDCI, so I would assume the other Leon's will be just as good and will save your dad some money.

Nice Ibiza btw.

cheers mate

think he is gonna get it

another seat convert

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
At that many miles and with a DPF, he *really* ought to be buying a Petrol I think...

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
Pheo - agree about the DPF v mileage but as he says Dad is set on a diesel and the 140 does not have a DPF I think this is still a sensible choice.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Pheo - agree about the DPF v mileage but as he says Dad is set on a diesel and the 140 does not have a DPF I think this is still a sensible choice.

Oh I thought he was on about the FR, which of course has the 170 engine with a DPF in whatever guise you get it in... fair enough.

Still, the figures don't add up at that milage, but they are nice to drive (although I've not driven the 2.0TFSI or similar, I'm kinda presuming these are just as good!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.