quick question regarding windows

wildrides

Dec 27, 2013
The key is the outside temperature . The lower the air temperature is, the less water vapour the air can carry ( the dew point ). Thus on a cold day just rain from your overcoat drying in the car after a rain shower will be enough to steam the windows . You can clear it quite quickly by turning up the heater to 29 degrees for 5 minutes and then putting the air con on at 19 c for 5 miniutes , and repeat as required .
This works because the warm air will hold lots of the moisture at 29c ......... this is then condensed out on the aircon plate cooler at 19c and removed from the car via the aircon drain tube .

budweiser28

Jan 25, 2009
West Midlands
well I have resealed the fronts and the backs with the guide off here so hopefully no more steamy windows

the seals were pretty bad specially at the bottom around the speaker part

never broke any clips either on the fronts just a few on the backs but brought some anyway just incase

just got to wait now for the windows to dry out as they were wet when you puth the windows down and back up

hopefully all sorted now and can get on with some mods

thanks again guys for the guides and the info much appreciated

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
The key is the outside temperature . The lower the air temperature is, the less water vapour the air can carry ( the dew point ). Thus on a cold day just rain from your overcoat drying in the car after a rain shower will be enough to steam the windows . You can clear it quite quickly by turning up the heater to 29 degrees for 5 minutes and then putting the air con on at 19 c for 5 miniutes , and repeat as required .
This works because the warm air will hold lots of the moisture at 29c ......... this is then condensed out on the aircon plate cooler at 19c and removed from the car via the aircon drain tube .

I understand the issue is with the outside temperature and this is to be expected, to some extent, in the colder/wetter months. What I don't understand is every other car in the car park being completely clear and mine being 100% misted...

My E30 325i sport misted up less and it was 20 years old when I had it.

wildrides

Dec 27, 2013
The reason is you have wet carpets , you just dont think you have wet carpets!, because the damp is underneath the black surface carpet in the sound deadening layer . You will never cure the problem until you stop all the leaks into the car .

I speak from experience having owned a curpra MK1 for 11 years from brand new . It was dry the first 2 years ........... then the seals started deteriorating and I got the condensation issue . It took me four years to find all the leaks and find a solution and since then I have had a bone dry car for the last 5 years.

bournemouthal

need more cash for bits!!
Jan 6, 2014
Bournemouth
Hi there, I recently done the seals as the back passengers footwell was soaked.

I've been running the dehumidifier from the house in the car for the last week (extension lead through to the boot with parcel shelf out and seats down) and pulled over 3l of water out. only emptying 100ml out in 24hrs now so that's good - but a heck of a lot of water in there in the first place.

screw the little plastic box dehumidifiers for campers and the like and get some mains power to help.

Last edited:

budweiser28

Jan 25, 2009
West Midlands
well today put the car to the test with the cold weather here
side windows all clear so maybe have stopped the leaks for now on the doors but the front windscreen was dreadful when I finished work

I know the pollen filter needs doing asap but looking at it the weekend don't think I could do it so going to try and find a garage that will change it for me

do I need to seal anything up once the new filter is in or should I be good to go

hopefully once the pollen filter is done I wont have a misty windscreen :shrug:

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
The reason is you have wet carpets , you just dont think you have wet carpets!, because the damp is underneath the black surface carpet in the sound deadening layer . You will never cure the problem until you stop all the leaks into the car .

I speak from experience having owned a curpra MK1 for 11 years from brand new . It was dry the first 2 years ........... then the seals started deteriorating and I got the condensation issue . It took me four years to find all the leaks and find a solution and since then I have had a bone dry car for the last 5 years.

Thanks wildrides. I know the sound deadening is still going to be a bit moist, it's just strange how intermittent the issue is. It can go three days without misting and then suddenly does it again. I can't see/feel any more water coming in via other doors, but it does seem to be worse when it rains again.

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
I've been having the same issue for a while now but has suddenly got much worse. Like others have found the footwells seemed dry. However I suddenly found my drivers footwell was becoming very wet.

The problem was caused by a failed seal on the plastic cover located underneath the scuttle panel. The crappy foam turns brittle and falls apart allowing water to seep in, a little at first (not enough to wet the carpet) but then gets progressively worse until the footwell is soaking.

This image was not my car but shows you were to apply the sealant.

Leak_under_scuttle1.jpg

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
Got out of work at about 18:15, after my car had been sat there since 08:50, to find clear windows/windscreens all round. Temp on the car showed 4.5, which is plenty cold enough for mist if there is moisture in there.
Would this suggest the sound deadening isn't still wet? If it was I would still see mist I would have thought.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.