'R' Badge - wrong or right?

Hey folks, i've been toying with the idea of either debadging the Cupra and leaving an 'R' badge, or simply having the Cupra AND the 'R' in the bottom right.

Not one for badging things up that aren't genuine as such, is this a Halfords / Ripspeed way of thinking?

The type that has people put 'TURBO 20 V 1000 HP HONEST' type badges on their 1.0l fiestas?

The way I look at it, there isn't a MK4 Cupra 'R' as such, but if there was, when compared to the MK3 Cupra vs R model (the R had the bigger brakes, different seat logo, increased hp) whereas the MK4 Cupra has all of that anyway, so is essentially an R...

I think the R badge looks good, especially on a black car!

Wrong or right... ?

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
Cupra + R looks great IMO, would look pretty good on a MK4. you can always debadge if you dont like it

at least it wouldnt be a massive lie if you put it on, at the end of the day it is a cupra. its not like youre putting it on a 1.2

dede

Oct 20, 2008
Cupra + R looks great IMO, would look pretty good on a MK4. you can always debadge if you dont like it

at least it wouldnt be a massive lie if you put it on, at the end of the day it is a cupra. its not like youre putting it on a 1.2

hey i have a 1.2 and im gona do it :cartman:

The way I look at it, there isn't a MK4 Cupra 'R' as such, but if there was, when compared to the MK3 Cupra vs R model (the R had the bigger brakes, different seat logo, increased hp) whereas the MK4 Cupra has all of that anyway, so is essentially an R...

I think the R badge looks good, especially on a black car!

QUOTE]

i agree with all that as the mk4 cupra comes with the bigger power,brakes and fmic.
i think they just carried the fr name over from the leon so the fr ibiza would be the cupra and the cupra the cupra r if they hadnt come up with the fr name badge that is. :shrug:
having said that i beleive there was only somthing like 75 cupra r in the country not sure the mk4 cupra is as rare as that unlikely.

Last edited:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Baaaaaaad idea. Most people on the road wouldn't know there wasn't a Mk4 Ibiza Cupra R, but those that did would think you were a bit of a plank.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
i agree with all that as the mk4 cupra comes with the bigger power,brakes and fmic.
i think they just carried the fr name over from the leon so the fr ibiza would be the cupra and the cupra the cupra r if they hadnt come up with the fr name badge that is. :shrug:
having said that i beleive there was only somthing like 75 cupra r in the country not sure the mk4 cupra is as rare as that unlikely.

basically SEAT rebranded so that they could introduce an even more powerful version of both previous Cupra's and Cupra-R's...they noticed this when bringing out the Leon Cupra-R 225 over the 210

all new models should see all 3 versions in the line-up: FR, Cupra, Cupra-R (plus special editions like BOCANEGRA)

the 'R' versions can already be seen from VW who are giving the GTi's an axtra R to have greater specs and the new Leon Cupra R

Last edited:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
See now,
I'm in too minds about this, I hate wrong badges on cars.
However they did have a Cupra R, with bigger brakes and more HP. I'd say get rid of the "CUPRA" across the back, which I will be doing.

I dont think I'm against the R, considering Seat never had an R model on the MK4 you could just say it stands for "Racing"

My MK4 has front/reat strut, rear spacers, rear arb and 225+bhp with 217ft/lb of torque.
Suppose I could class mine as above standard and put an R badge on it.

If they did a badge WITHOUT the R
I'd buy that instead.

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
I think it could look quite good with just the 'R' badge, If you take all the rest off then it still shows you have put some effort and thought into it. The badge will then just be a little giveaway to what you are running (to someone out of the seat circle who cant tell straight away from the bumpers etc)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Because you should worry what people on SCN think of you!
Quiver in your cyber boots!

Do what you want fella!

IMO, because he will be sticking an "R" badge on a car that isn't an "R"

Maybe get a biro and write "R" on the v5 document just to make it a bit more real :lol:

like having a Ford KA 1.1 "R" :no:

If he wants an "R" go and buy an LCR and proudly display a real one

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members