Radio in mk5 - does it need a radio code upon disconnecting it ???

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hi folks,

I was checking to see if my mp3/usb radio would work in my Ibiza mk5 a while back, so i took the standard radio out. The radio did work fine, but didn't look as good as the original. So 10 minutes later i put the original one back in.

To my horror, it was asking for a radio code !!!!. I ran in a panic to the house to see if it was written in the book, it wasn't !. I thought i'd have to ring Seat.

When i went back to the car, it was working !!!.

So my question is, even though it asks for a code when the unit is initially reconnected, is it programmed to decode itself after a few minutes like mine seems to have ??

Could this be that it was only disconnected for 10 minutes or so, i.e. could i have an issue with the code if the standard radio was left out the car for a longer period ??

Any help would be appreciated because i'm wanting to get a double-din radio which has USB/SD support, but don't want to have to find a code for the original radio when i put it back in upon selling the car !

Best Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Ah right, that's good news then !. I was a bit worried about taking it out again incase it didn't decode itself this time !!.

So, worst case scenario, if i did ever need the code, how would i go about getting it ? would it be free ?

Regards,
Andy

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Just turn the set on then the ignition and it should re program itself again.

If you do need the code you would have to take the car to a dealer, dont be suprised if there is a charge for it.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Cheers folks, so it seems to get the code from the ECU then i take it ?

Ah well, i feel a bit more confident buying another radio unit now!

I know it's off topic a bit, but any recommendations of a head unit with these specs:
Play DVD's/Divx etc (not too bothered about size of screen as long as watchable), bluetooth, either/or SD and USB, a decent interface to find mp3's from a long list (i.e. tree view, easily navigable etc), reasonably priced ?

Cheers,
Andy

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.