Rear Alignment / Set-up v Tyres on FR

jtr

Feb 22, 2008
I know there has been numerous threads in the past about tyres and alignment on the FRs.

I got a flat tyre yesterday and while getting it repaired I asked the guys to check all the tyres. I was shocked to find the rear ones were boarder line illegal. The centre of the tyre had about 5mm, however, the inside edges where all run off and like a 50p piece shape and where down to just 1.6mm.

I have mentioned to the dealer on a couple of occasions that I did not think they were wearing correctly and was told everytime that they were fine. When the tyre fitter put it on the ramps you could clearly see the car looking as though it is sitting on the inner edges of the rear tyres.

Is this normal? I have it booked into the dealers for Tuesday but to be honest I have quickly lost faith in dealer network and ability to be able to resolve anything out of the ordinary that the nice computer system can't solve.

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
There must be something wrong, i.e.incorrect wheel alignment. Get back to the stealers and tell them its not right.This is gonna cost you some hard earned cash 4 new tyres.
On my fr the tyre wear looks nice and even.
You can expect excessive wear if cars remapped as performance is considerably increased but not really on the rears.
Mines only done 10.5k though but the tyres look close to new especially the rears.
Is yours mapped? If still no joy at stealers you will need to pay a garage to have all four wheel allignment done then if it was way out demand money back from them unless it is mapped.

jtr

Feb 22, 2008
No the car is not remapped, totally standard. The guys checked the front tracking and it was spot on. It's booked in for next week and spoken to the dealer again today as the flashing coil light problem has decided to come back:censored: I was told today that the back end does not adjust, is that correct?

I did notice that they were making a hell of a noise on all types of surfaces but the new ones appear to be a lot better and I have put the same make (Bridgestones) back on as I got the 4 for £400. But as you say I don't want to be in the same position a few months down the line.

This is the 3rd Seat and I have had a Golf and I think the next purchase withh certainly not be from the VW Group as both the FR and Golf have practically lived in the dealers garage.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
bridgestones seem the worst for this type of wear ... should have gone with a different tyre ...

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
No the car is not remapped, totally standard. The guys checked the front tracking and it was spot on. It's booked in for next week and spoken to the dealer again today as the flashing coil light problem has decided to come back:censored: I was told today that the back end does not adjust, is that correct?

I did notice that they were making a hell of a noise on all types of surfaces but the new ones appear to be a lot better and I have put the same make (Bridgestones) back on as I got the 4 for £400. But as you say I don't want to be in the same position a few months down the line.

This is the 3rd Seat and I have had a Golf and I think the next purchase withh certainly not be from the VW Group as both the FR and Golf have practically lived in the dealers garage.

Rear is deffo adjustable, done it myself
see here http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=209628
Take this with you to show them!!!!

Co2

May 2, 2007
Per your description, both borders of the tire low, i would bet low pressure on the tires for a long time. Generally when allignment and/or tracking if off the tyres get worn either on one of the sides only.

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
If the inside edges are all running off then it points to wheel alignment out.This has been a problem for some of the guys on here.Rear wheels are deffo adjustable as nc30rider rightly points out and whoever told you the back end does not adjust is either mis guided,doesnt know what they are talking about or is just fobbing you off with excuses.
Mine is still on the original Bridgestones and theyre wearing fine.He did say inner edges wearing off.
Bridgestone are usually fine after all Formula 1 can't be wrong.I bet the tyres only seem ok cos they are new ones and your problem will rear its ugly head again a few miles down the line unless its sorted.

Paul T

Jan 24, 2008
Bristol
I have the same prob at the mo, booked my car in with the dealer to get rear wheels checked. Ive done 15,500 from new and have a noise from the rear like a bearing has gone. The guy at the dealers said its normal for this to happen ( uneven tyre wear ) didnt swallow that and demanded it was looked at. Ive since read about this problem, so when i go back ,next tuesday i can tell the what they seem not to know..

jtr

Feb 22, 2008
The cars done 13,000 and the tyre pressures have been checked regularly from new. The tyre fitter thought that the alignment at the rear was way out or it was a wheel bearing problem. He also mentioned that they had seen 6 or 7 FR recently with the problem of wearing on the inner corners at the rear. The front tracking was checked and was spot on so problems there.

The car does look like it is not sitting on all of the rear the tyres and only the edges. It's in the dealer on Tuesday so see what they say this time. The first thing they asked on booking it in and mentioning the problem was is it modified and has it been in accident! - the answers to both are no. They may fix it now I've bought the new tyres so there is no evidence from the old one in case I asked for a contribution towards new ones. The problem has been raised with 2 dealers and Seat UK.

The Bridgestone are not the best but 4 for £400 can not really be beaten, and I was advised that if there is a wearing problem softer compounds (P zero's of Goodyears) would go uneven quicker. TBH was happy with 13,000 out of the fronts but expected more from the rearers and as I say they still had 5mm in the centre of both tyres.

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
The cars done 13,000 and the tyre pressures have been checked regularly from new. The tyre fitter thought that the alignment at the rear was way out or it was a wheel bearing problem. He also mentioned that they had seen 6 or 7 FR recently with the problem of wearing on the inner corners at the rear. The front tracking was checked and was spot on so problems there.

The car does look like it is not sitting on all of the rear the tyres and only the edges. It's in the dealer on Tuesday so see what they say this time. The first thing they asked on booking it in and mentioning the problem was is it modified and has it been in accident! - the answers to both are no. They may fix it now I've bought the new tyres so there is no evidence from the old one in case I asked for a contribution towards new ones. The problem has been raised with 2 dealers and Seat UK.

The Bridgestone are not the best but 4 for £400 can not really be beaten, and I was advised that if there is a wearing problem softer compounds (P zero's of Goodyears) would go uneven quicker. TBH was happy with 13,000 out of the fronts but expected more from the rearers and as I say they still had 5mm in the centre of both tyres.

You must get a full 4-Wheel alignment done, this makes the car drive true and straight
Just doing the front is no use. It is all about the relationship between the front and rear combined toe that gives the least rolling resistance and therefore least tyre wear
Mine was so far out it must have been crabbing along to make it drive in a straight line
Check the rear camber also, this can be a mile out
I also made the rear camber on mine a little more upright than factory settings, to save on tyre wear

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
I know there has been numerous threads in the past about tyres and alignment on the FRs.

I got a flat tyre yesterday and while getting it repaired I asked the guys to check all the tyres. I was shocked to find the rear ones were boarder line illegal. The centre of the tyre had about 5mm, however, the inside edges where all run off and like a 50p piece shape and where down to just 1.6mm.

I just had a call about mine whilst its being serviced, they said I should come see, so I did.

The inner is all over the shop, the grooves are also out, & have little buldges, & at these budges the rubber has small cracks in it.

I've done 37k in her.

Gone for a full set of Goodyears now [B)]

eily

Hi,mate nc30rider how much do you charge for the 4wheel allignment,went to ats and they say rear camber not adjustable.i live near carlisle cumbria.thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members