rear brake burning smell possibly binding?

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Exactly as the title says, I have recently noticed a burning/hot smell comeing from the rear nearside brakes, and sometimes the car feels like it is being held back a bit.

My car is a 2001 cupra AUQ engine code with standard brakes.

New pads are on the back and the discs are about a year old. (the smell was happening before pads were changed).

As far as I can tell the handbrake mech is moving freely, I have cleaned up around it as best i can.

I have also taken the calipers of and cleaned the cr*p from around the brake piston ( i havent tryed to extend the piston and clean further through fear of not getting it back in...no piston wind back tool)

The disc doesn't appear to be warped.

Feels a bit worse in this cold weather.

No sign of any fluid leakage or anything glaringly obvious.

Anyone come across this before or any ideas as to what to try next?

any help greatly appreciated!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I can't help any more but id does sound like brake binding.
I would say get a wind back tool and strip the pistons off the carriers and give it a good soaking with WD40 or the like and see if you can free this off.
How were the old discs when you removed these?

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
my current discs are about a year old....before that I'm not sure. Any ideas how to strip the pistons off the carriers...is it going to be as simple as unbolt the carrier, then apply handbrake or footbrake so the piston extends out?

or is there some other bolts holding it in so i can remove it as a unit clean it up and put it back?

cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.