Rear door Tweeter problem

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Right had the cupra a week now and managed to sift out all the problems barring one,

Did a speaker check all round the car and found the rear curbside door tweeter isnt working, checked the gaiter between the door and B pillar thats fine, ive been led to believe that the tweeters feed taps off the door speakers is this right?

just wondering if its a door card off jobbie or if its somethnig common?

thanks people,

kegger

Aug 4, 2008
Bedfordshire
Tweeters do blow... unfortunately it is a door card off job, not too much of a mission though, just some screws around the bottom.:)

andycupra

status subject to change
as above. they do go.

Its door card off, not as hard as you may think.
clue: the main screws holding the door car on are inside the door handle.
There are some guide somewhere.

The tweeter clips in place and has a electrical connection which is clip fit. So easy to replace.

DarrenJ

Seat like you mean it!
Dec 3, 2008
Galway, Ireland
I had sound in a tweeter coming and going - If you have an aftermarket CD player - most ppl have, you have to plug your new CD player into connections that bring the sound to the tweeters and bass speakers. I took off d door card on the door which was giving trouble to find that it was perfect - I was expecting to have to solder a bad connection at the speaker - perfecet VW tweeter was all I found. I got a pliers and gave the connections at the back of the CD player a squeez - you can identify which ones lead to the speakers by simply unplugging them. Since I have done this the problem has gone. Your tweeter could be gone but definitely try this.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Cheers guys, will have a gander on sat, new temp sensor arrived today too, the Replacement greentop one, so hopefully no more wobbly temp readings

one more thing on the sujbect of sound system, Are there any after market head units that will hook up to the 6 cd changer in the glovebox, want to replace the headunit, but keep the 6 cd changer

kegger

Aug 4, 2008
Bedfordshire
Only blaupunkt claim to make an adaptor but after some investigation I was dubious and I didn't like any of their head units anyway. I just got rid of it... you can either replace it woth another changer or there is an adaptor to make the glovebox useful again! Hope this helps...:)

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
yeah, to be honest i doubt ill need the cd changer once i get another headunit, wanting onee with wma/mp3 playback which is going to hold more that a 6 stack anyways isnt it?,

cheers for the advice on the tweeter, 30 mins of getting wound up ive managed to get away lightly with just snapping 3 of the black clips holding the door card to the door, not bad to say 81P each to replace :D, bad part being the tweeter has snuffed it,

to my suprise the tweeters only 15 quid direct from seat :)

Bargain

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
Going to jump on this thread as I've had a problem with my stereo cutting out, and then randomly fading back in after a certain amount of time. Did a VAG COM and its coming up with a rear speaker short. Looking at some threads it looks like a culprit could be the tweeter bracket loose and so hitting against the door and shorting the system.

So question 1 is does this sound about right or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Query 2 is are there any guides to taking apart the door and sorting this problem or pics - I think I have some water issues on my rear doors so prob need to take them apart anyway.
Query 3 - assuming that it is a bracket - any suggestions to I mend it?

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
I had sound in a tweeter coming and going - If you have an aftermarket CD player - most ppl have, you have to plug your new CD player into connections that bring the sound to the tweeters and bass speakers. I took off d door card on the door which was giving trouble to find that it was perfect - I was expecting to have to solder a bad connection at the speaker - perfecet VW tweeter was all I found. I got a pliers and gave the connections at the back of the CD player a squeez - you can identify which ones lead to the speakers by simply unplugging them. Since I have done this the problem has gone. Your tweeter could be gone but definitely try this.

i have the tweeter that works when it wants , could this be shorting or nafft, if i strip the door card down i may aswell seal it , not that it leaks yet but the rear one was so only time i suppose

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
only couple of things i would advise:

Ue a dinner knife with insulation tape wrapped round it to gently split the door handle to remove the two bolts holding it to the door,

I possible get hold of a new bag of fir tree clips holding the door card on, you'l be lucky to get them all off with out breaking, you'll be better off doing it on a hotter day when the plastic is more flexible

go steady when pulling off the door card itwo cables running to the door card ( puddle light & tweeter) car easily get damaged,

i started from the bottom of the door up then lifted it over the lip to the window to fully remove,

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
i have the tweeter that works when it wants , could this be shorting or nafft, if i strip the door card down i may aswell seal it , not that it leaks yet but the rear one was so only time i suppose

same fault i had mate, but mind just packed in altogether eventually,

better of replacing it, they're only 15 quid from the dealer,

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Ive got this fault, seem when you turn the volume up loudly fast they crackle and come back on, it does this on my fronts tho and it really annoys me, doesnt seem as bad on cd tho and speaker work fine when using my bluetooth which makes me think its the actual head unit thats at fault.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
Going to jump on this thread as I've had a problem with my stereo cutting out, and then randomly fading back in after a certain amount of time. Did a VAG COM and its coming up with a rear speaker short. Looking at some threads it looks like a culprit could be the tweeter bracket loose and so hitting against the door and shorting the system.

So question 1 is does this sound about right or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Query 2 is are there any guides to taking apart the door and sorting this problem or pics - I think I have some water issues on my rear doors so prob need to take them apart anyway.
Query 3 - assuming that it is a bracket - any suggestions to I mend it?

Fixed my problem, my driver side tweeter wasn't in its bracket so was prob just bouncing around the door and shorting on its exposed wires.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members