Rear strut brace help

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
Ok, so I fitted this strut brace last night (not my picture) :

boot1.jpg

All went reasonably smoothly - but not sure on a few things:

1. Do I tighten up the brace so that is pulls the turrets together a bit, or push them apart? And how tight does it have to be?

2. How on earth is it a 'quick release' system - withouth loosing all your settings that you had previously. As far as I can see you have to undo everything to remove it??

3. Should it be making craking noises when going round tight corners? - suppose this show that it works as it is working against the movement of the chassis...?

Thanks,

John

It does look good thoguh :)

Cupraloon

You don't say wether it was the top or bottom you fitted, if its the top I cannot say, but if it's the bottom one, I just moved the bar so it was central, and then tightened the locking nuts up against the bar.

amccan10

Feb 16, 2007
Wishaw
If it's making creaking noises you've probably over tightened it. i did that and the threaded connection on the base plate came away. had to take it out and re tighten the nut in the back.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
surely,pulling the turrets in or pushing them out is going to alter the geometry of your car?not something you want to piss about with if you are not sure what you are doing.

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
It's only by a small amount to get tension in the bar.

Like Speedinsaxo says, a strut braces function is to help eliminate flex within the chassis. Either over or under tensioning the strut brace eliminates its effectiveness. I cannot say which setup will work as I don't have strut braces on my car, Robdom seems to be the person to contact. Hopefully in the next few months I will be investing in such equipment.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.