Rear Wiper engaging with Reverse gear

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
My Leon has suddenly started wagging its tail (rear wiper) when I engage reverse. It never used to do that, and though in the rain it's probably a good idea, it's a bit pointless most of the time! How do I switch it off and how did I switch it on?

The car is an 08 Stylance with DSG.

Cheers

Rob

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
It will do that if your front wipers are on. Do you have rain sensing wipers? You may have left them on that setting and forgotten.

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
Weird how I've never noticed! I don't have the rain sensing wipers as far as I know - it's an option isn't it?

I think it's OK but the left mirror dipping that my mate's 3 Series is a more useful feature (apart from, like anything automatic, when you don't want to do it) :)

Rob

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
its works on all models whether you have rain sensors or not, as long as your front wipers are on whilst your reversing the rear wiper will stay on

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
It never used to do that, and though in the rain it's probably a good idea, it's a bit pointless most of the time!

That was what made me ask if he had rain sensor... It would only seem 'pointless most of the time' if it wasn't raining. :confused:

Only thing I could think of was that he had his wipers on auto and had forgotten therefore when there was no rain the front wieprs weren't going but the back one did whenever he engaged reverse... Which would seem pointless.

If that makes sense?!

@Rob - Rain sensor is part of the convenience pack - do you have an auto dimming rear view mirror and auto lights? If so you also have rain sensor.

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
My dads Citroen Xsara had this feature even though it didnt have any rain sensing feature built in to the wipers.Whenever reverse was engaged,if the rear window was wet the wiper would clear the window.Found it very useful indeed.

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
My cars at 40k and it was pointed out to me that when the wipers are on and you come to a stop they go into intermittent mode automagically..

Also when you go in reverse something happens with the vents if your blowers are on to stop sucking in air as you reverse through your fumes.

Rob.. what the left mirror dipping thing your mate has? The leons have dual moving mirrors so that you can adjust both mirrors at the same time equally?

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
when you enagae reverse the car put the heater into recirculation so that is doesnt suck in exhaust fumes. The mirrors are set so that when changing the drivers one it also does the passenger, this can be changed if you go see you dealer

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Re-circ on reverse is a neat (how American!) feature throughout the VAG range... Even the little Beeza's do it! No indication on the controls, but listen and you can hear it...

Plasmaman

Jun 3, 2008
Northampton
Weird how I've never noticed! I don't have the rain sensing wipers as far as I know - it's an option isn't it?

I think it's OK but the left mirror dipping that my mate's 3 Series is a more useful feature (apart from, like anything automatic, when you don't want to do it) :)

Rob

Maybe its the first time you have actually looked while reversing?

Mine has always done it and the the one before did

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
My rear wiper has started to switch on at it's on accord. I haven't had the front wipers on and don't have a rain-sensor.

Any ideas as it's annoying when reversing.

Cheers

RickyD

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.