Rebel Motorsport club rally weekend...

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Tarmac Rally Stage hired for the weekend so we got to enjoy both Saturday and Sunday with camping included exclusively for Rebel members.

£50 per car including camping, for two days of run what ya brung rally action! :happy:

Multitude of cars attending from a 400bhp 200sx to a 660cc turbo Daihatsu Mira Avanzato

The shots of the track or the vid really does not give you the impression of just how steep this course is. On 90% of the track there is very little margin for error, only accident was to the mint condition CRX which you will see clipped the tyre barrier :( all fixed now though.

First vid is a montage of various footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvmhDP81QKU

Second vid is in car footage of Malc (Age 65 :funk: ) in his Skoda VRS aka Buttercup showing how it should be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxKXU9wytuk&feature=channel

20100619_bont_155.jpg

20100619_bont_121.jpg

20100619_bont_136.jpg

Epic air by your truly :lol:

20100619_bont_207.jpg

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
what was that at 1:30? lol a daihatsu thingymajig? :drive2:

Looks like real good fun...how were the tyres and brakes afterwards? :)

660cc turbo Daihatsu Mira Avanzato... revs to like 9000rpm :lol:

Not too bad on tyres apart from the show off smoking starts... but the brakes take some serious hammer, as said the video doesnt really give an impression of just how steep it is going down the hill. You could do massive speed down there... but you know you have to cook it all off at the bottom or your gonna have a bad time... :happy:

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
:rolleyes: Irresponsible. I'm sure you wouldn't be laughing if someone had suffered a head injury......

Disappointing too, I thought Motor Sport had moved on from this.

We are an MSA certified club and we all signed waivers. If we had wanted to run with a helmet then that would be your choice. There was absolutely no timing allowed, no pressure, one car at a time. Much like these navigational rallys, no helmets needed.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
We are an MSA certified club and we all signed waivers. If we had wanted to run with a helmet then that would be your choice. There was absolutely no timing allowed, no pressure, one car at a time. Much like these navigational rallys, no helmets needed.

I think there's a fundamental difference between a navigation rally and a run down a closed tarmac special stage.

Salem

I run Rebel Motorsport Club and it is a MSA and WAMC reg club so I am well aware of the legal side of things.

This club weekend was to be driven as a normal road it wasnt a time trail and it wasnt a rally or race event that was made very clear. Only one vehicle was allowed on the track at a time unlike the Wales Twlight Rally which I marshalled at not so long ago were you dont have to wear helmets and it is a time trail, click here for photos of the event.

It was for club drivers only established trusted members. Helmet were an option however I myself didnt wear one because in a way I think that would have just encouaged me to push it more and could have well ended up with me having an accident and binning my car something I really didnt want to do!

I have driver public roads in Wales with a NSL limit that are much worse then that course and with much bigger drops plus with oncoming traffic but I dont wear a crash helmet where do you draw the line? As said this was not a race it was not a time trail, helmets were an option and everyone who attended knew the dangers and risks which you can have from normal day to day driving.

I think DPJ you will find we are a very responsible club and so are our members which is why we can run events like this :)

Last edited by a moderator:

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I run Rebel Motorsport Club and it is a MSA and WAMC reg club so I am well aware of the legal side of things.

This club weekend was to be driven as a normal road it wasnt a time trail and it wasnt a rally or race event that was made very clear. Only one vehicle was allowed on the track at a time unlike the Wales Twlight Rally which I marshalled at not so long ago were you dont have to wear helmets and it is a time trail.

It was for club drivers only established trusted members. Helmet were an option however I myself didnt wear one because in a way I think that would have just encouaged me to push it more and could have well ended up with me having an accident and binning my car something I really didnt want to do!

I have driver public roads in Wales with a NSL limit that are much worse then that course and with much bigger drops plus with oncoming traffic but I dont wear a crash helmet where do you draw the line? As said this was not a race it was not a time trail, helmets were an option and everyone who attended knew the dangers and risks which you can have from normal day to day driving.

I think DPJ you will find we are a very responsible club and so are our members which is why we can run events like this :)

Cheers for that. Health and safety to a point sure. But at the end of the day if you wanted a 100% safe day you might as well stay in bed.

Salem

So such events don't fall under MSA rules?

All our events fall under MSA & WAMC rules when we hold driving meets and events we obtain a touring permit unlike other car clubs when doing public meets and driving meet :bleh:

Salem

Why have you put a smiley that sticks its tongue out?

Because I was have a little fun dig at your comment about us being irresponsible!

Because there are a lot of clubs that run driving meets and events that have no liability cover and shouldnt do such events. We however do it by the book hence the reason I said you will find we are a very responsible club with very responsible members.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Nowadays, trackdays on race circuits are run to high safety standards. People can experience driving on a circuit in their own car - and helmets are sensibly mandatory.

This thread's opening post speaks of 'run what ya brung rally action!' on a 'Tarmac Special Stage.' The videos make it clear that the cars aren't pottering through the stage. No matter what you say, I am still astonished that in 2010 an MSA registered club does not insist on the use of helmets in this circumstance - in a similar way to trackdays.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Nowadays, trackdays on race circuits are run to high safety standards. People can experience driving on a circuit in their own car - and helmets are sensibly mandatory.

This thread's opening post speaks of 'run what ya brung rally action!' on a 'Tarmac Special Stage.' The videos make it clear that the cars aren't pottering through the stage. No matter what you say, I am still astonished that in 2010 an MSA registered club does not insist on the use of helmets in this circumstance - in a similar way to trackdays.

We also hired Llandow race track for the day ;). That was a helmets and usual track day rules event.

I may be guilty of over hyping this particular thread with my usual over the top styleee, my bad.

20100715_llandow_62.jpg

Salem

oh lighten up..

I dont make the rules... and how many times do i have to say it was an option.

Also as I mentioned above the Ecu Cym Twilight Rally run by the MSA also has no helmet and believe me they were pushing on and there were plenty of things to cash into as well

This guy lost it twice on the section I was on and narrowly missed a building and look no helmets.

20100904_EcuCymTwiRally_80.jpg

I get it you think we should have all worn helmets however there was no need and if anyone wanted to they could have.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise