Red Honda S2000

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Since i'm still coming to the odd RR day etc I thought i'd best stick a thread up here.

As I picked her up a couple of months back

24072009165.jpg

24072009166.jpg

24072009167.jpg

24072009168.jpg

24072009169.jpg

24072009170.jpg

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Few more updates.

Alpine 9887 is in, KT400 Bluetooth in, Dashboard Audio control adapter in, Mids and Tweeters now in but the doors need deadening - that's a job for the coming weekends. Fitting a headunit in an S2000 is a complete ass of a job, there's no space and there's sharp ( i cut all of my knukcles) edges all over the inside of the aperture.

Crossovers fitted into the doors

16082009228.jpg

After much mick taking, the hard top is in the house and i've been using the soft top. Since taking it off, the roof has been down every trip i've done for the last 6 weeks.

02082009216.jpg

A few weekends ago, what was meant to be polishing was largely been taken up with debadging, not sure what glue honda attach the side badges with but it sticks like proverbial sh*t to the barn door. Even though i'd already had the small Honda badges off, the S2000 ones were even more of a pig to remove - took about 30 minutes of careful prising to get them off and then I was left with the glue.

Badge off

29082009231.jpg

29082009232.jpg

29082009233.jpg

29082009234.jpg

29082009235.jpg

29082009236.jpg

29082009230.jpg

Tools used - 3 credit cards, 02 top up card, petrol, degreasant, lots of soft cloths and some detailing clay - time taken ... roughly 4 hours from start to finish. To be honest, not a job I want to do again for me or anyone else!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Car has been in with Pristine Alloy Wheels this week getting the wheels powdercoated gloss black.

That of course means that the centre caps needed sorting out.
IMG_0010.jpg

After black paint, badges applied but before lacquer
15092009257.jpg

After several coats of lacquer
16092009265.jpg

Once i get the car back i'll take some more pics.

Next up is more sound deadening before i even think about exhausts i will mostly be spending the next few weeks driving around with no interior other than a drivers seat whist I sort out the biscuit tin acoustics of the S2000.

Plan is;

1. Lay sound deadening pieces over the major panels of the car, not full coverage just pieces.

2. Cut laminate foam into suitable sized pieces and lay that over the top of the metal and over the top of the sound deadening pieces with a liberal coating of spray adhesive.

3. Lay a final full covering of thin sound deadener over that, roll it down so it's stuck firmly in place.

4. Cut door card shaped pieces out of the carpet and spray glue that to the doorcards. I will also add more sound deadening to the outer door skins at the same time as well as making up a foam trim piece to stick to the white plastic cover inside the doors - will stop it flapping around.

5. Make up the rear cover for the shelf area - 3 pieces of sound deadener, one layer of foam glued on top and then finally a layer of the carpet above on top of that.

6. Boot and area around fuel tank / spare wheel will be treated to sound deadener, foam and a final layer of sound deadener on top.

I reckon this will add roughly 20kg max in terms of weight but will allow me to have the exhaust of my choice without worrying or caring about drone.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Took the boot carpets out and surprised to find the trim is actually well thought out. What isn't thought out is the total lack of sound proofing behind the trim.

Carpet out
19092009270.jpg

Wheel out
19092009271.jpg

Toolwell deadened
19092009272.jpg

Wheel area deadened
19092009273.jpg

Extra layer of carpet with deadening layer added on top and spray glued down.
19092009274.jpg

Cheap toolbox lid with layer of carpet spray glued to it - stops it rattling
19092009276.jpg

All back together.
19092009275.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Looks superb Pat saves me following the car on the honda forum now :)

What is that sound deadening stuff you got? Going to do the boot of the Leon me thinks.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Cheers Adam - not a huge amount left to do really, run some wiring for a sub and the main speakers but i'm in no rush to connect it all - sorting out the final wiring is for the winter months .... i just need the power cable, RCAs etc run whilst the main carpets and trim are out. There's an american chap who makes a lovely sub box for these that doesn't use up the spare wheel area on top of the tool tray. Simple install - components and one 10" sub :)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Looks superb Pat saves me following the car on the honda forum now :)

What is that sound deadening stuff you got? Going to do the boot of the Leon me thinks.

3 things

1. Dynamat or similar - aim for 25% coverage
2. Laminate floor foam underlay - spray glue to entire area over the above
3. Final sound barrier layer, hondas carpet is hard plastic backed so is ideal or you can use a full layer of Dynamat over the foam.

The idea is to create acoustically inert panels with a closed cell foam insulating layer topped off with a sound barrier layer. Keeps road noise out, inside noise in and not have any resonating panels adding their own noise.

Having done the rear of the car and both doors there is a vast improvement. Radio was distorting at volume 18 before, it now goes cleanly to 23 needing lass bass / treble adjustment to get the same bass and treble.

Oct 2, 2006
Hi love your new car, wheels look better for the colour change. I really like the dash in these S2000s. Any performance mods planned bar the exhaust? I hear the HKS systems are quite nice on these but quite expensive? Also the Gruppe M and Mugen air filters are supposed to be good too but at a cost too I guess. I dont mean that in a patronising way at all as my friend has a DC5 Integra and he has mentioned stuff to me. Anyways good work so far with your new car:)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Very nice Fester.
The car looks totally different with the soft top on, TBH I think it looks better (in the pictures anyway).
Nice small interior to get a good quality sound after you've done the sound deadening.

You getting some back wheel drive action on the go?
Or is there too much grip in the dry for that?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Hi love your new car, wheels look better for the colour change. I really like the dash in these S2000s. Any performance mods planned bar the exhaust? I hear the HKS systems are quite nice on these but quite expensive? Also the Gruppe M and Mugen air filters are supposed to be good too but at a cost too I guess. I dont mean that in a patronising way at all as my friend has a DC5 Integra and he has mentioned stuff to me. Anyways good work so far with your new car:)

Tuning parts are indeded horrendously expensive for comparitively little gains so I won't be doing much down that route :)

Nice s2000, looks really clean, and keep up the good work

Cheers - might come back to SEAT at some point but for now a change is good.

Cracking motor! I would deffinatly have one if I did less mileage.

Work is 2 miles from the house ;-)

Looks very nice, Pat :yes:

Plate is indeed perfect L)

Cheers and I still haven't forgotten about that gauge unless you sourced another one :)

Very nice Fester.
The car looks totally different with the soft top on, TBH I think it looks better (in the pictures anyway).
Nice small interior to get a good quality sound after you've done the sound deadening.

You getting some back wheel drive action on the go?
Or is there too much grip in the dry for that?

Hifi is almost there in terms of the doors and the HU, it's just the amps and the wiring and i can do that once the carpets are out. Had a couple of loose back end moments but nothing overly scary - that said i'm not driving like an idiot. There's a lot of grip but I really don't have the skill or experience to explore what happens after it goes.

Looks amazing. Bet its great fun to drive

As a drive, it's everything I wanted. I did miss petrol a bit but not as much as i missed induction noise, something a car with a turbo was never going to give.