removing soundproofing?

sick2death

Dec 3, 2009
SY11
Was thinking of removing the soundproofing on my LCR's bonnet. Is this a common thing to do? Is it a bit noisy without?

sick2death

Dec 3, 2009
SY11
Thanks for the reply, I read somewhere about risk to the paintwork from heat? Does it act as a heatshield aswell or shouldnt I be worried? :think:

J Mays

Heat isn't really much of an issue. 1.8T TTs have the same insulation but they removed it for the V6, I can only guess this was for sound but the problem is it allow condensation to bulid up on the under side & then drip on the engine, on the V6 TT this causes problems as the water drips onto the coil pack plugs & gets down into the plug holes causing all sorts of missfire problems.

End of the day I'd say its not worth it, if you want to let more noise out remove the rubber seal along the top of the bulkhead/scuttle trim, this increased the induction & recurc vavle noise quite a bit on my S3 with an open filter, should help let out a bit of engine bay heat aswell which can only be a good thing.

Cheers Ewan.

LCR-Luke

Heat isn't really much of an issue. 1.8T TTs have the same insulation but they removed it for the V6, I can only guess this was for sound but the problem is it allow condensation to bulid up on the under side & then drip on the engine, on the V6 TT this causes problems as the water drips onto the coil pack plugs & gets down into the plug holes causing all sorts of missfire problems.

End of the day I'd say its not worth it, if you want to let more noise out remove the rubber seal along the top of the bulkhead/scuttle trim, this increased the induction & recurc vavle noise quite a bit on my S3 with an open filter, should help let out a bit of engine bay heat aswell which can only be a good thing.

Cheers Ewan.

Just to correct you there all TT's haven't got the sound proofing underneath ;)

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
my car sounds so nice without the soundproofing, i would never put it back on, also just to let u no, not all cars have soundproofing under the bonnet and they dont have trouble with the paintwork :)

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
I removed mine and dont think it sounds any different apart from the carbon filter is louder, tick tick ticking away

J Mays

I stand corrected none of the TTs have insulation right enough, you'd think after 8 years workin on the suckers I'd of noticed lol. The condensation problem only happens on V6s due the lack of engine cover and differant coil pack design.

Ewan

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.