Removing the soundproofing

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
I've just finished removing the sound proofing tarmac type tiles from my Ibiza, which was a bit time consuming but not too bad.

However, in places (Such as the front of the foot wells) the sound proofing tiles seem to have some kind of silicone stuff underneath, which you can't melt off.

The net result is a really nasty looking lumpy mess.

Has anyone else found this? And did you find a way of getting it off?

Does anyone know if it is actually silicone? If so I was thinking about trying this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17175/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealants/Sealant-Remover/No-Nonsense-Sealant-Remover-100ml

Reckon it'll work?

Thanks
Ben

ian_cupra

mine all came off fairly easy, just used a wall paper scraper on it :lol:

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
If it's anything like the sticky wax oil on the chassis legs in the engine bay then brake cleaner/thinners or AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover are very good if used carefully :)

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
95% of my sound proofing came off relatively easily using a heat gun and a scraper, its just the 5% of this other stuff that you can't heat and scrape off.

Thanks for your tips. I'll have a go later.

Thanks
Ben

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Has anyone weighed the sound proofing alone to see how much you're saving?? I'm intrigued but not sure I can be arsed...unless there's a lot to be saved :)

ian_cupra

i couldnt be arsed to weigh it, got about 2-3 carrier bags full of just the stuff thats stuck down

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.