Replacing/Repairing Door Glass...

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Hey,

I've picked up a few scratches on my driver’s and rear driver’s side door glass :(. It’s not massively noticeable but I'm a perfectionist! I can only presume they been caused by little stones being caught in the window rubber.

I've spent a bit of time hunting for a solution and tried to find out whether it’s actually possible to remove the scratches without replacing the glass. The first company I spoke to (www.glaswelduk.com) advised that they used to attempt repairs but due to having little success stopped offering the service. After speaking with another company (www.sun-guard.co.uk) they advised that they do offer a car scratch removal service and should be able to significantly reduce the appearance of any deep scratches (albeit at a cost or around £80 for both windows).

The cost of replacing both windows is £160 (Inc VAT) which I didn’t think was too bad. My only concern is that they might make a right mess of the door cards/door when fitting and the new glass won’t match the original. My other concern is that if I was to ever sell the car a potential buyer might think it’s been broken into.

Has anyone ever had door glass replaced, If so were you happy with the work?

Is replacing the glass a little extreme for a few scratches?

Is a potential repair worth it or will I be wasting my time?

I'm interested to hear other people’s opinions :)

Cheers
Alex

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
Personally mate...i wouldn't try fixing something that isn't technically broken...could be opening up a can of worms. Lets face it the scratches are only going to happen again. But as for the door cards etc, if they're a decent respectable company they will take their time and do a proper job...although there are certain things that could break that may have got a bit brittle over time like the little pop in clips on the back of the card that clips it to the door and that sort of thing is unavoidable unfortunately. Like i said mate i wouldn't bother. Save your £160

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Door glass is a quite simple to replace, id recommend going to a scrappies and seeing if there are any leons around with some nice windows.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Thanks for the info guys!

The scratches can be left but I'm a bit anal when it comes to the smallest of marks!

For those who have removed door cards are they easy to remove and refit without breaking any clips?

Also will aftermarket glass look identical to the original do you think?

tbh I'm quite tempted to give a repair a go. From what I've heard though it can be very tricky :cry:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.