Replacing tweeters??? (& other bits)

welsh-rich

I'm sorry to post such a thread, especially having read loads about speaker and headunit changes to the Mk2 etc, but I still have a few more questions I haven't seen answered.

I've read the step by step speaker change guide (gread thread) so I know I need new speaker pods for the infinitys I have to put in, but I also have infinity tweetwers.

Can the tweeters just be changed for the standard ones, rather than cutting wire 2 to kill the old ones and mounting the new ones in a new place? :shrug:

Also for anyone who has run a power cable through the car for an amp in the boot, where do you pass the cable through the chasis? I can seem to find any gaps or rubber gromits within easy reach!

And lastly (having stupidly spoken to halfrauds about what I need - and gettign confused) do I need to buy a wiring adaptor so I can replace the head unit for my aftermarket one. I've always done this on older cars, but this is the first new one I've done myself (resent paying £200 again for someone to do it for me this time)

Cheers all - sorry for any threads I've missed that answer all these ;)

Davros

If you're using component speakers, i.e. seperate woofer and tweeter, you'll need to keep the tweeter connected or you'll get no treble, however the stock tweeter is not great. I'm sure its possible to remove the door card and replace the speaker, but most people on here seem to have gone for coaxials (i.e. woofer and tweeter in one), and disabled the stock tweeter. That's what i did, and it sounds great.

As for getting the cable through from the engine bay, don't try and work it out (it took me about 2 days, having dismantled the whole car), its very easy, and i wrote a guide here that may help, and one of the replies includes a guide with pictures!

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117628

And you will almost definately need a wiring adaptor, though you may find one easier by looking for a MkV Golf compatible one (the stereo connections are the same). You might also want to consider keeping the stock stereo until you've tried it with new speakers. I've got a pair of infinity coaxials in the front, kept the rear (woofers only, its a reference so doesn't have tweeters in the back) and tapped the rear speaker wires to run a sub in the boot. That allows me to keep the bass down on the head unit so it doesn't overdrive the front, but still have really full, rich bass - and i've realised subs aren't just for chavs listening to R&B and hiphop!

Hope this helps!

welsh-rich

Cracking Davros, thanks for that!

Something tells me I would have been a while looking for that gap in the bay.

Sadly all my stereo stuff are bits that were in my last car, so sadly already have the seperate tweeters. Ah well, nothing a little bit of dismantling won't resolve!

As for the head unit, again, I have my X1 sat under the kitchen table at thew minute, so want to try and get that fitted too. But speakers are first stop, so here goes nothing :whistle:

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
The tweeters are glues into the door openers, and looking at the back of them, I'de be suprised if you could remove them without damaging the openers :(

When I had a tweeter replaced under warranty, the whole opener/tweeter unit was replaced as one, so i'm not sure if you can buy just the opener on it's own.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise