Reversing a Leon

Steve

Cross member
May 10, 2001
Bournemouth, Dorset
www.8valves.co.uk
Alice_Cupra said:
The look of :scary: on people's faces when I'm moving backwards, and just stop with 1" to spare is a joy to watch. You can see them thinking "He's not going to stop, he's not going to stop...... Oh, he's stopped."

You can almost hear them give a huge sigh of relief when you stop....... :whistle:

Especially when you're not even looking behind you!

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
yeah same here, i never know how far i am from the wall or car behind me, its bit of a niggle but at least the leons are pretty flat at the back. i can somtimes tell by the loudness of the exhauset as well, its louder as im getting closer to a wall. ive only got standard exhaust.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I tend to suffer from the 4 mile gap to. What happens is I reverse in as far as I think I can go. Then I go a bit further as I am aware of my misjudgement. Confident that you could'nty get a nats dnagly bits between my rear bumber and the next car i get out.............. to find you could park a volvo in the gap I've left.

I have the 4 mile gap problem too, and this is my 4th Leon, its a fricking optical illusion when you use the wing mirrors, sometimes i just open the door a bit(not on a busy road!) and look while i reverse in.

never set an alarm off(must try harder), and i have a BF exhaust system.

Hamzilla

Feb 12, 2008
Watford, Herts
What a refreshinly new topic!

I am crap at parking and I get so embarrased by my attempts for parallel parking when there is a car waiting behind me that I give up and drive off to look elsewhere or come back around.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
What a refreshinly new topic!

I am crap at parking and I get so embarrased by my attempts for parallel parking when there is a car waiting behind me that I give up and drive off to look elsewhere or come back around.

Thats the thing, i can parallel park the family Laguna no problem and its a really long car.It just the shape of the Leon that throws me every time.

Becks

ExtremeBlue&CandyWhite
Apr 22, 2007
Blantyre
www.facebook.com
I've had the leon long enough now that I am a reverse parking God. I know the distance beyond the "comfort zone" (ie where you think...i must be going to hit something now) that I need to go to leave a reasonable gap.

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
haha good to see it's just not me either with the metre of space behind when i try to park!

i couldn't understand, because i was sure the spaces were big enough for my car :p

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
i've mastered the fine art of opening the drivers door, whilst leaning out of the car to performing the final part of the reverse (to see how far i can go back)

it sound completely lame, but it really does work.

my clutch leg is sometimes very streched, but i can always reverse park in small spaces now

of course multi stories are a bit different, but my LCR front splitter seems to hate ramps in these, so I take the wifes car if we ever need to park in one.

a good tip is to hold on to the steering wheel with one hand, and the drivers door inner handle with the other hand.

Holdup

Aug 28, 2009
Kent
I set of car alarms with my bike :D but im not supprised

As for the reveresing i managed to reverse my astra into my mate (stupiply parked behind me when i was reveresing out and i didnt really look) and since then its knocked my confidence in reversing anything and i usualy leave a massive gap, but im slowly gaining my confidence back

andy_w

Has anyone got parking sensors fitted? I was given a set of X-Vision sensors today and wondered as to the position Seat use on Leons for the rear sensors.

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Yep, I tend to have that large gap behind me too... I used to just look in the rear mirror and I could tell I was getting near when the light intensity behind got really bright, but because the rear of the LCR is so high, its a bit deceiving. Getting a bit better, but just dont want to prang the bumper - paint work costs the earth! :)

rabe187

Mar 19, 2009
Saudi Arabia
www.cardomain.com
heheheh ... i though it was just me whenever i reversed i would find a huge gap! and my mates even told me why are u parked so far from the curb and i tell them cuz i really can't judge the space with this car, gimme some time and i'll get used to it ... Nope still the same, though they are precious so i don't take risks ;D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.