Road Angel Radar detector

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Hey All,

Can the laser detector add-on for the RA be extended at all, has anyone done it ?

I've hardwired mine in now, and put it in the corner out of the way by the A-Pillar, but I want to run the laser detector from the centre of the dash.

Any info appreciated

Ta

FASTER

Feb 18, 2005
Nottingham
dont bother using it mate! crap (no offence!) the derection range is rubbish not worth stessing over! great unit for gps based stuff no a laser detector tho! I dont think ra2 has optional link for laser but old type does ra1 probably trip to maplins and get an audio cable extender??

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
I have the RA compact

I have the extra bit anyway, just want to get it in a reasonable position on the screen. I know that if you do get targeted, you only have something like 1 second to get below the speed limit (if speeding of course, not intentional) - but it's 1 second to get from 33 back to 30........

So would an audio extender work ? Any links ?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
RA sell extra radar sensors that can be mounted at the front of the car, behind the bumper. They can also be mounted internally if you prefer. Check out their website for info.

One thing to bear in mind though, is unless you're VERY lucky, the radar detector going off means you have just been caught. It picks up radar signals so chances are if it picks something up, it's because Mr.Policeman has just pointed his gun at you.

If you're lucky it will pick up bounced radar signals from other cars and buildings and give you a chance to slow down. But usually once it goes off, it's too late.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I find the add on rubbish as well, so i just use the possible location setup which tells you where mobile cameras could be hiding.

Alba77

get an origin b2 unit with laser detector as standard. Saved me a couple of times on A9 from the sneaky police with hand held laser gun.:)

Not really answering your question, but thought would pop it in anyway..lol

dirtydubber

The police are only meant to fire the laser at you if they believe you are speeding, they do not target every vehicle going past, and most of the time they target your number plate as it is a nice flat surface, as opposed to the widscreen. The laser beam is quite narrow, and by the time it hits your car it is about the size of a ten pence piece, this has to hit your laser detector in order to set off your RA, and even then, it only takes about half a second for the laser gun to calculate your speed (due to the laser traveling to your car and back at the speed of light) so even IF your RA went off, it would be too late. Best bet for RA is to do a search on the web for mobile camera locations in your area, and store them in the RA manualy. This is a bit of a pain in the ass, I know, but, from bitter experience, is much safer than relying on the laser detector.

FASTER

Feb 18, 2005
Nottingham
tricks...

some good points...

Get a matt plate made or scotch yours up... no reflections means no laser back to mr plod ...;)

Mucky plate...clean car [B)]

or
Buy my jammer HINT HINT... IN for sale section....

LeedsLeon

May 18, 2006
Leeds
some good points...

Get a matt plate made or scotch yours up... no reflections means no laser back to mr plod ...;)

Mucky plate...clean car [B)]

or
Buy my jammer HINT HINT... IN for sale section....

what do you say when the mobile unit's back up pulls you over because they couldn't get a reading and your plate is covered in stickytape?

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Yes, done it! I have my RA compact under A pillar and made a cable 2.5mm jack to socket plugged in and sat on top of smartnav antenna! not sure if it works to be honest tho cos how can ya test it but it is only a simple cable!

cobraman2007

Feb 28, 2007
I've got a better answer - DO NOT EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT.

Easier said than done - especially in a 225bhp LCR.:lol:

Cheers - Cobraman2007

tinbum

Mar 31, 2007
Bournemouth
The police are only meant to fire the laser at you if they believe you are speeding, they do not target every vehicle going past, and most of the time they target your number plate as it is a nice flat surface, as opposed to the widscreen. The laser beam is quite narrow, and by the time it hits your car it is about the size of a ten pence piece, this has to hit your laser detector in order to set off your RA, and even then, it only takes about half a second for the laser gun to calculate your speed (due to the laser traveling to your car and back at the speed of light) so even IF your RA went off, it would be too late. Best bet for RA is to do a search on the web for mobile camera locations in your area, and store them in the RA manualy. This is a bit of a pain in the ass, I know, but, from bitter experience, is much safer than relying on the laser detector.

Good point, but ive just downloaded the new Road Angel software and it now tells you were all the spots are that the council use to speed trap. There are quite a few regulations that police and council have to stick to, my understanding is that they can not just stop wherever they feel like it and start shooting the laser of like Luke Skywalker !!! lol ;)
My Road Angel plus has never let me down and I drive like a bit of a tw*t at times, especially in my company car !!
Intrestingly enought, when I drive through Junc 12 M27, the Navy's radar on the hill sends my RA mental, so It does pic stuff up, never had a policeman with a lazer, tend not to get them down here, just the idiots in the van !!
Sorry for the lecture.................

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.