Sep 4, 2021
West Yorkshire
Hi guys,

I’m new here and I’ve tried to find some information on it but sadly I have had no luck…

Sorry it’s a long post 😅

I have a Seat Leon 2014 Mk3 2.0 TDI FR (pre facelift) none tech pack.

Im wanting to install a roof mounted aerial for my dab radio as I have had the head unit changed to the factory fit mib 2 unit. I had the basic pack as I was more bothered about the car rather than the extra fancy bits haha.

Everything is working perfectly apart from my crappy stick on dab window mount….. I have even tried a better one and still have a lot of drop outs. I understand that on the actual tech pack models the dab aerial is integrated into the rear window hence the reason for wanting to roof mount.

Im confident of installing the aerial as it is a straight plug and play into the unit. I know I’m having to drill into the roof etc. I’m just wanting to get the roof liner down safely and I can’t find any information for the mk3…

I get the process of taking the A B & C pillars off and I have done and put them back on no problem. I just can’t get the passenger roof handles out and I just want to make sure I take the liner down safely without creasing it 😂

I have been quoted over £300 just for an aerial upgrade so you can see why I don’t want to do that when I can do it myself at my own pace haha :)

Any help would be great! Thank you!

Attachments

• FD9B4BC8-B277-4B9F-B40F-0084393A2DB5.jpeg
    FD9B4BC8-B277-4B9F-B40F-0084393A2DB5.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 524AE271-AACC-4D24-81EA-30A79883D47C.jpeg
    524AE271-AACC-4D24-81EA-30A79883D47C.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 121

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Have you checked the availability of DAB in the area where you live?

There was a fire at one of the masts in N.Yorks (Bilsdale) which is creating problems across Yorkshire/NE England. DAB in both of my cars is pretty poor at the moment dropping in/out. Drove from NE to NW last weekend, and not until I was halfway across the Pennines did the quality of reception improve.

I also notice that you have a dash cam - if hardwired, did you use the ferrite core to reduce interference with your current DAB set-up?

Reactions: LukeKez94

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just a few things/thoughts:- I retro fitted DAB into my 2011 Audi S4, while waiting for the aerial bits to arrive, I draped my cheapie Halfords "powered/active" DAB aerial over the passenger seat back, and even without connecting it to the 12V DC supply, that DAB aerial worked very well.
Why can't you just use the rear window heater with a suitable VW Group aerial amplifier for DAB, and a Fakr lead fed down the car along with the other leads down one side?
Finally, it is over 6 years, but I retro fitted sun glasses holder to my wife's 2015 VW Polo, ie swopped a suitable Golf etc one for the driver's side grab handle - now removing that grab handle is a bit tricky as I had expected it to just be a screw fitting, but I did manage to use what tools I had to hand to remove these horrible "easy fit once at factory" fittings in a way that left them still fully usable if needed in the future.

By the way, my 2011 Audi S4 did not get a sharks tooth external aerial fitted to it at the factory, only certain options forced that on that year of Audi S4, so it still does not have an external aerial.

As said, hard wired dash cam could be an issue even if you drilled the roof etc, so make sure that is not an issue before moving on.

If your Leon definitely does not have the ability to use the rear window heater as an aerial from factory, ie if you can't find and unused potential aerial leads fixed to the rear window, then maybe search for an aftermarket aerial set up that can be used with the rear window heater, that must be easier than removing/refitting the head lining and drilling a hole in the roof.

Reactions: LukeKez94
Sep 4, 2021
West Yorkshire
Have you checked the availability of DAB in the area where you live?

There was a fire at one of the masts in N.Yorks (Bilsdale) which is creating problems across Yorkshire/NE England. DAB in both of my cars is pretty poor at the moment dropping in/out. Drove from NE to NW last weekend, and not until I was halfway across the Pennines did the quality of reception improve.

I also notice that you have a dash cam - if hardwired, did you use the ferrite core to reduce interference with your current DAB set-up?
Dab isn’t too bad in my area, I have tried different aerial setups with the dash cam removed and it doesn’t make a difference :(

I have tried other cars with the factory fitted dab roof mount and that has no problem at all just my stick on dab aerial that is the problem.

Halfords hard wired it for me when I first got the car so I don’t know if they used the ferret core. But by plugging the camera in or taking it out didn’t make a difference in terms of interference…

But as mine doesn’t have any way of using the original aerial I’m having to resort to stick on mounts or drilling and fixing a proper aerial to the roof haha. The only other way is the replace the entire rear windscreen with the elements in and then feed the wire to the unit as it’s a separate antenna :/ which is why I am having to do it this way haha

Been trying to find out an affordable way that gets the performance up. And this is the only way I have found :(

Sep 4, 2021
West Yorkshire
Just a few things/thoughts:- I retro fitted DAB into my 2011 Audi S4, while waiting for the aerial bits to arrive, I draped my cheapie Halfords "powered/active" DAB aerial over the passenger seat back, and even without connecting it to the 12V DC supply, that DAB aerial worked very well.
Why can't you just use the rear window heater with a suitable VW Group aerial amplifier for DAB, and a Fakr lead fed down the car along with the other leads down one side?
Finally, it is over 6 years, but I retro fitted sun glasses holder to my wife's 2015 VW Polo, ie swopped a suitable Golf etc one for the driver's side grab handle - now removing that grab handle is a bit tricky as I had expected it to just be a screw fitting, but I did manage to use what tools I had to hand to remove these horrible "easy fit once at factory" fittings in a way that left them still fully usable if needed in the future.

By the way, my 2011 Audi S4 did not get a sharks tooth external aerial fitted to it at the factory, only certain options forced that on that year of Audi S4, so it still does not have an external aerial.

As said, hard wired dash cam could be an issue even if you drilled the roof etc, so make sure that is not an issue before moving on.

If your Leon definitely does not have the ability to use the rear window heater as an aerial from factory, ie if you can't find and unused potential aerial leads fixed to the rear window, then maybe search for an aftermarket aerial set up that can be used with the rear window heater, that must be easier than removing/refitting the head lining and drilling a hole in the roof.
Unfortunately no mine was the basic package that didn’t have dab or led headlights or anything like that. I have tried looking around for different ways of improving my dab reception and trying to use the original aerial wasn’t possible. even trying to use the heater element wouldn’t work because there isn’t a lead or anything for it to use off. Other than changing the entire rear window and then finally feeding down the wire to the head unit.

The really left out a lot in my car 😂 I only need to get to the back of the liner down so it can be fixed in place. Then I can feed the wire down in places to the unit and for it in factory fit. But obviously the aerial I get I will check before starting any holes or anything like that haha.

I really wish there was some other way that will
give me great performance. But this is the most affordable way that will get me what I want/need.

But yeah, the grab handles are the same on mine, can’t just in screw them like id have hoped…. and I want to do the same thing as yours on my drivers side for glasses etc. Maybe after this I will do that haha.

The dash camera had no effect on the signal, it’s just the way the car was faced or if it was a sunny day or something Silly that made it
cut out. I could be sat in the perfect spot and then it goes completely. Even when moving, it cuts out to the point that makes it worthless haha.

Even if I can just get it mounted and then I feed the wires a long way round. I’ll be happy with it just so long it does what it is meant to haha.

Thank you for the advice/input though :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
A later and smaller issue, the sunglasses holder, I don't really know FL Leons very well, daughter has a FL Leon Cupra, but do SEAT not fit the sun glasses storage into the roof mounted fitment thing, Skoda do that for the Fabia version the same as my wife's Polo, but they use a different internal monitoring system, and that messed up me fitting a Skoda Fabia sun glasses storage unit, the Golf one works okay though, but it would have been neater if they were centre-roof mounted like my 2011 Audi S4 - a car that I enquired on the Audi forum about what people fit as sun glasses storage unit, then discovered Audi did provide one - ouch! Next problem was, there was a rattle in the car when it was not sunny, strange, then worked out it was the sun glasses rattling in their storage unit, sorted that by putting my Frogskins back in their pouch BEFORE putting them back in the storage unit!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.