Ross Tech VCDS

ericbrx7

Jul 25, 2018
Hi everyone , im looking at getting a better obd scanner as the one i've got just gives me codes that i have to look up then its fine for the money i paid for it but im looking to upgrade it and i found the ross tech website. To be honest i dont understand how to get that working , there are two versions to download im guessing the one id need is the one for 3rd party cables and then buy a usb cable to run from the car to the laptop but is that all i need? Is the vcds free ? Also what will i be able to do with it , code things such as window open/close with key etc? Thanks in advance.

BTW would this do the job ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cabl...842691?hash=item3fa7b8c0c3:g:Q2sAAOSw0SJa9VrF

ericbrx7

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks Hawkers , i will consider the full version with cable in near future but as a start up could i use the lite version with the ebay cable? Or is that just useless? Cheers

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
You can get 'VCDS' cables and software from ebay that are cheaper and use the same software, however they aren't genuine and are using pirated ross-tech software. You can't guarantee how well they'll work, the cables are usually cheap Chinese clones. plus the developers of VCDS put a lot of effort and updates into the software to make it the best in the business.

Up to you really.

Deleted member 103408

And just to add to this there are many examples of people using cheap knock off cables who have fried there ECU's

If you go VCDS (Which is the best) and you want support from Ross Tech get proper cables.

ericbrx7

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks guys , looks like the full version with genuine cable it is then. Im all for saving when its possible but not at a cost of messing things up obviously. One thing that i dont get is the 3vin limit , how does that work ? Lets say you've got 3 cars that you're using the cable for , then you sell these 3 cars and you buy a different car , do you have to like contact the developers or something to update the cars you're using it for or is it 3 cars and you're done? Im thinking its the first example?

Deleted member 103408

I don't know but my view was its 3 cars and your done.

ericbrx7

Jul 25, 2018
Just found the Q&A on the website , so you can't remove a vin to make room for a new vin , you have to upgrade. I guess ill just get the obd11 for now and save up for the unlimited vin ross tech cause id like to use it for other car's aswell ( friends , family )

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Depends what you're using it for. Reading fault codes and live data doesn't use the vin limit but coding and making feature changes would.

Reactions: ericbrx7
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.