RVC reversing camera installed

zen kun

Speed addict
Sep 28, 2016
Hi guys im trying to use the camera on my Leon cupra 2015, i already enable the vag com and somehow works, i got a lot of interference, i read is because the new models and signal is not "clean" so the camera i have has a relay. in theory it should fix the problem.
however im stuck, if i dont start the engine the camera looks awesome, however if i do the same but starting the engine i got interference and somehow it gets black sometimes.

i hope you can help me fix the problem :(
im attaching a image with letter so i will try to explain where i connected.
744372313_o.jpg

i connected in this way
A) to GND (brown wire that is on the trunk) that i guess is physical GND
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-27%20at%207.00.30%20PM.png

B) i connected in the positive of the car, i believe is reverse, because only starts when i do reverse, is a blue/black wire
C) i connected on the same wire as B)
D) i connected the camera...
and last
E) i connected to the + of the rear lamp (wire bue/black)
before i tried without connect the E) point and i had almost same result.
so my question is , where i should connect the wires :(
any help?
Thanks a lot

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Hi guys im trying to use the camera on my Leon cupra 2015, i already enable the vag com and somehow works, i got a lot of interference, i read is because the new models and signal is not "clean" so the camera i have has a relay. in theory it should fix the problem.
however im stuck, if i dont start the engine the camera looks awesome, however if i do the same but starting the engine i got interference and somehow it gets black sometimes.

i hope you can help me fix the problem :(
im attaching a image with letter so i will try to explain where i connected.
744372313_o.jpg

i connected in this way
A) to GND (brown wire that is on the trunk) that i guess is physical GND
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-27%20at%207.00.30%20PM.png

B) i connected in the positive of the car, i believe is reverse, because only starts when i do reverse, is a blue/black wire
C) i connected on the same wire as B)
D) i connected the camera...
and last
E) i connected to the + of the rear lamp (wire bue/black)
before i tried without connect the E) point and i had almost same result.
so my question is , where i should connect the wires :(
any help?
Thanks a lot

As you seem to have the relay box and plenty of cable and your plugging the video signal into the back of the infotainment system by the fuse box anyway, connect
B- to an ignition switched live in fuse box, A- to earth point at or near fuse box
And E- to blue/black reverse wire of car, it's easier to pick it up where it goes over the rear wheel arch behind the trim panel.
Do Not connect C- your not turning on any monitors ;)
Connect your yellow and red plugs to the camera and the other end of your video cable to the appropriate video input connections in the back of the infotainment system multi plugs.
Make sure all your electrical connections are good - and use the correct gauge/type of cable,not old speaker cable ;-) - and make sure your positive connection at the fuse box is correctly fused

It should then all work correctly :)

Last edited:

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Thanks a lot
Don't attach the positive directly to reverse lights, they have some PWM to regulate the intensity of the lights I believe.
Instead, you should use a relay which will get 12V for the camera from the cigarette lighter wire, and this switch should be activated when there's voltage applied to the reverse lights.
E.g. reverse turned on -> voltage on reverse light wires is applied -> relay turns on -> power from +12V from cigarette lighter goes to camera.

Try monitoring 12V supply with oscilloscope to see if the voltage is correct and if it has some fluctuations. If it does, maybe adding a capacitor between 0 and 12V will help.

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Don't attach the positive directly to reverse lights, they have some PWM to regulate the intensity of the lights I believe.
Instead, you should use a relay which will get 12V for the camera from the cigarette lighter wire, and this switch should be activated when there's voltage applied to the reverse lights.
E.g. reverse turned on -> voltage on reverse light wires is applied -> relay turns on -> power from +12V from cigarette lighter goes to .

He won't need to get one he's already got a relay, that's what the black box Is in the picture of the camera kit he posted

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
It's also worth noting for anyone doing this camera adding mod, that the 12v feed to the reverse light is intentionally reduced to 80% of the cars nominal voltage. obviously not an issue if using a relay.
I pretty sure it can be adjusted to 100% using the vcds, but my vcds doesn't work on the Mk3 so not been able to try

Last edited:

dannyhull

Sep 12, 2016
sorry to hijack the thread but can a reverse camera be installed to a display that does not have the nav button, my display only has 6 buttons, 3 at each side, everyone i see doing this mod has 4 buttons at each side

zen kun

Speed addict
Sep 28, 2016
sorry to hijack the thread but can a reverse camera be installed to a display that does not have the nav button, my display only has 6 buttons, 3 at each side, everyone i see doing this mod has 4 buttons at each side
As far as i know you only need parking button and it will work , you need enable using VCDS.

Well Thanks for all the answers,i did not want try the fusible box to avoid any issue..., so basically i bought a charger with 12v output to try this out.( i connected to an outlet)

so i tried several combinations and seems is not working :(
here is the summary:
combo 1
A)GND
B) to + of the charger 12v
C) Reverse of the car
E) rear lamp +

Result: engine off and camera working, engine on camera interference/black screen
combo 2

A)GND
C) Reverse of the car
E) not connected

Result: engine off and camera working, engine on camera interference/black screen

combo 3
A)GND
C) to + of the charger 12v
E) not connected

Result: camera not working

combo 4
A)GND
E) rear lamp +

combo 5
A)GND
B) reverse of the car
C) Reverse of the car
E) to + of the charger 12v

i guess they are all , the weird is , when the engine is off works well, maybe the "relay" is not a real relay and just a fuse box?
(i will send a picture of the relay from inside)
here is a video how works so far (working with engine off and then starting the engine)

this is the URL of the video (i cant post links is on my google photos)
https: // goo.gl/photos/bfEktpiuA2u8NdS69

Thanks again for the help :(

EDIT: added relay photo
relay_camera.jpg

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
As far as i know you only need parking button and it will work , you need enable using VCDS.

Well Thanks for all the answers,i did not want try the fusible box to avoid any issue..., so basically i bought a charger with 12v output to try this out.( i connected to an outlet)

so i tried several combinations and seems is not working :(
here is the summary:
combo 1
A)GND
C) Reverse of the car
E) rear lamp +

combo 2

A)GND
C) Reverse of the car
E) not connected

combo 3
A)GND
E) not connected

combo 4
A)GND
E) rear lamp +

combo 5
A)GND
B) reverse of the car
C) Reverse of the car
E) to + of the charger 12v

i guess they are all , the weird is , when the engine is off works well, maybe the "relay" is not a real relay and just a fuse box?
(i will send a picture of the relay from inside)
here is a video how works so far (working with engine off and then starting the engine)

this is the URL of the video (i cant post links is on my google photos)
https: // goo.gl/photos/bfEktpiuA2u8NdS69

Thanks again for the help :(

EDIT: added relay photo
relay_camera.jpg

Well you tired almost every combination, except the one I suggested in my earlier post lol ;):D
Which was to connect wires A B E and leave C disconnected
A to earth -
B to ignition switched live +
E to your cars reverse wire the blue/black wire
:)

zen kun

Speed addict
Sep 28, 2016
Well you tired almost every combination, except the one I suggested in my earlier post lol ;):D
Which was to connect wires A B E and leave C disconnected
A to earth -
B to ignition switched live +
:)

yes you are right ahaha i will try, sorry for being ignorant but what do you mean ignition switched live +, which wire is?? :think:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
yes you are right ahaha i will try, sorry for being ignorant but what do you mean ignition switched live +, which wire is?? :think:

No problem :)

Wire B in your picture needs ( ideally ) to be connected to a terminal in the fuse box that is only live/switched on when the key is in the ignition switch .

But as you said at the moment your powering your camera using a 12v cigarette lighter adapter, just connect wire B to the + terminal or wire on that adapter , as the cigarette lighter socket is powered only when the ignition is switched on, so it's an ignition switched live +

Edit, I've just reread your post
post 171 Well Thanks for all the answers,i did not want try the fusible box to avoid any issue..., so basically i bought a charger with 12v output to try this out.( i connected to an outlet)

How are you powering the camera? I thought you meant you were powering it from the cars cigarette/accessories socket.
But it sounds like your powering it from a mains battery charger or something? :confused:

Last edited:

zen kun

Speed addict
Sep 28, 2016
No problem :)

Wire B in your picture needs ( ideally ) to be connected to a terminal in the fuse box that is only live/switched on when the key is in the ignition switch .

But as you said at the moment your powering your camera using a 12v cigarette lighter adapter, just connect wire B to the + terminal or wire on that adapter , as the cigarette lighter socket is powered only when the ignition is switched on, so it's an ignition switched live +

Edit, I've just reread your post

How are you powering the camera? I thought you meant you were powering it from the cars cigarette/accessories socket.
But it sounds like your powering it from a mains battery charger or something? :confused:
im not using a lighter for now, im using this
IMG_20160929_000139.jpg

is 12v, and i only connect to the +, and i connect this to the outlet, it should work as the car light socket right?
the camera works with this AC adaptor.
so should i keep trying with this¿
And THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
im not using a lighter for now, im using this
IMG_20160929_000139.jpg

is 12v, and i only connect to the +, and i connect this to the outlet, it should work as the car light socket right?
the camera works with this AC adaptor.
so should i keep trying with this¿
And THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Wow, that must really limit your vehicles range ;):D

Well it's not ideal, for several reasons, but wire the camera up as I said using your adapter to give you your 12 volt supply to the camera.
It should then all work correctly, but you may or may not still get some flickering on the screen though with the engine running, but once you wire it correctly into the car, rather than powering it from the national grid that should go :D

zen kun

Speed addict
Sep 28, 2016
Wow, that must really limit your vehicles range ;):D

Well it's not ideal, for several reasons, but wire the camera up as I said using your adapter to give you your 12 volt supply to the camera.
It should then all work correctly, but you may or may not still get some flickering on the screen though with the engine running, but once you wire it correctly into the car, rather than powering it from the national grid that should go :D

Hi, thanks for the help, im sorry for bother again, but this camera is driving me crazy :(

ok i did this:
combo 1
A to earth -
B to ignition switched live + (charger12v for now)

result: camera does not turn off.
i found the C must be connected or the camera will not work

so i connected to the reverse wire (blue/black wire) and worked
however, without engine on it works well, engine ON , the interference comes again :S

combo2
funny i tried something so i connected
A)GND
B)Nothing
C) to reverse wire
i did not connect B (positive +)
and camera worked
but result
without engine on it works well, engine ON , the interference comes

then
combo3

A)GND
B)Nothing
C) to reverse wire
E) to reverse wire
and camera worked
but result

so i tried then
combo4
A)GND
C) to postive + (charger 12v)
B)Nothing
E)nothing
Camera not working
the rain started so i couldnt continue but, my next try could be

A)GND
B)reverse
E)nothing/reverse

so im not sure what's wrong, the camera without turning on the engine works flawless, crispy clear, the moment the engine is ON the camera start with interference/black screen :(

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Hi, thanks for the help, im sorry for bother again, but this camera is driving me crazy :(

ok i did this:
combo 1
A to earth -
B to ignition switched live + (charger12v for now)

result: camera does not turn off.
i found the C must be connected or the camera will not work

so i connected to the reverse wire (blue/black wire) and worked
however, without engine on it works well, engine ON , the interference comes again :S

combo2
funny i tried something so i connected
A)GND
B)Nothing
C) to reverse wire
and camera worked
but result

then
combo3

A)GND
B)Nothing
C) to reverse wire
E) to reverse wire
and camera worked
but result

so i tried then
combo4
A)GND
B)Nothing
E)nothing
Camera not working
the rain started so i couldnt continue but, my next try could be

A)GND
B)reverse
E)nothing/reverse

so im not sure what's wrong, the camera without turning on the engine works flawless, crispy clear, the moment the engine is ON the camera start with interference/black screen :(

Yes it's certainly proving a hard nut to crack, for what should be a simple 3 wire connection and it should work.

Anyway
In combo 1 you said " connected A to GND" is that the cars GND or the GND of your transformer ?

And in combo 2 you said "connected A to Earth" is that the cars earth or the earth of your transformer ?

Let me know the answer to the above, and hopefully we can get it working correctly, but you really need to be connecting to the cars power supply and only the cars power supply , as at the moment your taking 12 volts from - and possibly your earth ? - two different power supplies at the same time, that is likely the reason for the interference you get when you start the car and bring the alternator into the equation, and probably why your having problems full stop :)

Last edited:

zen kun

Speed addict
Sep 28, 2016
Yes it's certainly proving a hard nut to crack, for what should be a simple 3 wire connection and it should work.

Anyway
In combo 1 you said " connected A to GND" is that the cars GND or the GND of your transformer ?

And in combo 2 you said "connected A to Earth" is that the cars earth or the earth of your transformer ?

Let me know the answer to the above, and hopefully we can get it working correctly, but you really need to be connecting to the cars power supply and only the cars power supply , as at the moment your taking 12 volts from - and possibly your earth ? - two different power supplies at the same time, that is likely the reason for the interference you get when you start the car and bring the alternator into the equation, and probably why your having problems full stop :)

hi the earth and GND is the same, i use a copy paste from your answer thats why :p
im connecting GND/earth to the car's GND (brown wire) that suppose to go to the Physical ground

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
hi the earth and GND is the same, i use a copy paste from your answer thats why :p
im connecting GND/earth to the car's GND (brown wire) that suppose to go to the Physical ground

Cool that fine, that's answered my question.
Your taking the positive supply from outside the car from an AC to 12v DC transformer powered by the mains and you taking your Earth/GND from the car (the cars battery negative -) :blink:
That's just another reason, on top of the others why your having problems getting it to work correctly

What you need to do before you do anything else, is put that transformer back where it came from :D
And connect your camera to the cars electric system, your going to have to at some point anyway, so you may as well do it now, cos how your trying to power it at the moment is just putting you on a hiding to nothing.

Wire it all up how I described in my earlier post and hopefully, assuming you haven't damaged the camera, it should all work as intended.

Anyway let us know how you get on or you need help getting the 12 volt supply :)