S3 strut brace and TDI engine cover?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I'm about to install a S3 strut brace to my FR TDI and I was just mocking it up after modifying the nearside section around the bonnet lifter which is all good now but noticed I couldn't refit the engine cover.
I'm assuming a section needs cutting from the rear but it looks like it'll lose the rear fixing point.
Surely it'll flap and rattle around without it.
What have other people done in this situation, is there a different engine cover that fits correctly?

marcfr

Mar 26, 2014
I'm also interested in finding out the answer for this. I've just brought a Audi tt strut brace and cut off the brackets . Going to attempt to fit it at the weekend.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
A guy over on ukmkivs said he just cut a section off the rear and it was fine without the fixing point.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
So my brace was fitted yesterday which I'm quite pleased with, especially as it involved a DIY rivnut tool I put together.

Anyway as I suspected the engine cover wouldn't go back on due to the rear mounting point.
So I cut a long section from the rear and it now sits on but isn't secured enough and inevitably rattles against the bonnet when you start the engine.

I'm currently faffing around in the workshop attempting to relocate the rear mounting point that I chopped off but I'm also now inclined to source an alternative engine cover.

So far in my research it appears that the ASZ engines Seat Alhambra one might do the job.
Another one that is discussed over on ukmkivs is the VW BEW engine cover which is a US part annoyingly but I'm going to price it up as I rather like the look of that one.

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I had a free afternoon at work so thought it'd be rude not to bring the car back in for some more fettling.
I was determined to fix the stock engine cover on properly and after some head scratching and a bit more grinder work I salvaged the original rear mount from the scrap piece I had and bonded it back underneath the cover, albeit approximately 50mm further forward that it was designed to be.
All this meant was that I needed to relocate the spigot on the intake manifold forward using a piece of 40mmx10mm aluminum flat bar I had knocking around.
The cover now sits perfectly and is removable as per standard fitment...

BUT, it still f¥¢king knocks slightly on something when the bonnet is closed and you turn the starter over or put the engine under load eg. pulling away from stand still.

I'm now thinking its something to do with the combination of the S3 strut brace, close proximity of the engine cover and a pointless raised hard section in bonnet sound deadening?

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.