Sat Nav High fault... 1 day old Cupra

nf2029

Aug 28, 2015
Hi all,

Picked up my Cupra ST this morning and so far really pleased, however the inbuilt Sat Nav appears to be broken. When I left the dealer they had already plugged in my home address so I just pressed go when I was in and was driving along but the nav thought I was still in the same area and told me to turn around. I decided to turn it off and use Waze thinking it may have just needed resetting. Had lunch at home then hopped in the car again. Nav now realised that I was at home so it had moved, I put in my offices address, hit the go button and drove off. The whole way the car was telling me I was off road and to proceed to nearest road, whilst the map still just showed the car being outside my house. The compass in the DIS also just said "NW" the whole way, when from my house it is South East.

Has anyone else had any experience with this and is there a way to reset or is it a trip to the dealers (100 miles away!)

Also my iPhone is not recognised as an audio source unless I put the car in to CarPlay mode which is annoying because I can't have Spotify on the nav unit and Waze open on the phone. I can use Bluetooth but the quality is rubbish compared to being USB cabled in.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi all,

Picked up my Cupra ST this morning and so far really pleased, however the inbuilt Sat Nav appears to be broken. When I left the dealer they had already plugged in my home address so I just pressed go when I was in and was driving along but the nav thought I was still in the same area and told me to turn around. I decided to turn it off and use Waze thinking it may have just needed resetting. Had lunch at home then hopped in the car again. Nav now realised that I was at home so it had moved, I put in my offices address, hit the go button and drove off. The whole way the car was telling me I was off road and to proceed to nearest road, whilst the map still just showed the car being outside my house. The compass in the DIS also just said "NW" the whole way, when from my house it is South East.

Has anyone else had any experience with this and is there a way to reset or is it a trip to the dealers (100 miles away!)

Also my iPhone is not recognised as an audio source unless I put the car in to CarPlay mode which is annoying because I can't have Spotify on the nav unit and Waze open on the phone. I can use Bluetooth but the quality is rubbish compared to being USB cabled in.

Sounds like a dodgy SD card to me, take it back to the dealer when you can.

richardtank

Sep 19, 2009
Hi all,

I'm using Android but as soon as you enter Android Auto it comes up on the screen saying that you can no longer use the device in the 'media' section. Although, with Android you could have spotify working on the car and then have Waze open on the device.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
You picked up a new car on Friday the 13th and expect it to run smoothly? Its sat there now.... Plotting.... Waiting.....watching.... The sat nav stunt was only the first.... Trying to run you off road..... ;)

nf2029

Aug 28, 2015
You picked up a new car on Friday the 13th and expect it to run smoothly? Its sat there now.... Plotting.... Waiting.....watching.... The sat nav stunt was only the first.... Trying to run you off road..... ;)

Yes I tried to collect yesterday but it wasn't ready and I couldn't get tomorrow!

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Sounds to me as the fault is with the GPS / hardware side of things, I think the only answer is to take it back to the dealer. You can take it to any Seat dealer, if you have one more local, it doesn't have to go back to the supplying dealer.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
sounds like the GPS aerial. May be a lead come loose, or the aerials broken.
Happened on my daughter's Golf 3 days after she bought it.
Fault diagnosed ove rthe phone, new aerial fitted next day. Worked perfectly ever since.....
get it checked by a dealer.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Seen this before from the factory the black wire from the GPS antenna that routes into the back of the media interface in the glove box is loose sometimes the connector needs changing sometimes you can just give the connector a push and it works either that or a bad Sd card.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
When I collected my 280 in August last year day after I got the message it had no GPS signal.
Next day at start it was ok again and I never saw the fault again.
So when this continues after a day or 2 you should go back to your dealer.

bleedsoff

Sep 30, 2015
I had a similar problem in my Audi. Not to sure if it was as bad as yours. Assuming Audi sat Nav high is similar to seat sat nav high. When I was abroad I didn't get any data as I didn't have roaming on. However my sat Nav was selected with Google Earth. My car was no where near the roads I was on. So I put it back to the internal map data and problem fixed. May help?

nf2029

Aug 28, 2015
So I have been out and about driving today and it has been better but clearly has an issue. Where as yesterday it never updated where I was and came up saying "No SAT reception" today it has shown the car on the road but then it gets lost the arrow is then shown in fields, railways, rivers etc. and even sometimes going the wrong way! I will see what it is like tomorrow because maybe it is just bedding in Ha! But definitely going to book it in to dealers on Monday. A real shame because otherwise it is a fantastic car! Shame the weather has been so crap since I picked it up...

nf2029

Aug 28, 2015
Car was at local dealers on the 20th. Typically it worked 100% with no fault whilst they had it so at 3.30 I got asked to come and collect it with no fault found. The second I drove out it didn't work, I took their engineer out with me and showed him and he agreed that it was faulty and that they would have to raise the issue with Seat UK.

After being promised they would call yesterday at the latest and not hearing from them I called and asked what they update was. Seat UK have requested that the dealer has the car for the whole day for investigative works. If and when the fault is found they will order necessary parts and then the car will have to be booked in again. It drives me crazy that they didn't do this on the first day that I had it at the dealers.

I will be without the car for days at this rate and have been without a Sat Nav ever since owning it. Surely I must be due some compensation from Seat? Is there a managerial contact I can reach out to?

noel2014

Jan 6, 2014
Tamworth
Hi.
I had a very similar issue to you in March 2014. I picked up a brand new 184 from the dealer. When he was sat in car showing me controls etc he even loaded up the satnav and th car said it was in Wolsburg in Germany ! ( this may even be where the sat nav units are made ! ) the bloke told me as soon as I drive for a few minutes it would locate me and all would be good... cue a 200 mile work journey from the dealers to London and was stillsruck in Wolfsburg !
Dealer had the car in similar to you, told me had played with connector and all OK... within 15 minutes of driving away it failed again.
They then ( like you ) had to have the car for a whole day ( or 2 if I remember rightly ) and they ended up changing the whole infotainment unit.
I really went to town by sending a letter of complaint to SEAT UK ( have a look on their website and speak to complaints team ) and told them all the hassle it had caused me not having my car for a problem tat should have been noticed from the beginning.
Anyway - they sent me an apology letter and 2 free services.
Definitely don't take it lying down
I hopefully get my Cupra 290 end December/early Jan - hope your enjoying yours !

nf2029

Aug 28, 2015
I have had enough of this situation which has been dragging on forever now and so have set the below to the MD of Seat UK:

Dear Richard,

Back in August I decided to order a Seat Leon ST Cupra 280. I had been recommended to buy this car from Lifestyle Seat in Eastbourne.

After a week or so the Cupra 290 was then announced with lots of press releases being seen all over social media and magazines. I got in touch with Lifestyle and Seat UK, neither of whom could give any info on the new 290. After patiently waiting on the 13th of November I was able to pick up my 280. I asked Lifestyle if they had any info and still they hadn't heard anything. This was the start of my frustration with my brand. Why release so much to the press when no one who represents the brand knows anything about it? I already have an out of date car...

When I picked up the car on the 13th I had a great experience and was really pleased to see my new car. When I left the dealership I realised that the Sat Nav had no idea of where I was. I had to rush back to work as I had taken the morning off of work to collect the car but had to be back in London.

I had hoped that this was perhaps just a glitch and that resetting the car would help. I left the car for a couple of hours whilst at work. The next time I got in it said "No SAT reception" so I knew there was an issue and contacted Lifestyle who advised I take the car to my local dealer. I did this on Monday 16th and was told the earliest it could be looked at was the 20th.

I took the car in on the 20th to West London Seat and armed with pictures of the malfunctioning navigation system showed them the problem. At 3pm I got a phone call saying the car had been looked at and no fault found therefore I could come and collect it. I got to the dealer and hopped in hoping it was fixed after a diagnostic test had been run. The first thing that alarmed me was that the car had not been driven at all. So therefore how could they have tested it? Anyway I jumped in, put in a postcode and set off. What a surprise, it still didn't work. I spun round and asked for the technician who had looked at it so I could show him. He came with me and agreed it was at fault and would raise the issue with Seat UK. As it was a Friday afternoon he said he would not hear anything until Monday and that I would get a call on Tuesday at the latest.

By the Wednesday I had got bored of waiting so called in the afternoon. Stephanie at West London Seat then said to me "oh yeah, we did hear back you need to bring it back in so we can run diagnostics." I thought we had already done that... The soonest I can book it in I am told is the 7th of December.

The 7th of December arrived and I dropped the car off at 8.30 armed with yet more pictures and videos showing how badly this Sat Nav High that I had paid extra for behaved. The technician said he didn't need to look at them and that he remembered it not working.

7th of December 2pm when on the bus I see that my car was still parked in the same spot and had not been moved. By 6pm I get bored of waiting to hear for any update so call Stephanie myself. "The technician couldn't find anything wrong with your car but has just come back from a test drive and seen it isn't working. We have ordered a part which will be delivered and fitted tomorrow and you will be good to go."

8th of December, 9am I go past on the bus again and my car appears to have still not moved. At 16.10 today I get a phone call from Seat UK who I had already raised the issue with when it appeared to try and speed up the issue, as after all this is a brand new car with an upgraded Sat Nav High system, not just the standard version. In this phone call I am told the car had just been looked at and a new media unit needs to be ordered. I explained to the lady on the phone that apparently they had ordered a part on Monday, but apparently there was no record of any parts being ordered. This really got my back up as I felt I had been lied to by West London Seat and apologies but I was very angry towards your operative as she told me the car would be looked at again on Thursday and I should hopefully get it back on Friday.

This is a brand new car which has not worked from day 1 and I cannot believe what a nightmare it has been. I've not owned it a month and I don't want it anymore! I'm fed up of it. I've not been able to use the navigation system once. If the repair works are completed on Friday I won't be able to get the car until Saturday morning due to work commitments. That means West London Seat will have had the car for 7 days in my month of ownership. I am paying VWFS £335 for a car that I don't even get to use. I have had to get buses and trains all week which is a great inconvenience as my job entails me being on the road all the time, as well as extra cost and when I have had the car I have had to use apps like Waze on my phone which has cost me extra in data charges from my mobile phone provider.

As you can tell I am incredibly frustrated by this situation and all your customer service department can do is apologise. Which I personally do not think is enough. I have owned 3 Audis prior to this and always had good experiences. After this I would never own another Seat and I would certainly not recommend anyone else to buy one, despite two of my friends having already purchased Leon FRs after my recommendation before mine was delivered.

I have attached some images so you can see what I have been dealing with and what West London Seat could apparently not replicate at first...

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

dty73

Oct 28, 2015
If you're going to drive it in the middle of the sea, that's probably where your problems come from!

:rofl:

Danielle91

Dec 9, 2015
Hi, I'm new to the site and am hoping someone can help me!
The portable sat nav in my car keeps going mental Sometimes it randomly wants to go into standby mode (even though it's only been on for 2mins!) but the most annoying problem occurs when I'm using the handfree for a phone call. Occasionally the sound will not come through the cars speakers, even though the call screen is on the sat nav and I can end the call using the screen, this means that I have to listen to the call on my phones speakers. Most of the time though the sound comes through the cars speakers and all is goin well, then the radio randomly comes on! So instead of having 'phone' displayed on the little radio screen my chosen radio station is displayed! This means that I cannot hear what the person on the phone is saying until I can put my phone onto speaker, which is dangerous as I'm driving. Pretty useless having a handfree option then having to use my phone anyway!
Someone help pleeeeease
Edit Report

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Has the problem been resolved? Also SD card query

Hi all,

Hello, just wondering if you have had your satnav problems resolved? Also when you collected your car did it come with an SD card with the maps on or were they only already loaded on the nav unit, I'm asking because I want to know if I should have had a card supplied with mine.
Cheers, Wal.

and290sc

Dec 30, 2015
I had a similar-ish problem to the OP with the sat nav on my 290. The pointer would follow the car's general location, but would always be on an adjacent street or off road, and the map would spin constantly while on the move. With a route programmed it would just spend the whole journey re-calculating as the pointer jumped all over the place. I seem to have cured it by removing the nav SD card with the ignition off, moving the slider on the card from locked to unlocked, and putting the card back. Since then it's been working fine.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.