SCC 2008 - Confirmed Drivers

Maxtreme

Liam will race in Spain definatly in 2008 just looking at both championships there is a huge differance in costs. 70k plus to do uk 25k to do Spanish with 18 races in spain and 20 in the UK plus parts are 20-30% cheaper yes we will miss the circuits but with the chance of 40 pluss grids £800 start money per race and entry for the season costing £800 its an offer we cannot aford to miss. Also there are no test limits in Spain only not allowed at same track 7 days befor.Yes the 2008 upgrade kit is 4K but with 25 mm Wider rubber new gearbox and front brake cooling ,bigger radiators etc we have got to go

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Think either of these guys (Byford and Herron) have a strong chance of strongly competing for top 6 places?

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
This is great news. Even better, with the news they will be running up to 3 Leons we are to see yet another.

My cash will be on one of the guys that ran with JHR last season. Stephen Oates or Richard Cannon.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
There's a suggestion on the btcc.net forum that entries are hard to come by and only 6 drivers have registered, with something like another 3/4 weeks to get their entries in. :blink: Surely the European series can't take all the drivers and teams away from the UK can it?

Maxtreme

As far as I am aware there are only 3 drivers going to spain that have registered Liam,Waterworth and Tom Boardman:confused:

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Could well be just the usual slow uptake of entries that you see every year. Come the first round they'll probably have enough drivers.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Still not enough drivers.

2 weeks to go apparently... and I've read it might be in jeopardy - which would be a huge shame

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The following is posted on SEAT Sport's webby.

"SEAT Sport UK is testing its 2008 spec SEAT Cupra Championship Leon this Friday (22nd February) at Silverstone. Drivers who are interested in racing in the 2008 or 2009 SEAT Cupra Championships and would like to test the car are invited to register their interest by e-mailing [email protected], as a limited number of places are still available."

What's a limited number??

Bear in mind though as Iain says, they often have a load of names confirmed in the few weeks leading upto the start of the season.

As far as I am aware they won't confirm them on the webby until they pay a deposit, sign on the dotted line so to speak.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I guess there are a limited number of cars too.

That's a good point. Do you know how many SSUK brought into the country? I remember they brought something like 24 of the original Leon Supercopa cars into the UK in 2003. Not sure if they would have imported as many of the new ones though, maybe they were available on demand.

I'm sure more names will come out of the woodwork, if the Clio people really were that cheesed off last year with their situation and are looking for somewhere else to go.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
What's a limited number??

How do you mean?

Well...28 is the total number of places and with only 6 confirmed 22 places are still up for grabs.

So I guess we are probably talking 22 as the limited number if we are talking in terms of total places available for the 2008 SCC. But that is quite a lot don't you think?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'm sure there aren't 22 cars in the warehouse, nor could 22 cars be turned round in the factory in a timely enough fashion

a few of the cars are now not to UK spec, so will never be eligible to compete from last years 'delivery'

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I know Morrisons of Stirling have one that gets used in the Scottish/Northern Sports and Saloons and I think I read about another one or two possibly being used for Britcar/LMA Saloons/DMN Saloons. If only they had put a clause in when buying them like Porsche have done in the past, meaning you have to use it exclusively in the Carrera Cup for the first year. One way of boosting the grid sizes.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise