Seat Car Battery Replacement

Sep 21, 2020
Hi guys,

Need to replace my car battery. Had a couple of questions:

1. Are there any additional steps we need to do for Start Stop Cars? Never replaced a start stop car battery before hence just wanted to check - Getting mixed views of what needs doing with some videos saying nothing additional required.
2. What is the original OEM battery that comes with the car?

FYI - For the 1.2 TSI

Thanks.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Hopefully I can help you out here: My own 1.2TSI had a battery change 2 years ago, before I got the car, and the previous owner had put a bigger capacity battery on in its place. I had noticed that the start stop was a bit flaky, and when I checked on VCDS, in address 61 Battery Regulator, the battery was still coded for the old capacity. Any change to the AH and/or CCA rating needs to be recoded to keep the battery management system working as it should, and if an OEM battery is put on, then there is the facility to change the serial number of the battery too. Recoding mine instantly cured the start stop issue I had.
Generally, a new battery just needs the serial number tweaking by +1 (I always change this whether or not the replacement actually has a serial number on it), and the AH and CCA settings checked, and changed using VCDS - again VCDS address 61 Battery Regulator.

The radio code is stored in the instrument cluster, so the car remembers the code after the battery has been disconnected. But the dashboard computer will reset, and you will need to reset the one shot up and down of the drivers door window by working the switch and holding the switch for a few seconds in both the fully up and fully down positions. Personally I use a battery saver plugged into the diagnostic port, which keeps power to the vehicle's systems whilst the battery is disconnected, so resetting things isn't needed.

The OEM battery on my Toledo 1.2TSI Nav was a 59AH/320CCA spec. It was replaced with a 60AH/560CCA spec.

Hope this helps

Reactions: 249mat
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.