SEAT gone.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Sad news indeed, bad enough they dropped WTCC but for SEAT to scrap the entire division just seems brutal and longer term a concern for the brand.

They built their image on their sporty heritage, and I honestly believe that having no sporting arm is going to make them an also ran in terms of the customers. Maybe they intend to refocus as a green brand seems to me that's where they are going, and though thats a honourable direction there is room for motorsport and sporty marques within the brand even under a green banner.

Seems the door has been firmly shut on any future involvment, just reads like a complete hatchet job to me.

A great shame... not so sure the football sponsorship will serve them as well. :rolleyes:

When people think of cars they don't think oh it must be a good one as they sponsor my football league or team.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Subaru are supposed to be looking towards WTCC entry in 2011. But the whole economic situation has turned manufacturers focus away from motorsport thids is true.

When SEAT gave up the rallying, they brought the SEAT Sport team in house and the R cars were born, which then lead back to motor-racing. But seems by canning the entire division any chance of having a sporting heritage has been consigned to the history books.

Leonidas

Really sad day for SEAT fans :(
Im not even gonna bother watching wtcc next season...

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Not going to be much of a world championship, BMW have downscaled to two works cars , SEAT have gone, Lada gone. It also leaves a big question mark over independents like SUNRED, surely privateers won't touch the Leon's if they have no factory division backup, part procurement may well be difficult?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net

Interesting but I can see FIA calling time on the diesels now, they are only likely to get one more season out of them before they are banned or restricted out of contention. Without a major player like SEAT being the main driving force to include the diesel and many opponents to the diesel inclusion i think their days in WTCC are numbered. Especially now they are looking at 1.6 Petrol Turbo engines for 2011 onwards.

Last edited:

Leonidas

At least Guy Wilks is going driving for Skoda next year. Something to cheer at least :(

Leonidas

Even more annoying is news I read somewhere that VW are looking at WRC [:@]

Leonidas

Not going to be much of a world championship, BMW have downscaled to two works cars , SEAT have gone, Lada gone. It also leaves a big question mark over independents like SUNRED, surely privateers won't touch the Leon's if they have no factory division backup, part procurement may well be difficult?

Is it possible Z that sunred might take over from SEAT sport(in terms of support)? They are capable seein as they built the SEAT Cupra GT and the SR-(cant remember) supercar!!!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I suppose it's similar to Vauxhall in the BTCC. They can't justify spending money on motorsport when there are people possibly losing jobs.

Leonidas

I suppose it's similar to Vauxhall in the BTCC. They can't justify spending money on motorsport when there are people possibly losing jobs.

Well whats annoying is they didnt even say they may return in the future(VXR did). Just laid them off or reassigned them to another post. :no:

dave_ph

:)
Jul 12, 2006
Somerset
www.vagowners.co.uk
Even more annoying is news I read somewhere that VW are looking at WRC [:@]

seems that the vag group seem to be doing its best to strip seat of is sporty image (take the new cupra R for example) and shift it across to volkswagen (looking at the new golf R)

Shame because I always have found volkswagens boring and stupidly overpriced. A girl at work has a mk4 gti which has a n/a 1.8 and not even air con!

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
That is sad to hear. I can't believe Seat are going to get rid of their whole Sporting division :(
I thought that Seat was supposed to be the young and sporty arm of the VAG empire.
Alex

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Yet another motorsport tragedy :( Fingers crossed if the economy ever picks up Seat rethink this decision.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise