Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI or Renault Clio 182?

mada88

Which would be best for mainly town driving? Pros of the cupra? I know the huge torque and economy would be good but decent ones cost quite a bit. And I'm sure the cupra couldn't hold a candle to the clio's handling/fun factor.

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
:) Brilliant though the 182 is.I don't consider it as a town car.The Cupra TDI would be the better car for your needs.
If you want to save a few bucks,buy an FR TDI instead.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
infairness neither of them are exactly town cars, but out of the 2 the clio i would have thought. The TDi would be better for long distance, you considered an FR or Cupra 1.8T? i think there better suited to town than then dervs

joop200789

Jul 5, 2009
Barnsly
and if you start getting board of the power, the tdi will be more tunable then the 182 unless you wan to spend silly money

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I wouldn't enjoy my Clio for town driving. Lots better on A roads - far more suited to that than city sprawl (heavy clutch)

I'd say a Cupra TDI would suck in town as well, the laggier turbo compared to an FR, but also the stupidly stiff ride.

For outright fun, the Clio will win every day.... that you're not in a city

mada88

Thanks for the advice fella's much apreciated. So would the cupras laggy turbo make it slow in the stop start of town driving? Does the cupra need long straights like on a roads to show its speed? Personally I wouldn't mind a heavy clutch as I don't like the light one I have now. It would probably be cheaper to buy a clio 182 compared the price of a decent low mileage cupra.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Stop Start round town would do your head in... 0-20mph is not what it's for.. it's not slow round town, but it will always be better once it has some speed on it's side & you have some boost.

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
Thanks for the advice fella's much apreciated. So would the cupras laggy turbo make it slow in the stop start of town driving? Does the cupra need long straights like on a roads to show its speed? Personally I wouldn't mind a heavy clutch as I don't like the light one I have now. It would probably be cheaper to buy a clio 182 compared the price of a decent low mileage cupra.

It's not like the Cupra doesn't move below 2000rpm. It will be fine in a stop start scenario, as will the 182. Why do you need to be fast in heavy traffic? Surely you'll be at the mercy of the other traffic? A 1.2 will be good enough for town traffic!

Disco_Biscuit

Ibiza Cupra Tdi PD200
Jul 8, 2007
I've got a Cupra and do a 70 mile commute every day in central london, i don't find the clutch heavy or the turbo laggy but what is awful is the ride quality its driving me insane:cry: its as high as a 4x4 but is so stiff you have to go over speed humps at 2mph.

But get it on a decent road and it goes like stink, i out paced a Focus ST round the lanes this moring ;)

I really should have bought an FR but could see myself having to upgrade the FMIC and Brakes which would cost as much as buying the Cupra in the first place.

borderboy

Sep 5, 2009
Gretna Green
At the end of the day your always going to have totaly diferent opinions when two total oposite cars are mentioned.....

best bet is to have a go in either of the cars....!

the cupra is a fantastic car and will outrun alot of other road users with little effort !

personaly the suspension isn't really an issue with me and mine is lowerd on coilovers, and i live in the countryside on little back roads.....but it's only really a fun car for me and not used for work or comuting very often !

mada88

It takes a bit for the cupra to catch up and then its bye bye clio. But round town etc its more like straight then a round a bout then corners then straights. So a clio would probs be faster.
I should of said I want a fast car not just for town driving. A lot of A-B roads aswell. An fr would be cheaper but wouldnt be as fast as the two.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It takes a bit for the cupra to catch up and then its bye bye clio.

LOL, reckon my 20% weight saving over a Cupra TDI says otherwise.

best bet is to have a go in either of the cars....!

Do this (well, drive both) - they're both good cars, and will both test drive very well on the typical dealer dual carriageway up & down blasts. So find typical roads that you will drive on

Personally I don't think either car suits town driving!

And before people blast me (I've driven both extensively)

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
It takes a bit for the cupra to catch up and then its bye bye clio. But round town etc its more like straight then a round a bout then corners then straights. So a clio would probs be faster.
I should of said I want a fast car not just for town driving. A lot of A-B roads aswell. An fr would be cheaper but wouldnt be as fast as the two.

The Clio is a great hatch. You should be able to pick up one fairly cheap these days but the Cupra can be fettled with fairly easily, making it a very quick car. That takes nothing away from the fun factor - a less powered Clio will be just as much fun.

I used to own a 172 Cup - that was fun but I didn't reall y ever hammer it around town. The Clio isn't that fast in a straight line.

mada88

LOL, reckon my 20% weight saving over a Cupra TDI says otherwise.

Do this (well, drive both) - they're both good cars, and will both test drive very well on the typical dealer dual carriageway up & down blasts. So find typical roads that you will drive on

Personally I don't think either car suits town driving!

And before people blast me (I've driven both extensively)

Its not that easy to find a cupra near me there all miles away im guna test drive a clio 182 next week. The interior on the clio is total whack and i've only sat in an fr and that felt cheap and dark though it felt better than the clio. Though tbh a fiesta st interior is sooo much better than both the clio and ibiza its just a shame the performance is to slow. By town driving i dont mean like inner city contantly stuck in traffic jams its like 30-40 50+ at times stopping and starting for mainly traffic lights/round a bouts some corners etc.
I'll probably f**k the ibiza and clio off and get an st fiesta. But i'd just be pissed thats it too slow.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks

Get and fr tdi and get it re-mapped, sorted, quick as them both easily and allot cheaper on insurance etc. Or if your considering a petrol car and mpg doesnt matter get a 1.8t cupra id say.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Personally I think TDIs are great for stop-start driving if you're often sat in queues edging forward, as you can move off each time just by lifting the clutch, no revs needed like you'd need to in a petrol. They are quite hard to stall.

If that's where you're going to spend most of the time though, a Cupra TDI would seem a bit of a waste...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise