Seat Ibiza EPC light on and acceleration problem?

nupgur

i got a 08' seat ibiza at the start of the year in january i put up 33'000 km since.
This morning i started car and drove it around, dose'nt matter what gear its in or if i keep car in high or low revs the acelorrator seems to cut out every 10 - 20 sec's.
The car stays running just as if there's no petrol, but once i start pumping the accelorator it works again.

Dose anyone have any ideas the epc light came on after 30 - 40 minutes after it started happening. I had the car serviced at the start of the year at 16,000km and its 2,000 km overdue a 2nd service. Can i Still drive it? :cry:

Mike90

I had the same problem last year on my 1.2

Because Its an electronic accelerator, Its done by a potentiometer type switch. I.e. as you press the pedal, it changes the resistance in the switch thus causing the car to accelerate. The only fix, is to get a new one. If I remember correctly the part was around £7 - £15 plus labour if your not confident enough to do it yourself (like me).

By the looks of it, Its just a case of getting access to the switch, unplug it and put in the new one.

Hope this helps you.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yup, beaten to it!, some say that EPC equates to electronic pedal control - might be true as that is certainly the case - you should find the potentiometer box on the throttle pedal - top end (obviously!). Things might improve for a while if you pump it a lot with the ignition off - it might just clean up some "bad" sectors - you never know, its all you can do to help you until you fix it - and it just work - certainly no guarantee though I'm afraid - sorry!

Last edited:

nupgur

thanks for help,
how i fixed it was, appearently my brake light was out yesterday and today the other one was out and for some reason screwed up my electrics when there out, all i did was i gave the 2 plastic light holders a tap and the bulbs went back on (think they were only out of place) but ya that fixed it :confused:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.