Seat Ibiza Gearbox - 5sp or 6sp as standard?

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
How much did you pay mate? you wouldnt get an IHI anywhere for 4k no matter what state it is in, the reason its worth more than the average cupra on pistonheads is the 7K+ bill the car will have from jabbasport for the meaty turbo kit on it plus the rest of the mods (e.g. brembos etc..)

I managed to get mine for fairly cheap back in september but the thing was a state!! (lucky i saw it as a project!), every privately sold car has hidden problems, thats why they go for so much less..its harsh having to pay out for a new box..but i really dont think you have been that ripped off (as long as its not too close to the price of PJ's), can you even predict when these boxes are going to go??? are there signs?... Hopefully things will perk up for you!! and you wont find anymore issues..

Last edited:

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
TBH If he had said to me over the phone it needs x,y,z doing to it, thats why its the price it is I may not feel so ripped off, I did not think this was that cheap as I had a look at some others and they were going for around 4k, with lower mileage but just not as high spec. He did mention a few things and I was willing to pay the price e.g it needed tax, new front tyres and new break pads, He failed to mention the new discs, the new gearbox, the creases in the roof, new tyres all round the jacking cover missing, the busted seat runner drivers side, just to name a few. I maybe should have done my homework a little better before parting with my money but like I said I was a ford man, but this just caught my eye. He also said it had been serviced a week before but the oil was black, the air filter had not been touched and tbh looked like the bonnet had never been lifted since he had it. I feel that I was being reasonable to ask him to pay 50/50 towards the g/box and forget the rest I have since found that I am legally allowed to have my money back or ask him to pay the full amount as the car was misrepresented.
I have worked hard saving for a reliable fast car and just feel gutted that I travelled all that way to be sold a car on dishonesty.

It has an IHI big turbo conversion. That alone will cost between £3000-£5000 and thats with an already modified car. You cannot compare it to other Ibiza Cupras that are on k03/s or the like. At £5800 you got a good deal as you have pretty much just paid for the IHI conversion let alone the brakes, wheels, full respray and other mods.

Did you not check the tyres, brakes, jacking covers and for dents and paint when you viewed it? I know you feel hard done by with the gearbox going which is fair enough if he knew it was on its way but the other things are things you check when you are buying a car and haggle with so you cant really complain in my opinion. I think Shanty will agree from experience that you get what you pay for when it come to cars like this. You can buy a cheap one and save on the purchase price of the car just to spend more than it would have cost to get a good one fixing things etc.

Once its all sorted it will be one hell of a car and you will love it so dont let it get you down

Last edited:

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Yeah if i had bought yours PJ it would have cost alot less in the long run (i spent 1500 quid in the first week of buying it!), but in my case i'm happy as its part of the fun restoring something back to its former glory!

weeman we could always come to some sort of agreement if you really dont want the white one anymore ;)

Weeman84

It has an IHI big turbo conversion. That alone will cost between £3000-£5000 and thats with an already modified car. You cannot compare it to other Ibiza Cupras that are on k03/s or the like. At £5800 you got a good deal as you have pretty much just paid for the IHI conversion let alone the brakes, wheels, full respray and other mods.

Did you not check the tyres, brakes, jacking covers and for dents and paint when you viewed it? I know you feel hard done by with the gearbox going which is fair enough if he knew it was on its way but the other things are things you check when you are buying a car and haggle with so you cant really complain in my opinion. I think Shanty will agree from experience that you get what you pay for when it come to cars like this. You can buy a cheap one and save on the purchase price of the car just to spend more than it would have cost to get a good one fixing things etc.

Once its all sorted it will be one hell of a car and you will love it so dont let it get you down

hi,thanks for the replys guys. Im aware i wouldnt get one the same spec for this money,but i would of at least got a minter.......Its gonna cost me a bomb to put this right..:(
What can i say, i was excited about getting it.I was told on the phone it was mint.I travelled for 4.5 hours to get there to find it had this and that wrong with it. I wasnt happy about these bits, and im not a mechanic...... I was told it doesnt always go into 3rd very easy but it does go. Just for it to play up before i got home. I know gearboxes "can" just go,but not like that....... It was only then that i really started to look at all the other bits,that it werent two tyres that needed changing,it was four,that the oil is old,and that no way has it been serviced.etc etc.
By the time i have corrected all the bits i could of bought a cheaper minter,and had it converted myself for the same money..:(

I accept all the bits that I missed is my problem as already stated........but the gearbox problem is bang out of order.. I see that some of you on here know the bloke i bought it off.......and i havent come on here to stir etc. I just want the problem sorted,and wanted advice on the gearbox situation.

Will a standard box hold this power or will it need to be uprated in some way? obviously it will need a lsd? what do you guys suggest?

thanks

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
LSD is 100% worthwhile for this type of power, and as far as i'm aware gearbox's are fairly strong and only really have problems on cars near or over the 400hp mark, i dont think there is much you can do (which wouldnt cost a fortune) to make it stronger although a few guys tried cryo treatment (not sure what the results were)

P.S i wasnt trying to justify the sale, if he knew the box was on the way out its totally out of order, but in my experience of buying used cars there is always things wrong..and it could have been far worse!

Last edited:

AaronGS

Jan 8, 2007
Lancashire
Gutted for you mate.
Yes its gonna cost you a bit to sort but just bear in mind its gonna be worth it when done:)
As to the 'box, it may be worth ringing the likes of Backdraft for advise, other than that I am not sure but head up and it will work out fine I am sure.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
worth putting cash aside as much as you can, the big power cars can sometimes come up with some big bills

Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
If i was you mate i'd try and source a second hand gearbox off someone. You may aswell go the extra mile and get the lsd fitted to the spare box and then get it fitted. Theres AMD in woking, might be worthwhile giving them a call and seeing what they can offer you. I've popped in there a few times and there always helpfull.

If its any consolation i see the car advertised and was thinking about doing a deal with mine but couldnt justify it with the amount of money i've spent. The car may need abit of a tidy up but alot of people will agree the car is amazing and has alot of money spent on it.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
LSD is 100% worthwhile for this type of power, and as far as i'm aware gearbox's are fairly strong and only really have problems on cars near or over the 400hp mark, i dont think there is much you can do (which wouldnt cost a fortune) to make it stronger although a few guys tried cryo treatment (not sure what the results were)

P.S i wasnt trying to justify the sale, if he knew the box was on the way out its totally out of order, but in my experience of buying used cars there is always things wrong..and it could have been far worse!

I broke 2nd and 3rd gears on mine when IHI'd on low to mid 300bhp levels
02J boxes are not that strong. Diff rivets will be the first failures, mine had quaife and was bolted so that never failed on mine.
02J's are £250 approx to find used, so get one, bung it in, and your on the road again for not too much ££

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
hi,thanks for the replys guys. Im aware i wouldnt get one the same spec for this money,but i would of at least got a minter.......Its gonna cost me a bomb to put this right..:(
What can i say, i was excited about getting it.I was told on the phone it was mint.I travelled for 4.5 hours to get there to find it had this and that wrong with it. I wasnt happy about these bits, and im not a mechanic...... I was told it doesnt always go into 3rd very easy but it does go. Just for it to play up before i got home. I know gearboxes "can" just go,but not like that....... It was only then that i really started to look at all the other bits,that it werent two tyres that needed changing,it was four,that the oil is old,and that no way has it been serviced.etc etc.
By the time i have corrected all the bits i could of bought a cheaper minter,and had it converted myself for the same money..:(

I accept all the bits that I missed is my problem as already stated........but the gearbox problem is bang out of order.. I see that some of you on here know the bloke i bought it off.......and i havent come on here to stir etc. I just want the problem sorted,and wanted advice on the gearbox situation.

Will a standard box hold this power or will it need to be uprated in some way? obviously it will need a lsd? what do you guys suggest?

thanks

I dont know the guy that sold it at all but it sounds like he told you there was a gearbox issue anyway if he said it sometimes doesnt go in to 3rd. Do you not have a bill for the service or at least oil and service pack? If you dont then if I was buying I would have said it hadnt had it. As I said before if the gearbox has gone then its a perfect time to get a diff. Id go for Quaife as Peloquin has had some issues with bolt but its anyones choice. Once this is in their with a rebuilt 02j box it will be nice to drive and shouldnt fail. Cryo would be abit overkill imo for what it costs.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey

thanks

Dont kid yourself. You wouldnt have a hope in hell of doing it for anywhere near what you will have spent on the car you have got now broken let alone with a fixd gearbox. I have spent over £10k on mine and thats without even buying the car!

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Cheap at £150 and doesnt say mileage or condition but if you are getting a diif you can get it rebuilts anyway. 02a will fit. Cant remeber if its one of the ones when you need to change the shifter tower for your 02j or not but it will fit.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
You managed to get a box for this yet? I might be able to get you one with a Peloquin diff already if you are interested as a friend of mine is changing his 1.8t for a 2.0tfsi and his gearbox might be for sale. Might help you out.

steven878

Jan 2, 2009
sorry to hear about your problems mate. i emailed the guy about 2 weeks ago asking about engine mounts, clutch, gearbox, bushes, engine internals, paintwork and he just got in contact yesterday saying it was sold, seemed a bit strange to me. still mate throw a box in it give it a good service and clean and please paint the roof and mirrors white and then its just a matter of sorting out the little niggles. still alot of car for the money.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise