Seat leon 1.4 2016

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
Hi everyone, I was looking at a focus 1.0 ecoboost but have been put off due to reading about the engine problems etc. I have seen a leon 1.4 2016 model locally. It's really tidy and in a nice sporty red. Also has the 18 inch wheels fitted so looks smart. Only thing I would add is a nice boot spoiler. I wanted to ask what these cars are like in general. I haven't read up touch on them as the net only seems to point out the bad points. The cars covered 30k. Also the £30 tax is good compared to my 2009 focus 1.6 which is £200 a year. Anything I need to look for when I test it out?

Reactions: MXP2090

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019

Attachments

• received_1264709080369188.jpeg
    received_1264709080369188.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 113

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Pretty nippy (not fast) and pretty economical for a petrol turbo if driven correctly.

Pros I would say the kit that comes as standard and bang for buck compared to other vw brands.

Cons I need to mention the rattles from doors and the general lack of soundproofing in the car.

All the looks, handling etc are subjective so a test drive will help you massively in your decision, I love mine but there are some draw backs to it as with any car.

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
I had a 2015 one exactly the same as this for 3 years and loved it. The car is surprisingly quick and the engine is really refined. I managed to average 42mpg with a heavy right foot. The only drawback with this engine is that it runs out of puff at about 4k rpm. By contrast my current 1.8FR which is pretty much identical on paper is much more driveable and feels quicker as the engine pulls hard well beyond the red line. The car was solid for 3 years and didn't suffer from the infamous door card rattles.

Deathjam

Aug 24, 2015
Leeds-ish
Yeah, I think a test drive is the best option. So this would be the 150bhp.

https://cartaxcheck.co.uk/free-car-check/?vrm=cu16mtz&ab=&ref=Organic&cid=

looks like a 150 fr tech

i had this car/engine(2014 model, manual) before the cupra, its a good car, iirc i used to get about 42 mpg - 420 range, and i did drive it in sport mode everywhere :D
i had no issues with it, no breakdowns in 4 year of ownership, performance is relative, it was the fastest car i had up to that point, (previous 1.2 clio (52 plate), 1.4 fiesta (54 plate) ), so for me it was great power. its good low-mid revs 3rd gear stuff.

b-roads + manual 3rd and 4th = fun

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If this is indeed the 1.4 150 ACT, then this is a very good engine, some say even better than the current 1.5 150ACT as it's geared more optimally, and not to pass WLTP. Give it a tank or 2 of Shell/Esso's finest (most expensive) petrol, and you should be good to go. You should be able to average 40+ mpg on mix of driving, and if on long 40-70mph roads, perhaps even high 50s / low 60s mpg as it shuts of half the engine to save fuel on light throttle.

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Yeah, I think a test drive is the best option. So this would be the 150bhp.

That's the same as mine.
If this is indeed the 1.4 150 ACT, then this is a very good engine, some say even better than the current 1.5 150ACT as it's geared more optimally, and not to pass WLTP. Give it a tank or 2 of Shell/Esso's finest (most expensive) petrol, and you should be good to go. You should be able to average 40+ mpg on mix of driving, and if on long 40-70mph roads, perhaps even high 50s / low 60s mpg as it shuts of half the engine to save fuel on light throttle.

I can vouch for this my long term average is 40 mpg but on motorway it's usually 55ish and up to 60-65 if the route includes roadworks at 50 mph.

Enjoying it to its fullest on sport mode in town gives around 25 mpg so not bad at all.

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
Thanks for all your replies. It's a one owner car with 31k on the clock. Full SEAT service history. My current car, a focus 1.6 16v 2009 plate does about 32mpg, £200 a year to tax and slow as you like.

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
What kind of price should I expect it to go up for??? Its only just been px in and no price on it yet. Its a minter. I was thinking of £10,495 or thereabouts.

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
I've not long got a 17 plate pre facelift paid £11000 for it from a seat dealer one owner full service history 25k miles only difference to that one is mine is a three door.
Easy to get high 40s low 50s mpg
It does rattle a bit on the inside nothing the radio can't mask.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Hi everyone, I was looking at a focus 1.0 ecoboost but have been put off due to reading about the engine problems etc. I have seen a leon 1.4 2016 model locally. It's really tidy and in a nice sporty red. Also has the 18 inch wheels fitted so looks smart. Only thing I would add is a nice boot spoiler. I wanted to ask what these cars are like in general. I haven't read up touch on them as the net only seems to point out the bad points. The cars covered 30k. Also the £30 tax is good compared to my 2009 focus 1.6 which is £200 a year. Anything I need to look for when I test it out?

I recently purchased a 2015 Leon FR 150 which i think is the same, if not very similar to this.

Genuinely love it, its got some poke for a 1.4 turbo, seats are great really comfy, economical also.

As others have mentioned, there is a slight rattling you can get from door pockets and glove box if you have things in there and you're driving at speed, but I've lined mine with non slip rubber which has eliminated that.
Also find that my side mirrors are very far forward. I feel i have to turn my head quite a bit to look in the nearside mirror which is a bit uncomfortable but that's probably just me
Apart from that i don't really have much else to comment.

Great value for money in my opinion.

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
OK all this feedback is very helpful. I didn't realise that the car had a facelift in 2017. Are they a better car or is it just little touches to the exterior that the car had?

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
Cheers. I always remember the older Red Leons used to suffer from lacquer peel. Do these later cars suffer the same, especially as its red

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
Do you know the timing belt change intervals?
Cam belt is every 5 years or 60k miles
Face-lift car have a bigger info screen 8 inches instead of 6.5 inches, different front bumper and fog lights also the headlights are different more light output and have led indicators and rear lights are all led.
I'm sure there are one or two other things as well but as far as I'm aware those are the bigger things.
Engine chassis brakes suspension body except bumper's are the same.
If I'm wrong someone will I'm sure correct me.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Cam belt is every 5 years or 60k miles
Face-lift car have a bigger info screen 8 inches instead of 6.5 inches, different front bumper and fog lights also the headlights are different more light output and have led indicators and rear lights are all led.
I'm sure there are one or two other things as well but as far as I'm aware those are the bigger things.
Engine chassis brakes suspension body except bumper's are the same.
If I'm wrong someone will I'm sure correct me.

Is 2016 when they introduced the dynamic indicators then?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise