Seat Leon FR TDI - onvi yellow 4wd project (the beast that is no longer TDI)

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
thank you :D, its just a case of funding now, im aiming to save up plenty so i can buy it all in one go to be honest so at the moment im doing crazy hours and plenty of overtime.. have no time for my self ... 6 until 6 .. monday to sunday :lol:

Bobbybee

Mines all done.
As its just ticked on 100k i ve changed the rad packs, Full detailed service, all belts changed engine cleaned and bay painted make it look fresh again its now ready to be professionally painted (faded yellow)
I am going to get my car back from the paint shop this Saturday or Monday so well excited but the idiots disconnected the battery to detail paint the surroundings and now the radio dont work and i dont have the code :(
I ve gone for the slightly darker yellow. Its Giallo Modena so hope i haven't ruined it but it looked good among all the other samples they sprayed ready for me to choose from.
Will try to post pic when its ready if i can find out how to do that here.
Would appreciate if someone can guide me how to post pics/start new thread.

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
okie.... so a bit more of an update, collecting all the s3 parts tomorrow which have been powder coated ...;) how and what style you will find out tomorrow ;), just need this damn gear box now which im trying my hardest to keep putting cash to one side so i can get it quick but things keep cropping up.. but ill have it either this week or next, then my project is nearly ready to crack on with... ive warned the neighbours that they may encounter some slight drilling soon :lol:, im still trying to decide on wheels which is a nightmare oh and i will now be buying a full hose kit for the car as ive found out why im having a huge amount of black crap coming out the back of my car.... and why my car seems to lag a bit every half a mile or so.....it appears the first pipe that comes off the EGR... has a huge hole in there underneath.. thats all i needed.. lovely, that will explain why she seems to be using fuel like shes drinking orange juice.

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
quattro onvi yellow leon TDI build progress - 5%

ok so all parts are now back and looking lovely... (in my eyes) some may like and some will hate however.. each to their own :).
a few pictures of the running gear...before cleaned and powder coated....

[URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/carl_ptfr/media/P1010416_zps2fc0fcbc.jpg.html]

once finished and picked up from being shot blasted and powder coated also the subframe and cradle filled with a wax to stop further rust in the future....i went for a special effect in the end :)... hope you like...

Gloss black with rainbow glitter :).
next job on the list....pick up this gear box for once and for all, finish getting the rear diff, transfer box and get the gear box all cleaned up read to be painted... more up dates soon :).

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
thank you for the comments :), im chuffed with the result as well to be honest... just got the other s3 hub in there at the moment being powder coated as it needed a little mod doing to it however that should be back with me monday, on order now is all brand new nuts and bolts which will then be nickel plated once they arrive and ive also gone as far as buying new brake line plastic clips... im chuffed i did as well because the ones i took off were a firm white plastic and looked well tatty and the ones that i ordered brand new from tps.. came more as a rubber and they were black goes with the paint better :lol:, im just now trying to find out exactly what bits can be polybushed and what bits carnt... so far it looks like the brackets that hold the rear diff in carnt be polybushed but there and again i dont think they really would need to be so looks like some new rubber bushes from tps for them parts, as for my brakes joshy... i wont be using LCR brembos.... im going for 6 pots on the front and 4 pots on the back ;)... youll soon see :D, im also in the process of having brand new brake lines made up from goodridge to go right the way through the car...stainless steel braided with i think im going for a yellow outer case, i just need to make my mind up on what colour calipers to go for black.. red... or yellow.

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
new update, all my parts back now, ive had two options get the transger box stripped down and also the rear diff... so they can be powder coated however im looking at 250 a piece to get them stripped also hes said he carnt powder coat the steering rack with it having seals on it so in the end ive decided im going to clean up the rear diff and transfer box my self and paint all three of these together so I get the same result all round so ive spent today doing the steering rack also bought my self a new drill ready for drilling out the spot welds and for using with the wire brush bits.. id started cleaning up the rear diff and transfer box my self before but I was using a battery drill and to be honest it was pants and I wasn't really getting very far this new drill is much better and im seing results much quicker... I liked the steering rack with a polished metal look however I know if I keep it like that it wont last so ive decided to paint it any way, ive gone for a glitter silver and I think it looks orite so far, I will put pictures up once I home (im at the girl friends now), the only thing I was thinking maybe I should of used a anti rust grey primer ive seen first before I put the paint on maybe I would of got a better result?, like I say ive done the rack so far and applied the paint straight to it with out the primer however I may buy the primer and try it on the diff and see if it looks any better ?, any ideas on this ?....on the plus side its coming along nicely now... gearbox should be with me Friday.. im getting fed up of waiting now so im going to just pay it all out on Friday and get it over and done with :lol:.

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
the words "hacked off" come to mind right now.... driving back from my mates to hear a stupid slapping noise on the road... passenger rear tyre had decided to slice its self open ... yeah cheers, i must admit this rear axle of mine is really peeving me off right now with this stupid camber... i carnt believe the knock i had has messed it up so much....really need to hurry up and crack on with this project now...ill be making my enquiery about my wheels tomorrow to hurry them up:D

Awesome read! Be keeping a close eye on this, wish I had the money to 4wd mine :( also are you selling your lowering springs? And can I borrow you to wire me things up lol I'm useless with what wires go where when they different colours, ie like wiring boost gauge up. Anyway well done you've gave me inspiration and motivation :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
hey there thank you for the comments and yeah i will be selling my lowering springs ... they are h&r ive even still got the box for them :lol: so as you can imagine they havnt been on that long, as for the wiring side of things yeah no problem...anytime.

Back to my project build...its been going a little slow (in my eyes) just latley and its mainly because im working that much i dont have time to go and get stuff and to buy stuff :lol:, however my girl friend has been really good with me and putting up with me on a weekend.. when i finish work :lol: and when ive been spending my time at hers ive been managing to get the transfer box and rear diff and steering rack all cleaned up and ready for being sprayed ... ive completed the steering rack and to be honest im fairly chuffed with my self about it... im just hoping i get just as good of a result with the rear diff and trasnfer box.
im not really waiting on that much now before i can start it.... the only thing im looking into deeply is trying to change all the bushes right the way through to saphircal bearings and do away with bushes pritty much completly... though im unsure if they make them for the rear trailing arms for the s3 :S other than that virtually every were else with be done.
a few pictures of the steering rack after been cleaned and also primered and painted, daft arse here ended up painting it with no primer on "to see how it looked" in other words being inpatient then after words it was playing on me so i was like no i have to take all the paint back off and primer it properly and then paint it :lol: so in the end i cleaned it back up again and used acid etching primer on it followed by another over coat primer then my colour and then a bit of lacquer.

That was it with out primer... i then decided... to strip it back down and go the whole way....

the result was this...

Last edited:

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
wow... its been a while since ive put updates on here.. ive just been completly and utterly hectic ive ended up moving into goole with my partner and ive had no time what so ever to get sorted and to get anything done....ive got all settled now and its now time to make a start on getting this car sorted and carry on with the project :D

bendohhh

Nov 11, 2010
Stockton
Hey, it's the guy who you trapped with your wagon earlier today ha. So far the thread looks promising, you need to get an update up.

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby

Update on the project ;), so I've gone from this.....
To this.... although I've been quiet and not on here a great deal it hasn't been a project that's been quit on as many may have thought, I was going to keep it quiet and just let it show up out of no where however I've got many other supprises in store

That was my stripping process next for the cutting....

So here I've stripped all the engine, running gear and fuel tank then I went about removing the seat belt holders and the chair supports.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise