Seat Leon FR TDI - onvi yellow 4wd project (the beast that is no longer TDI)

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Will be epic once done, I just hope its not going to be one of those projects that keeps haunting you with problems after. Got a question too, if you've got £280 to spend on new nuts and bolts etc, then why not sell the leon and get something newer and send it to darkside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
okie my reply to both :).... the cutting went brilliant.. to be honest I barley cut any of it! it took me a lot longer however instead I drilled out all the spot welds with about 8 spot weld drill bits :lol:, ill be doing the same to the leon just so its a lot cleaner and easier to swop the floors over, my reply to you joshy is really simple :lol:....I have this money to spend on all these parts shearly because im working my ass of to do it and lots of saving and sacrifices, yeah I could buy some thing newer and send it to darkside but weres the fun in that mate :lol:, Im not all that keen on the new shape leons (no offence to the guys that have them) there just not my choice, though I do think there nice just not for me to own one if that makes sense :S ? and the only other car I like that id probably have is a sirocco but don't like the idea of messing with a brand new car, plus the most simple side of it all ..... no other car is a mk1 leon I think there brilliant and to be honest I don't really have intentions of getting rid of it, first thing I said to my mate when I bought it was if I could ever get this 4 wheel drive id never get rid of it (my other choice before I bought this car was an evo 9) ..im glad I picked the leon, the joy of owning a Quattro leon will be amazing and I think ill shock a few people with it, its five door and tdi ... no need to worry if I ever have kids and also its decent on fuel... every reason to keep it.. and just look after it :)

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
yeah mate ... now :lol:, ermm on a serious note I havnt really got a set date in my head as of yet im just making sure I have EVERYTHING ready so when I do it every thing can be done all at once and im not waiting around because when I start it I want it done within the 2 weeks mark.. so in the mean time its just getting every thing done and ready... the nuts and bolts are on their way from audi... gear box is being built as we speak and diff and transfer box are being rebuilt all the parts are being powder coated, ive got a guy coming from pipetek to measure my brake lines as they have a contract with goodridge and my brake lines are going to be stainless steel braided right the way through, but to be honest I think im only about 4-6 weeks away from having every thing I want to go onto it...ill probably be starting the car in the next 8 weeks as ive seen a new set of suspension arms for the front I want but there like 400 pound :lol:, then im getting new bearings all round but there cheap enough..bottom ball joints and new tie rod arms to get as im also putting s3 Quattro front end on with the different front hubs and the quick rack then of course polybush to buy all round :)..... p.s sorry for my essays... its been a while :lol:

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
ok this was my next phase after getting all the running gear off I then had to get the floor out of the audi ready to swop with mine this was a fairly easy process I personally thought :), I used spot weld drill bits and just drilled out all the spot welds I went through about 8 mind :lol:, only bit of cutting I did was towards the front and even then it wasn't loads .... I think I don't orite with the cutting considering ive never used an angle grinder :lol:... yet again picture heavy sorry guys :lol:
ill do it all in order ... so first lot of pictures are the inside and the underneath..

you can see the out line here of where the seam sealer is and how the inner arches are and the outer arches are ..

inside pictures

here you can see the out line of were the inner arch and outer arch is with the seam sealer ..

the first phase was to remove the seam sealer ...hot air guna and time:D

once id got all the seam sealer gone my next stage was to drill out all the spot welds...some thing ive never used before ... made a few scratches but soon got the hang of it ... and im not bothered about scratching the floor as its being sprayed to my car anyway :D

my little access hole I decided to cut :lol: also kept a square of the s3 as a memory :lol:

and the final result .... the floor out of the s3 and the car ready to go and be weighed in...

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
continuation .....

the final part.... bye bye s3 .......

as of now all running gear is being powder coated ... a rather special colour too;) , rear diff and transfer box is being rebuilt...they have been fully cleaned on the outside and when they come back they will be sprayed a nice colour, fuel tank is being properly cleaned as im going from a petrol tank to putting diesel in, im also in the process of buying all new parts to rebuild the car... bushes, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, nuts and bolts, even the stubs all round ( the parts the wheels fasten to with the abs ring on), new koni front and rear shocks which will be then sent off once they arrive to be "adjusted a little bit ;)", only thing im deciding on now is what wheels to put on :shrug:....I want some thing strong but something that looks good too..... I was going for the magnesium Porsche 911 turbo wheels as I get discount on Porsche stuff ;), but they still come out at 1200 a wheel :lol:, so im thinking either compomotive or bbs unless anyone has any ideas for me :D.

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
thanks for that choice of wheels joshy.... they look decent... i was also looking at einekin i know its spelt wrong lol....there was loads of them that caught my eye but i know for a fact id get loads of comments of people saying why have you got jap wheels on your car and all this i remember when i was on the delsol forum with my old car and they used to bitch loads about people have german cars and using "jap" parts, looking for strength and also good drive but yet at the same time good looking wheels... i know im asking alot but lets be fair i dont really want to be beating around the bush considering what im doing.

Bobbybee

That looks really good.
I like the rich yellow finish you car has.
Mines faded so bad that there is no other option then respray.

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
thanks mate... mines also getting resprayed... really not happy with the paint to be honest... yeah it looks lovely in the pictures but it does have some fade there ... im going to get it machine polished as this guy "rekons" he can bring its life back ... i very much doubt it so im also going for a respray, though leaving the front and rear bumpers side skirts ... bonnet and front wings ;) they are all going to be different and will need the new custom ones spraying (and no im not bodykitting it) not my taste :lol:

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
What else can you do to the rear beam other than powerflex and fit coilies whilst you're there? Big rear brakes? Centring plates? I'm pretty sure you're not going to haldex her, you won't have the car for 6 months, and you've got to spunk £3000 on a broken s3 lol! Wish I was fiddling with mine instead of being in this **** desert!

Sent from my iPhone

Biting my tongue right now! Also I'm back in this **** desert!

Sent from my iPhone

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
:lol: lets put it this way ... alot cheaper than half infact a quater of what you said mate :lol: hence why im spending so much having it all cleaned up and on top end new parts to go on it;)

Bobbybee

thanks mate... mines also getting resprayed... really not happy with the paint to be honest... yeah it looks lovely in the pictures but it does have some fade there ... im going to get it machine polished as this guy "rekons" he can bring its life back ... i very much doubt it so im also going for a respray, though leaving the front and rear bumpers side skirts ... bonnet and front wings ;) they are all going to be different and will need the new custom ones spraying (and no im not bodykitting it) not my taste :lol:
Every panel on my car looks different as its kept fading over the years.
I ve droped mine in the shop today for a respray but i am going to have it painted in a different color.
I was thinking of Audi Solar orange after i saw a ibiza Cupra here in that color. Dont look too bad actually.
Yep its mad when ppl people go for the whole bodykit thing on cupra. Nothing makes it look as good as factory options. Especially Cupra R and FR.

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
i also agree the cupra r and fr look brilliant from the factory hence why the bumpers will be only having slight modifications ;)....parts are all ready from powder coaters...gearbox is sat waiting for me to get my grabbers onto it, so not much now left to buy its getting exciting now as i know i can soon start my work on the leon :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.