SEAT Sport UK call time on the BTCC

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Right you 'orrible lot :)

With the decision of SEAT UK to withdraw from its racing activities at the end of the season, I'm putting together a little somthing on behalf of everybody at SCN for all the hospitality we've enjoyed over the years.

What would be absoluty great is that for everybody thats got SCN parking at Brands hatch to come and sign the gift before its presented. So once you've had a Barmy Army Bacon Sarnie, come and see me with your best handwriting:)

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Agreed with the brand following. As long as its a seat its worth a shout. :)

You can believe that concept in those who own SEAT cars, but do, and can, you believe in that concept in those who follow SEAT teams who don't own SEAT cars?

I don't own a SEAT car, I cannot even drive a car to save my life let alone own one, but I find myself loyally following SEAT as a marque in the BTCC. Following ALL teams that run SEAT's Independently as much as anyone who are able to drive and own a SEAT because For me they have all done well and been a credit to the marque. They have deserved my attention.

I have been an avid fan of the Independent's title race and believe if it weren't for Team Air Cool-GR Asia the race wouldn't be as strong or as interesting. Adding an Independent Leon to two strong beemers has definitely made it more interesting. THat is why I like Team Air Cool. Not just because another team I like (GR Asia) is behind it, but also because they have made the title race facinating.

BTC Racing I feel only seem to get that bit better when they get a new car because the new is an improvement on the old. The Toledo was an improvement on the IS200's and I hope if they buy SEAT's Leons they will prove an improvement on the Toledo's.

I think you can apply that idea to everyone and not just those who can drive and own a SEAT.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Interesting news that I have just heard about that some or many may or may not know about regarding how Cartridgeworld came to CVR in the first place.

From what I gather Phiroze was actually instrumental in bringing Cartridgeworld to CVR. He was a tutor on a trackday experience the head of marketing of Cartridgeworld was running and the company was looking to help Phiroze out with what may have been sponsorship during Phirozes' run in the Brish GT Championship but it never happened for whatever reason. But they retained contact. Anyhow, at the same time it appears Phiroze had requested some sort of 'environmental' angle to his racing and that was when seemingly he came upon Colin Neill and CVR. They were, as we know, doing something which involved carbon neutral motor-racing. The title sponsor had pulled out at about the same time when the sponsor was taken over and again from what I understand Cartridgeworld liked that and that must have meant they were able to come onboard.

I assume that was the case. That is what I understand watching a clip of some press thing on the CVR website.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
is that an astra vxr i spot in your avatar? a vauxhall driver that agrees that the vxr boys are a bunch of tools... excellent :D:D:D

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Deeply saddened by this news. Although I've temporarily defected to Audi we have always continued to support the SEAT team, and given that this is now their last year (for now), it almost seems more of a shame they had to run an experimental TDi in the final year with its teething problems rather than a more familiar petrol.

I've never lost the passion for SEAT, and whatever I go on to own in the future would always feel a real respect for a brand that does so much with effectively so little. I always wonder what SEAT could really achieve if they were given a little more freedom and money, and prayed under Audi they would get the right support and funding . They may be out of UK motorsport, but at least they have some decent cars to offer and the reputations growing all the time. The Leon Cupra R was testiment to how much the brand could achieve demonstrating they could deliver the best car on the platform. Effectively the Mk2 Cupra has done the same, and goes on to prove that if only they weren't so restricted in the use of materials that go into the internal finishings they would seriously continue to undermine VW.

Since 2005 we've been to a good few BTCC meets with SCN, and enjoyed the whole experience of the central parking, meeting other SCN'ers and getting up close to the event rather than enduring the ITV4 coverage/commentary. When I think of who remains in the BTCC, I have very little time for the VX boys, despite having massive respect for Gio's ability to keep it together when horribly out of shape. The other 2 VX'ers can ki$$ my ar$e. I'll watch a bit longer to see how Adam Jones goes, but often wish Matt Jackson had gone into some sort of SEAT as I think there's a lot more to come from him in future.

It appears SEAT have chosen to drop the 'Win on a Sunday, sell cars on a Monday' approach, and maybe want to focus on Ecomotion / tax friendly buyers. Audi dealers say that a good percentage of SEAT owners progress from performance SEAT's to performance Audi's rather than taking the VW route; this could prove to be a shot in the foot as it could dry up the feed of these buyers.

Accountants tend to have a 'today view' rather than seeing the 'long term evolutionary strategic view' when cutting costs, not realising by penny pinching today and giving the shareholders a few quid back now, they could be doing irrepairable long term damage to the brand. They don't care as they achieve their objectives and move on. It seems they are back-tracking on an ethos that's been in the making for 10 years with SEAT being the 'entry level sports brand for VW group'. It's a big mistake in my eyes as it's something it does so well, and I can only hope they have some other plans to help remind the public that SEAT is a serious contender in the sports hatch market [beyond the advertising alongside Ibiza 2008 on Living channel :-( ].

A sorry day indeed, and until SEAT wake up and realise they should be back in there gently massaging the ar$e end of the Vauxhall's off into the tyre walls (there are a good few debts that need repaying!), I'd like to say a big thank you to all the SCN mods who have spend time organising and arranging all the events in conjuction with SEAT Sport UK, and in the meantime you keep your fingers crossed for some kind of a return to motorsport.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
COXW - excellent post mate - well put.

Totally agree. It was a very well put post with a lot of emotion.

But I feel as a SEATSport UK fan who will convert to CVR for next season it is mainly talking to owners of SEAT's who are also tintop fans, 50% of the time, about the brand.

As someone who cannot drive to save his life and someone whose family have never bought and owned a SEAT (though we thought about the Leon and the Altea when looking for a new car recently) it is very hard for me to get into the brand actively. But that surely cannot exclude me from being as sad that SSUK are to no longer be a part of the BTCC. For me as a fan of the team it is more than just a loss of a brand. It will be the loss of something I believed in and admired.

Even though I cannot drive to save my life and my family have never owned a SEAT theirs still something about SEATSport UK that I fell in love with, even in 2004 (their maiden yea) when I was preminantly still a WSR fan, otherwise I wouldn't have become a SEATSport UK fan later on.
I cannot put my finger on it but it grew to me something more than what it was in the beginning; a team who had 'potential' and a 'future'. I think I grew to like the whole atmosphere that the team had about then. OK, sadly a meeting with Jase and Scott in 2006 or 2007 didn't materialise because the two girls on the hospitality suite thankfully did their job and didn't allow anyone in who wasn't on the list. But there was something that always made me happy and smile looking into the garage at the atmosphere at all the team doing their thing.

I too pray and pray hard they will see sense and return to the BTCC. We have the WTCC guys and things are looking good for Yvan Muller. But it is SSUK that we followed. And it is SSUK that I pray will one day return to the BTCC.

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008
whats everyone got against VXR, they are a competing BTCC team just like Seat, only VXR win championships hell of a lot more

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008
whats everyone got against VXR, they are a competing BTCC team just like Seat, only VXR win championships hell of a lot more

Dont get me wrong im gutted about Seat leaving the championship and its a massive loss to UK Motorsport,

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish

VXR, seem to "get away with things" sometimes.

Their drivers have been a bit "aggresive" in their style all season, (and yes, I am aware the Touring cars have always had the odd tap here, the odd shunt there) as highlighted at Silverstone, when (not before time), Gio was fined and has race license docked for his aggressive moves against Darren Turner.

If another of the teams were to "seemingly" get away with murder on a regular basis, I'm sure Forum members/SEAT fans would be equally pi55ed off with them.

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008

Their drivers have been a bit "aggresive" in their style all season, (and yes, I am aware the Touring cars have always had the odd tap here, the odd shunt there) as highlighted at Silverstone, when (not before time), Gio was fined and has race license docked for his aggressive moves against Darren Turner.

If another of the teams were to "seemingly" get away with murder on a regular basis, I'm sure Forum members/SEAT fans would be equally pi55ed off with them.

Tis true,

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
And at the end of the day, in any sport, a supporter of one team, will bitch about other teams, its human nature.

(Show me a Liverpool fan that likes Everton, A Chelsea fan that Likes Fulham, it don't happen, SEAT and VXR are rivals)

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006

It ain't just VXR too. Remember Chiltons move on DT at Oulton? The only reason why I am able to remember that is that it will probably go down as what it is; one of the biggest and most memorable talking points for this season.

I am not exactly a foremost authority on the traits of an agressive driver and I don't know one if one tailgaited me half way down the M1. But I am sure that even I can see Chilton was unsporting and reckless to make that move on DT.

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008
Im glad vauxhall do well, they are the only team that still with the btcc through thick and thin

Would anyone support Plato or Turner if they got a VXR drive????

I think so

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Im glad vauxhall do well, they are the only team that still with the btcc through thick and thin

Would anyone support Plato or Turner if they got a VXR drive????

I think so

I can't see such things happening.. and if they did, I don't think I could bring myself to support VXRs! :ban:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I think that the problem with the SEAT's being shunted off this year has been the fact very few can get past them on the straights. The VXR's/Civics have to get them in the corners, and if they haven't quite managed it through the corners then they feel justified in nudging them off in the middle of them.

We saw Plato have a huge off at the start finish straight in Knockhill thanks to Onslow Cole, and DT had a big moment/crash in the 'esses' at the back of the Knockhill course being helped off by a Civic I think (the list grows). This year I have felt that every time someone has had a pop at overtaking a SEAT that it would end in tears for us.

I never supported Plato in his Renault days, in fact I didn't like him much then for much the reasons I don't like the VXR guys much now. Matt Neal has an ounce or two of talent, but proved in 2007 at Snetterton that he would let Gio through and then hold Plato back knowing he was moving to Vauxhall next season. OK so that is the spirit of racing to some extent, but as a fan I'd rather see a real race between the 2 championship leaders right to the end rather than seeing Neal play god. He can be a dirty b@$tard sometime though on the track. Onslow Cole - something and nothing; again he has talent, but it's in the development phase. Take Matt Jackson by comparison, far better within his peer group. Then there's Gio. Despite not being a VXR fan, he is an astonishing driver. In my mind the best on track on a good day, and I have seen him recover more 'moments' than anyone else in 2007/8. He undoubtedly deserves to win, but then should win on merit rather than because it's easy to tip off a heavy front ended diesel.

The commentators make it worse for me as whenever someone from VX-R pushes someone off they believe it to be 'in the spirit of BTCC racing'. That's as long as its a VX-R doing the pushing. As someone said earlier they are almost the Ferrari of BTCC, and should anyone else try their tricks then it will be a trip to the stewards. Coincidence that the biggest teams in each F1 and BTCC chamionships cower favour??? Me thinks not. With SEAT on the out the stewards will be even nicer to keep them on side and in the racing to stop the BTCC becoming a foregone conclusion. If you know VXR will win the 'works' title at the first race at the first race of the season (due to being the only competitor), will you pay £26 a head all season to go and see a foregone conclusion?! Also losing the SCC means there is one less series to field for the money.

Although the chances of me moving to BMW in the future is probable (we went to see a '58 335d coupe yesterday afternoon), I will still support VAG teams in motorsport. VAG has been in my blood since I was 18, and I'm now 35. I've never owned another car marque and have never really wanted to. I will still be supporting the SEAT privateers in 09 until a VAG works team comes back in to BTCC.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members