SEAT Sport UK call time on the BTCC

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Wow. Sad news indeed. :(

Haven't had much of a chance to attend races this year. Was going to correct that next year. Alas, I won't be able to. :(

I've won a SEAT track day experience at the end of this month to hoon around the track with Leons and new Ibizas and a passenger ride with either Jason or Darren. I wonder if they will still be going? :shrug:

Scott

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Wow. Sad news indeed. :(

Haven't had much of a chance to attend races this year. Was going to correct that next year. Alas, I won't be able to. :(

I've won a SEAT track day experience at the end of this month to hoon around the track with Leons and new Ibizas and a passenger ride with either Jason or Darren. I wonder if they will still be going? :shrug:

Scott

I believe they will likely still be doing this, as it's something they will be no doubt be paid and contracted to do. Though they have no intentions of running in the BTCC in 2009, they will still want to clean up the loose ends of this year.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
mmm, so maybe SCC winner will get a drive in the Brands round of WTCC

Doubt it, I would expect they will probably come to some financial agreement with the winner of this years SCC. I'm sure they had it in the contract that the drive was not a guarantee.

It might take a while to sort out anyway as the championship may not be decided at Brands.

Robert Lawson saw his SEAT Cupra series lead evaporate after officials deducted him points for a technical infringement on his car at Silverstone – a decision that he has appealed to the sport’s governing body the Motor Sports Association. Lawson won race one and defending champion Jonathan Adam race two and it will be one of these who wins the title at Brands.

Shunter

Illogical decision?

I am gutted. But why take this action when the head of marketing at SEAT says they sell more hot hatches in the UK than anywhere else which proves what the BTCC has done to enhance their brand image. Surely he is making an argument for carrying on. It will be interesting to see what the "other marketing" will be.

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
I miss a few days on the forum and upon signing back in look what I find! :(

Terrible news, I can only echo what everyone has stated so far. Despite winning the manufacturers title in 2006, I can't help but feel it was all a little in vein given 2009 was looking so, so promising...

The best of luck to the entire team in whatever they do next, and thanks for providing a fantastic chapter in BTCC history :)

Come back soon ;)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I am gutted. But why take this action when the head of marketing at SEAT says they sell more hot hatches in the UK than anywhere else which proves what the BTCC has done to enhance their brand image. Surely he is making an argument for carrying on. It will be interesting to see what the "other marketing" will be.

Football it seems

http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/SEAT/site/company/sponsorship/main.html

if you look real close you can see what sponsoring gets them here, over headline Motorsport

milstad.jpg

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Shame we cant field an SCN car. Daft i know but im feeling a bit let down.

Hope SEAT dont feel they have an image problem in todays greener climate. SEAT Sport have worked wonders for the brand... it`s crazy. Very good chance of winning with the car next year.. would have stamped there authority with the tdi.

Maybe theres good solid financial reasoning for this. But would winning next year not be financially rewarding?

Whatever the reason i think an oppertunity has been missed.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
plato and muller on the same team? there'd have to be some very large bridges built:whistle:

A lot of that was just rubbish in the media, trying to stir things up. They actually get on fairly well and have respect for eachother. :)

Doubt it, I would expect they will probably come to some financial agreement with the winner of this years SCC. I'm sure they had it in the contract that the drive was not a guarantee.

It might take a while to sort out anyway as the championship may not be decided at Brands.

Robert Lawson saw his SEAT Cupra series lead evaporate after officials deducted him points for a technical infringement on his car at Silverstone – a decision that he has appealed to the sport’s governing body the Motor Sports Association. Lawson won race one and defending champion Jonathan Adam race two and it will be one of these who wins the title at Brands.

The prize on the SSUK site says "The 1st prize will be a chance of a lifetime, a SEAT Sport UK supported Touring Car event! ". Doesn't specify the BTCC, rather like the 2003 prize did.

Feel bad for the prospective SCC drivers for 2009, many who will have worked hard to get budgets in place. If you look at the SSUK site, they had a story only the other day about somebody who wanted to race in 2009.

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008
rumour has it that there is a new manufacturer coming into the btcc in 09

Wonder if its VW Audi or Skoda, anyone heard anything

Wouldn't explain the SCC getting the chop though

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
VW are looking at either an S2000 rally or WRC entry with either the new Scirrocco or the Golf 6. So unlikely.

Audi are too wound up in DTM and Sportscars. Skoda is involved in rallying too.

The rumour mill has a lot of theories, but Ford are maybe the most likely candidate and the most likely to challenge Vauxhall's dominance. I doubt BMW would enter being that they have a full and extensive motorsport programme, and seem to have a nice sideline selling independents BMW's.

Renault maybe looking at a return, but again they have an already extensive national motorsport interest.

Who knows..silly season begins. All we know for sure is SEAT are out as a manufacturer.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
There are rumours that BMW will have an official presence in 2009. BMW have a new M3 GT2 for the American Le Mans Series and it's rumoured that they'll downscale their WTCC commitments, with Priaulx racing this car for Schnitzer. That frees up BMW UK money to back a works team. Although from what I hear, Jackson is practically a full BMW UK operation anyway.

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008
silly season indeed i like that

i just trying to think whats gone on

honestly though i think the other team will be Honda ran by TD as works cars

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Question is guys, now our beloved team is about to bow out at BH for what we only know to be a desire to expand the brand into other areas of marketing...where do each of us go now? Where do each of you plan on being?

I will still wear my brand new SEAT jacket, baseball cap and tee-shirt (albeit as clothing and not anything symbolic of a followed team) but I am edging closer to a definitive answer.

My very start as a keen follower of the BTCC has it's roots in WSR. It will be like coming home going back to Team RAC. But as I am looking at the Team CVR website I am just all happy again.

I would love to follow Team CVR. They still run green/yellow Leons, a driver I very much respect (Dan Eaves) as probable No#1 driver, and Doug Bebb (former Team Manager at SSUK) again as Team Manager.

So my advice would be.....let us all now move en masse and sign up to be fully fledged supporters of Team Carbon Zero Racing. It will be hard to let go of SSUK but please believe me guys, this could be the dawn of a new era. Trust me on this one. Dan Eaves has a proven track record in the BTCC (and is known as the only driver to win all 3 races in the new 3-race format meeting) and both Team Principal Colin Neil and Phiroze Bilimoria I hope will have the makings of top drivers. Only thing am not sure about is bio-ethanol and how competitive it will be.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.