Serious eletrical issues on 1.4TSI Cupra Bocanegra

Aug 15, 2019
Hey guys. I have been electrical issues with my Cupra.

First I started having ESP/ABS/Tyre pressure lights. I plugged the car into the PC and it said it the front ABS sensor was done so I replaced it and everything was fine for a few months.

Then I started randomly having my power steering disabled when turning on roundabouts and had the light come on. Turning the car on and off would fix it for a while. I didn't really work hard to find the root cause because it wasn't affecting my normal driving. That is until I hit a post(minor cosmetic damage) because my ABS wasn't working(lights on) and my wheels locked. No damage occurred to the car but it made me try and find the fault more seriously.

Since then I can't connect to most of the modules on my Car. I try plugging in my diagnostics tool and it doesn't connect to some modules often. I tried with my small 50$ machine and the pro 2000$ VDCS cables. Both can't connect sometimes. Can gateway returns 9 errors which are the same as the second picture I uploaded. It lacks communications so all warning lights come on. (Engine, ABS,Transmission, steering angle,anti theft( which makes my car lock and unlock continiuously while driving, which is omega annoying). (Engine also gives an error "Can't connect to gateway A")

Dashboard often flickers, my speedometer isn't working( always at 0), RPM works tho. Fuel meter goes apeshit and turns on and off constantly.

Last month it got worse for no reason. Now my steering assist is off always and EPC lights came on too. Which makes the car really weak. First picture is my dashboard atm.

I've tried:

1. Checking all fuses. They're ok. None was blown up
  2. Putting in a new battery. Same
  3. I used a multimetre to check voltage on both battery and alternator. Both came up with 14V with engine on. So no foul play there either.
  4. Tried using several diagnostic tools but can't connect most of the times. The times I am able to connect there are no errors on the modules. The only module I can clearly connect to always is the HVAC/ELEC/CANGATEWAY modules. All the others are a roullete.
  5. I've tried resetting the ECU.
  6. I've disconnected most of the sensors and the problem continues.
I wonder if the ECU is dead(should I replace it) or if a wire must be shorting somewhere. I'm running out of ideas. Anyone else had the same issue?

Attachments

• 20210705_182530.jpg
    20210705_182530.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210424_144312.jpg
    20210424_144312.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 103
Sep 12, 2021
Hi, did you get this resolved? I have this similar issue with my bocanegra. The power steering went, I've replaced with a new power steering pump twice and I still have this issue. This is what I continuously get every time I try to drive the car. .. I'm getting all the same error codes as yourself and they come and go except the can module isn't being picked up. I have also checked everything that you have.
Thank so much for any advice you can give in advance.

Attachments

• 20210906_171417.jpg
    20210906_171417.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 101
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.