service due - can i change oil brand or is it bad for engine?

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
I've always run the most expensice fuchs long life oil, its quite pricey, but figured it was worth it as it was long life etc

however, i'm finding that the LCR burns the long life oil so i have to keep replacing it, and i always get the service done on cue, so is this false economy?

Can I move to a different less expensive fully synthetic oil an equal viscosity?
i'm currently using
Fuchs - TITAN super syn longlife plus 0w-30

If changing to a different oil wont harm the engine (complete drain and replace)
What advice/recommendations would you give on a less expensive alternative.

Sorry for another oil thread!
Cheers

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
the grand scheme of things oil aint that expensive. The Miller's XF long life 5w30 that I use you can get from Regal motorsport for £42 for 5Litres and its good ****. Oil filter is about £4 and sump plug about £1.50 so less that £50 for a service with good very oil. I had my oil sampled after 6,000 miles of quite hard driving in various conditions and was told this would have done another 10,000 miles so 16,000 miles in total

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Halfords at the minute is doing 5lts of mobil 1 fully synthetic 0w-40 for around £36.Top oil.Used it for the last 3 years for my LCR.

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
id change to either mobil 1 fully syn or the VW PLATINUM 5 40 Fully syn, was known as synta gold. Cheaper than most around £20 , still good oil obvioisly meets the requirments, would be run on this if it was serviced at seat. and with it being cheap but still good can obviously be changed more often which will do it more good than leaving the longlife oil in for over 10k+ id change it every 5 with the 5 40 plat, keeps it clean then, better to have the clean oil than the longlife more expsive for more than double the miles. dont fancy using the longlife stuff myself on an engine like that.. be better ro have regular changes

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
yes it will be ok, everbody has there own choice and different grades can be used. 0 30 5 30 5 40. id go for the 40 though, 30 a bit thin when warmed up.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
yes it will be ok, everbody has there own choice and different grades can be used. 0 30 5 30 5 40. id go for the 40 though, 30 a bit thin when warmed up.

my average drive it 25 mins, so probably stick with the 30

thanks for the advice
cheers

J0N

Defected!
Completely changing your oil to a different brand won't hurt your engine but mixing, ie filling up with one type and then topping up with another can be a bit iffy, especially with fully synthetic. £36 for Mobil 1 is a good price although I thought it came in 4 ltrs. I use the Quantum Synta Platinum.

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Yeh the 5w-30 comes in 4lts but for some reason the 0w-40 comes in 5lts which is enough for a full change without having to buy another 1lt container which is a complete rip off.
I know 5w-30 is the recommended viscosity but ive always used 0w-40 for better cold start protection.Had no problems at all and it doesnt use very much oil at all with mobil 1.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
i just called GSF and they wouldn't recommend anything other than the long life plus!!

how annoying
i mentioned the 504/507 normal fuchs fully synthetic and he was like NOOOOO

its £47 for the long life whereas the normal stuff is £18

any advice please as i need to get some today!

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
i just called GSF and they wouldn't recommend anything other than the long life plus!!

how annoying
i mentioned the 504/507 normal fuchs fully synthetic and he was like NOOOOO

its £47 for the long life whereas the normal stuff is £18

any advice please as i need to get some today!

Take it to Euro Performance ;)

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
As long as the oil is the right viscosity and meets the oem spec on the back, then the oil meets the requirement you need. The parts guy is probably thinking you are only going to change your oil at the specified service interval and that is why he is saying longlife and worried about being sued!

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
As long as the oil is the right viscosity and meets the oem spec on the back, then the oil meets the requirement you need. The parts guy is probably thinking you are only going to change your oil at the specified service interval and that is why he is saying longlife and worried about being sued!

i do only change it at the specified interval though (every 10k)
i obviously keep it topped up in between

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members