Shell Optimax

Ali_P

Super Unleaded?

It is at this point that I must point out that if you told me to put hamsters in the tank, I might do it.:drive2:

I'm a bit new to this.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Umm hamsters, well they might make it go faster.

At most petrol stations you will usually see two types of petrol, normally unleaded (usually marked 95 ron) and super unleaded which is marked anything from 97 to 99ron. Just to confuse things shell call their super unleaded Optimax and BP call it ultima

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
The ECU adapts to which ron you use, but 150/180bhp figures are based upon using super unleaded. Also total stations do a 97 ron, optimax is 95 but with an additive to make it 98 ron. BP's is straight from the refinary at 97 ron. Think tesco is supplied by esso but highest esso i've seen is 97ron, but tesco is 99ron

Last edited:

gazjones

i use optimax all the time and h can tell the diffreence on the odd ocasion ive had to used something else!

Ali_P

TimBarratt said:
You may also find you get pinking if you use normal unleaded which can cause damage in the long run.

Pinking?:shrug: I'm my God, I'm such a noob!:cry:

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
only once have i put normal unleaded 95 ron in and i will never do it again.
my car ran like a bag of sh1te

grq

Giggity
Jun 9, 2005
Ah the joy of diesels, only one fuel to choose from.

What about a mix of normal unleaded and some octane boosters?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
TimBarratt said:
You may also find you get pinking if you use normal unleaded which can cause damage in the long run.

interesting that you call it pinking, as I have always referd to it as pinging as that's the sound that ypu get

chase06

Aug 8, 2006
I just had a look in my supplied Seat Owners manual and found it to recommend 95RON standard Unleaded hence why I use that. It seems the Cupra requires a different fuel to the standard 150bhp FR. So technically, it shouldnt be pinking at all...

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
chase06 said:
I just had a look in my supplied Seat Owners manual and found it to recommend 95RON standard Unleaded hence why I use that. It seems the Cupra requires a different fuel to the standard 150bhp FR. So technically, it shouldnt be pinking at all...

Thats very strange the Leon Cupra 180bhp manual recommends 98ron and to only use 95 if nothhing else is available. Im sure my dads 1.6 Leon also says the same thing. I know if you dont put Super in my dads 1.6 it pinks quiet badly. I haven't tried my Cupra on 95 so i can't really say.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
chase06 said:
Maybe its only the 180bhp and above that it says it for. My manual and fuel flap say 98ron. (Plus my revo programme was super unleaded optimised so I try not to ever have to use normal)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.