Shell V-Power Diesel. Thoughts?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I noticed my Local Shell garage was stocking this when i popped in the other day, so i decided to fill up with it instead of the usual Shell Extra.
My initial thoughts are that it is a waste of money.
Reasons:
Over 100 miles i've noticed no improvement, but a couple of negative points.
The engine seems louder on tick over
More smoke when giving it some hammer
MPG sems roughly the same when cruising
When putting my foot down the car seems hesitant and less responsive.
After logging the power on Vag Com it seems to be 8 BHP down on previous runs.
Has anyone else found similair results, or even the opposite?
I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on wether it is worth the extra money or not.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Probably have to use 3-4 tank fuels to notice the difference. I use Shell Extra and my derv seems to love that. Used V-Power and didn't notice any difference although I only filled up once with it.

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it's part mixed with a bio-diesel, which in itself is supposed to be more efficient, give more power, less emissions, etc...

I've yet to find a garage who's got the stuff!

T

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Tried everything from texaco to shell v power and i can't tell the difference, as far as i can tell you need to drive like 'miss daisy' to gain more mpg and with all the torque of the Tdi i don't notice any difference in power either.

Conclusion for me is that if you're driving like you stole it, you might as well use the cheapest that's going.

Nick_J

Dec 18, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I always use normal Shell, (cos no shell extra in my area) and a shot of millers, works a treat, never seen a puff of smoke!

Ive used that combination for over 10k miles now, and seems to run sweat whenever :) My opinion tho!

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Just filled up this week with V-Power Diesel as my local have started stocking it. First impressions are the car feels slightly perkier and I always use Shell-xtra so I suppose it's a good comparison to see if it is different but I will reserve final judement until I have used the full tank and see what effect it has on economy.

Last edited:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
About 5P/pl dearer!

Logged power out put on block 20 and compared torque x RPM figures to last recorded figures.

That means bugger all mate.

Used V-Power religously for 3500 miles round Europe and it did make it more smokey, but must disagree with everything else. The clatter was down and the performance was fantastic considering it was hauling 3 people + luggage - hit 150 (147gps) on an autobahn and it was still accellerating, but i felt sorry for the turbo :D

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com

Used V-Power religously for 3500 miles round Europe and it did make it more smokey, but must disagree with everything else. The clatter was down and the performance was fantastic considering it was hauling 3 people + luggage - hit 150 (147gps) on an autobahn and it was still accellerating, but i felt sorry for the turbo :D

Hehe you wait till after you sold your car before you mention this:whistle: :cartman:

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham

Well it felt slow and the log backed it up, so i'm happy to accept it as being worse.
On the bypass today i booted it for a short while and it just wasn't pulling anywhere near what it can. The smoke is far worse than it ever was on Shell extra, and no where near as smooth.
I guess some people's engines behave differently to others. I can't wait to finish this tankfull off and put Extra back in.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Hehe you wait till after you sold your car before you mention this:whistle: :cartman:

Hehe nah, it didnt have much abuse at all, just a few lil 'Bahn storms to clear out the lungs, which you gotta do as otherwise the manifold may clog!! Honest guv! I was prefectly honest about it all anyway, i even gave Jenk the 14 1/4 mile slips from GTi Spring Fest... hehe :D

M6ccy69

My Other Beast Is a R1
Nov 18, 2006
Accrington
I always use normal Shell, (cos no shell extra in my area) and a shot of millers, works a treat, never seen a puff of smoke!

I`m liking the idea of never seen a puff of smoke! is this true? I`ve tried the v power diesel but only put 20 quids worth in, thought it was slightly better on performance but could just be in my head.

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
Hi my experience seems to be different my car doesn't seem to smoke anywhere near as much with v-power, i use v-power 90% of the time only time i dont is when i cant find a sheel garage close enough to fill up and in that case i use bp ultimate and has same effect dunno about performance or mpg gains as only filled it up a couple of times with the regular stuff but just smoked more

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
For me - using BP ultimate it seems to make it smokier and "cleans the engine" After a few miles it seems to clear and be a lot better.

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Just done 400 miles m-way and A-road bashing on a tankful of V-Power, and ..... I can't really tell the difference in performance OR economy.

I normally use Shell Extra ('cos it's the local garage) although the previous tankful was Tesco's finest :).

Problem is, my car has run more or less since new on Shell Diesel Extra, so any supposed benefits of "extra deposit removing" and a cleaner engine from these newer fuels probably won't benefit me 'cos the engine should NOT have built up serious deposits on injectors etc in the first place .... especially not the way it gets ragged from time to time :D

In my experience, I haven't found any of the so-called premium fuels to be worth the extra cash. Your mileage may vary :)

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Just done 400 miles m-way and A-road bashing on a tankful of V-Power, and ..... I can't really tell the difference in performance OR economy.

I normally use Shell Extra ('cos it's the local garage) although the previous tankful was Tesco's finest :).

Problem is, my car has run more or less since new on Shell Diesel Extra, so any supposed benefits of "extra deposit removing" and a cleaner engine from these newer fuels probably won't benefit me 'cos the engine should NOT have built up serious deposits on injectors etc in the first place .... especially not the way it gets ragged from time to time :D

In my experience, I haven't found any of the so-called premium fuels to be worth the extra cash. Your mileage may vary :)
Thats probably why mine isn't feeling any different. I've been using Shell Extra since day one, and also millers additive so my engine should be as good as it was new if the hype is anything to go on.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.