Shock and Spring Options

AndrewFabia

Hi all,

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade the suspension on his 51-plate 227bhp Ibiza Cupra. It's currently sitting on Gmax shocks and springs and the ride is horrendous, very bouncy and jarring. As a result, he is looking at getting something with decent ride comfort, a bit of a drop and decent ride comfort. Budget is approx £600.

We were looking into going down the coilover route, but having read a well-written thread on here and realised that the extra adjustment is unnecessary and possibly a liability (no track days etc), it seems that shocks and springs are a better option.

I pointed him in the direction of Eibach springs with Koni FSD dampers as that is what I have on my Skoda Fabia and they fit the bill, but it seems that you cannot get the FSD for the Mk3 Cupra. What are the other options which will provide decent comfort day-to-day, along with good handling etc?

Tried a search but nothing seemed to come up. Also, sorry for the long post!

Cheers,
Andrew

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Hi all,

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade the suspension on his 51-plate 227bhp Ibiza Cupra. It's currently sitting on Gmax shocks and springs and the ride is horrendous, very bouncy and jarring. As a result, he is looking at getting something with decent ride comfort, a bit of a drop and decent ride comfort. Budget is approx £600.

We were looking into going down the coilover route, but having read a well-written thread on here and realised that the extra adjustment is unnecessary and possibly a liability (no track days etc), it seems that shocks and springs are a better option.

I pointed him in the direction of Eibach springs with Koni FSD dampers as that is what I have on my Skoda Fabia and they fit the bill, but it seems that you cannot get the FSD for the Mk3 Cupra. What are the other options which will provide decent comfort day-to-day, along with good handling etc?

Tried a search but nothing seemed to come up. Also, sorry for the long post!

Cheers,
Andrew

Bilstein B4 for standard ride hight or the b6's for lowered. Use a variable rate spring like H&R this will give comfort and handling.

AndrewFabia

Thanks for that :)

What's the ride comfort like on H&R's? That kit seems to be quite good value.

JB!

Toight loike a Toiger
spending £600 i'd be looking at top-of-the-range weitec coilovers, shocks and springs are great, but being able to adjust the suspension to your exact preferred height and being able to raise/lower the car depending on what wheels are on it are why i prefer coils. just use motorcycle chaain lube on the threads before they go on, and check and re-apply whenever you have a wheel off and they'll be fine...

IF you still want fixed springs and dampers only, the H&R 60/40 cup kit rides very well.

emlyn11

Oct 28, 2008
Surrey
spending £600 i'd be looking at top-of-the-range weitec coilovers, shocks and springs are great, but being able to adjust the suspension to your exact preferred height and being able to raise/lower the car depending on what wheels are on it are why i prefer coils. just use motorcycle chaain lube on the threads before they go on, and check and re-apply whenever you have a wheel off and they'll be fine...

IF you still want fixed springs and dampers only, the H&R 60/40 cup kit rides very well.

Depends what he's after really. On the road I wouldn't get coilovers if you're after handling.
Obviously track is a different matter. But for practicality on the road the height adjustment
is a bonus. I'm unsure on what comfort is like on coilovers but if they are adjustable
damping you can just bang it on softest.

Emlyn

Depends what he's after really. On the road I wouldn't get coilovers if you're after handling.
Obviously track is a different matter. But for practicality on the road the height adjustment
is a bonus. I'm unsure on what comfort is like on coilovers but if they are adjustable
damping you can just bang it on softest.

Emlyn

I would say you're the wrong way round there buddy. Coilovers are good for track as you can adjust where necessary.
You can't really adjust on the road you have to keep it at a sensible level if you still want to be able to drive it.

Springs and shocks for the road, because they give you a nice set up for the road, not too stiff. My buddy has coilovers with adjustable dampening and even on the softest setting they are pretty stiff compared to my springs and shocks...

emlyn11

Oct 28, 2008
Surrey
Thats what I meant mate. Shocks and springs
will handle better on the road. I just said for practicality
that coilies are more convienient on the road but in my
experiance they are crashy.

For the road. Handling then get shocks/springs.
But slamming then get coilies.

And track it's coilies. But fully adjustable obv.

Emlyn

Emlyn

Sorry buddy I missed out the n't on your wouldn't! Appologies! :redface:

JB!

Toight loike a Toiger

Emlyn

i can garentee that the right £600 coils, provied they aint wound to the very bottom, will ride nicely!

the ones on my cupra are from one of the brands made by eibach, its pretty damn low and very comfortable and usable, without offensive archgap!

there were a set of VERY good bilsteins for a mk3 ibiza dirt cheap on here, a very good price for the money...

emlyn11

Oct 28, 2008
Surrey
i can garentee that the right £600 coils, provied they aint wound to the very bottom, will ride nicely!

the ones on my cupra are from one of the brands made by eibach, its pretty damn low and very comfortable and usable, without offensive archgap!

there were a set of VERY good bilsteins for a mk3 ibiza dirt cheap on here, a very good price for the money...

Yeah Bilsteins will be worlds apart from some of the cheapos alright. I had Koni adjustables
( not coilies) on my old 3 series and it absolutely stuck to the road on a medium/stiff setting.

I havn't really been out in a car with expensive coilovers on the road. I'm thinking of track
slagging mine soon anyway so may very well be getting some coilovers soon.

Emlyn

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members