Short shift non-fitting

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
A mate of mine just got a new quicksfift for his Audi S3, as he didn't like the Forge one on it. So he offered me his for £30. rude not to i thought.
I've just been out trying to fit it there, and it wont go onto the spined shaft on my gearbox. I thought they were the same for all 6 speed VAGS but when welined my current one up against the Forge one, the new one appears to have a smaller diameter hole for the spines.
I've just checked on Forge's website, and the one that fits the A3 (here), says it will fit my Cupra R, and the one that is listed for my Cupra R, says it'll fir the S3 too, so obvioulsy the same part.
Anyone got any ideas what could be going on here?

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
I got my LCR one off with a good bit wiggling, WD40, and a bit tapping with a makeshift hammer (spanner and extension bar) and could get it back on okay, but the one that came off the Audi just wouldn't go on. I'm sure the hole in the Forge unit was smaller than the LCR one i took off.
My mate has taken it away again now for another mate with a new shape Leon, so i can't re-compare the size of the hole again.

EmDee

Omnishambolic
You could always just drill a hole into the original one and put a bolt through it - no need to replace the part at all.

DSC00493-1.jpg

Pic blatantly stolen from J0N ;)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
You could always just drill a hole into the original one and put a bolt through it - no need to replace the part at all.

DSC00493-1.jpg

Pic blatantly stolen from J0N ;)

grrr.. first my pic was claimed to be DKs, now J0Ns! :p

Was just a bolt I had knocking around; think its an m14, bout 60mm long. Put it through the shifter, then a nut, then the cable end and then the locking nut. :)

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
or just keep looking for one :)

people also put the TT /r32 ones on (prob same as lcr ones )

about 20 quid from dealer

TBH i wouldnt pay top wack for the forge adjustable one as i have never adjusted it , its set at very shortest and its staying like that :

contemplating the side to side one but again unless it comes up cheap then will wait

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
LOL

Well I knew I stole it from someone, I just didn't realise it had been stolen before I stole it.

lol.. it is doing the rounds! it's been on over 18months now and still working perfectly..no notchiness at all :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.